Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling the background

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

When I meditate, I often relax into a state of feeling. So I am not thinking anymore, but I’m not in pure being, instead there is a pleasant kind of background which I “feel”. It’s like the sensation of being in a warm bath, fuzzy and relaxed. Does this make sense?

I wonder wether I am getting attached to bliss or bodily pleasure when I turn to this feeling. Sometimes it seems almost alive, as if little shocks of surprise travel along it.

Bunkslobster

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

This kind of concentration is something I’ve only experienced a few times, and it’s usually only momentary for me. I wouldn’t worry – it sounds like good samadhi :)

BunkslobsterJeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think I can relate. What I think you're describing sounds to me like what I would consider connecting with the felt sense of the body. Does that make sense to you?

• This is Sthirasukhasana according to Patanjali

Asana is thus a posture that one can hold for a period of time, staying relaxed, steady, comfortable and motionless. Patanjali does not list any specific asana, except the terse suggestion, "posture one can hold with comfort and motionlessness". Āraṇya translates verse II.47 of Yoga sutra as, "asanas are perfected over time by relaxation of effort with meditation on the infinite"; this combination and practice stops the quivering of body.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga_Sutras_of_Patanjali

In my yoga practice this gentle relaxed physical being comes most easily at the moment, in kneeling, lotus posture, dog pose, standing and some taoist/martial stances/asana. The body can be gently coaxed into relaxing, just as the mind and heart can be relaxed/opened.

So sure, it makes sense ... :)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Thanks guys, I wasn’t sure whether this was something I should avoid or not. It felt like something that I got “drawn” to, some kind of desire manifesting.

I suppose I should just let it come and go, without getting attached.

lobsterShoshin
  • You can experience this physical sensation in movement ...
    https://buddhismnow.com/2010/05/28/walking-meditation/

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I suppose I should just let it come and go, without getting attached.

When it comes to meditation ...the way I "know" that I'm doing things right (which is not very often :) ) is usually when "I" don't know...

"I am" like the proverbial spanner in the works... "I" screw things up :):)