Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator comment:

@Shoshin said: From what I gather she was banned...

Correct

what for I'm not sure..

Confidential, and not up for discussion.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Be well @Kundo .....

• Just found my old tmxxine logo. Tmxxine is pronounced time machine incidentally ...
    Climate change action have an hour glass logo too ...

• Two things I’ve come across this week that are new to me:

Pescatarianism - never heard the word until now and have come across it twice from unrelated places in the past week. It sounds somewhat appealing to me.

The Minimalists - am currently reading one of their books and can’t believe I had never heard of them before. I had a minimalist mindset anyway but this is again something really appealing to me.

I know, I’ve been living under a rock!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Lee82 said:.. I know, I’ve been living under a rock!

That's pescatarially minimalist if nothing else!

lobster
  • Has anyone checked out the new Veg book by Jamie Oliver? Just seen it in Asda and looks to have some great vegetarian recipes in it. Might have to pick it up and try it out.

lobster
    edited September 2019

watched some of the series. looks good....

ETA: Read some of the reviews on Amazon and for the most part, buyers were very impressed, but one long-time vegetarian rated Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg cookbook as better and their standard 'go to' so you could have a look at that one as well.

Strike 4 Climate Auckland

Drone footage of Friday's climate action march in Auckland shows tens of thousands of people calling for more to be done against climate change.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Strike 4 Climate Auckland

Drone footage of Friday's climate action march in Auckland shows tens of thousands of people calling for more to be done against climate change.

“This video is restricted from playing in your current geographical region”

I’m sure it was impressive though 👍

That's just weird. I can see it.

Yes it was @Bunks :) Not sure why people in Oz can't see it...

• Got my ebike this week. Liberating. It makes me want to ride instead of have to ride. Personal trips to the store or the Dr don"t require using the street tank, parking hassles. I get exercise and enjoy the trip. I can go on a short trip just for fun. It reminds me of my old moped without the gas/oil nonsense. Quieter too. B)
    Caution, caution...the drivers around here tend to give no quarters. I never go out on anything with two wheels without a helmet.

adamcrossleylobster

The other day it was raining and whilst out walking I stopped by a pond

Cause & effect ... Ripples..

And today I observed the underwater world of hermit crabs in a rock pool...

@Shoshin said:
    Yes it was @Bunks :) Not sure why people in Oz can't see it...

It’s a conspiracy man!! They don’t want us to know..... :)

Shoshin

I've been off coffee for a number of years and in the last 12 months I've stopped caffeine altogether ie, I stopped drinking 'normal' tea...Anyhow I've been drinking herbal teas for quite some time and used to drink chicory instant coffee alternative many moons ago but stopped drinking it, however just recently I recently came across these ...

A change is as good as a holiday...and a pleasant change it is :)

Bunkslobster

Talking of Holidays: Ok listen up, crew:

I will be away with my nearly-90-years-old mother for 10 days, visiting her older sisters (!) and the rest of my family there, most of whom I haven't seen for over 45 years! (I know, right...?!)

So from October 1st, through to the 10th, I am outta here. The odd, sporadic look-in might be possible, but improbable.
    I have naturally informed 'The Management' but because of recent tragic events, I think their hands may be tied too.
    Behave yourselves, I'm counting on you to be the great gang I know you are!

(Fede scurries off to finish packing....)

BunksVastmind
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Thanks for letting us know. If we throw a party, we promise to clean up afterwards :p

Are you going to Italy? Whereabouts are your family from?

lobsterVastmind

I'm having a problem signing in...I have to keep changing my password in order to log back in...I tried not logging out yesterday, but this morning I found I was logged out again...

When the sign in box appears, it use to had my details eg email address and password all ready to go, but when I clicked on it, a notice appeared on the bottom left of the screen in black saying something along the lines of cannot use stdclass as array....

How do I fix it ? bearing in mind I'm not that computer savvy especially when it comes to tech talk...

1: please post this in the site questions sub-forum newbuddhist (dot) com

2: mark it for "at"Linc's attention, but bear in mind he is preoccupied with tragic events right now so don't expect an immediate answer.

Shoshin

There again, @Linc might see it sooner than I thought. I'm often wrong that way...

Thanks @federica ....Beautiful spot BTW...I hitch hiked through Italy back in the early 80s from Brindisi up the boot through into Switzerland ..Spectacular scenery along the way...Can't remember the names of all the beautiful places I passed through...just the beautiful scenery...

Bunks
    edited September 2019

Well something really weird just happened I had to reload the site and when I did I noticed a LOL from "me" on the post you posted which "I" didn't do ...anyhow I've since removed it...Hmm well then again I might have accidentally clicked on it by mistake...instead of Awesome...

• Thanks for letting us know. If we throw a party, we promise to clean up afterwards :p

Cyber dharma-Party time!

I am inviting Chen Re Sing, Man Jew Shree, Tara Ra Bomseday and Sheikh Ya-Moony. Maybe Body D’Amour is available?

Here is the official invite:

...and I'll bring the defilements :)

lobster
  • Wait, are Linc and Brian the same person?

No. Maybe in some ultimate sense ...

However in the conventional, no.

Bunksadamcrossley

Hi gang! Connection bad, so making it brief. No, Brian and Linc are definitely 2 different people. AFAIK this website is Brian's creation, but Linc is Head Honcho and total tech-wizard. He is also completely responsible for all technical management, alterations, updates and improvements.
    I had to save and store the above 3 times before being able to post. Dodgy connection here. Bye for now, save me something from your party!!

adamcrossleyBunksVastmind

Thanks for clearing that up, @federica. By the way, is this a new sticker? I haven’t seen it before.

Very fancy 😏

edited October 2019

After work this morning I went into town ( caught the ferry over to Auckland)...I wanted to check out the "Hard to find books" secondhand book shop, which had moved from the suburbs closer to Auckland central...Anyhow on my way from the ferry to the shop I heard Indian music playing and saw crowds of people gathered in the street...It's Dewali "The festival of lights"

The festival will go on all weekend....I might come back tomorrow....
    At the book shop I bought four books... "Not always so" Shunryu Suzuki..."Questions to a Zen master" Taisen Deshimaru...."Buddhism without beliefs" Stephen Batchelor and a nother copy of "The way of Zen" Alan Watts (I have an old copy which is falling apart)...

The Hard to find books shop has been around for years...lots of interesting books on all kinds of topics, I used to visit the shop back in the 90s ....

lobsterBunks

@Shoshin, it sounds like a great shop if you found all those texts. Is The Way of Zen a good read? I’ve been meaning to get a copy for a while.

Shoshin

Yes it's an amazing shop, it's in a large old renovated colonial house with books galore (well it may have originally belonged to the church),,, one could spend hours wandering around looking at books (I was in the shop for around a hour and half yesterday)...

And yes it's an interesting book... like all of the Alan Watts books I've read, his way with words (translating experiential experience into words) makes it easy to digest for the Western mind...

adamcrossleylobsterBunksFosdick
  • I’ve jumped down the minimalism rabbit hole this past week and it really speaks to me. I’ve been reading the books by Joshua Fields Milburn and Ryan Nicodemus aka The Minimalists. The idea of living intentionally to free up time for what adds value to your life sounds much like a Buddhist philosophy, and I’ve already started to let go of more things, and attachment to things. I think I could get rid of 95% of my “stuff” without a second thought. An interesting line of research if it sounds appealing to you.

Next book on my list to get is Stillness is Key by Ryan Holiday who was interviewed recently on The Minimalists podcast.

BunkslobsterJeroenShoshin
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Last night in the studio there was a small moth in my work area, flapping its delicate wings in apparent agitation, but unable to take flight. Taking this small being in my hand, I applied fingertip Reiki, which appeared to quiet it, but I could feel that it was dying. It passed away in my hand, I felt it go. It was very sobering, I felt that I had received a transmission of some kind, one which I cannot or don't care to articulate, but which moved me deeply, so that I was unable to work for the rest of the evening.

The language really needs a genderless pronoun other than 'it', don't you think?

adamcrossleylobsterBunksShoshin
  • She died @Fosdick

All beings including mothmen and mothwomen are considered mother beings in Tantra.

OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA

FosdickBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A colourful and interesting place...

http://www.damanhur.org/en

@Kerome said:
    A colourful and interesting place...

http://www.damanhur.org/en

Ah yes, another attempt at Utopia.......good luck to them! <3

Did you know...

Navayana Buddhists comprise about 87% (7.3 million) of the Indian Buddhist community.

and...

Navayana rejects practices and precepts such as renouncing monasticism, karma, rebirth in afterlife, samsara, meditation, enlightenment and the Four Noble Truths.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navayana

In other words the vast majority of Buddhists in India, the birthplace of the faith, reject almost everything we believe the Buddha taught. The reason for this transformation was to forge a way out of the harsh oppression of the Dalit people, led by Dr Ambedkar.

lobster
  • Thanks for that @adamcrossley, sounds good to me ...
    Here is Dr Ambedkar's last book ...
    http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00ambedkar/ambedkar_buddha/

edited October 2019

Actually, @adamcrossley, the Buddha was born in Lumbini, which is - and always has been - In Nepal, not India.
    India makes the claim, but the Nepalese are ferociously defensive of the fact that the Buddha was Nepalese. Not Indian.

Jeroen
    edited October 2019

@federica said:
    Actually, @adamcrossley, the Buddha was born in Lumbini, which is - and always has been - In Nepal, not India.
    India makes the claim, but the Nepalese are ferociously defensive of the fact that the Buddha was Nepalese. Not Indian.

Thanks for the point of information. I was aware of this actually. Wouldn’t it still be fair to say that India was the birthplace of the Buddhist faith? That was where he practised, became enlightened, gave teachings, etc. Lumbini is on my bucket list though. I’d love to make a pilgrimage to the holy sites. Anyone done this?

You'd have to put that question to the Nepalese. All I know is that they strongly resist the suggestion that the buddha was Indian. The Buddha wasn't buddhist. Buddhism has now spread so far and wide, laying claim to its origin is contentious to them...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My father went to Nepal a few years ago, he came back with some glowing stories of the mountain views and a few Buddhist sites.

Well the so-called invincible All Blacks finally lost to England ...
    A nation morns its loss...whilst another celebrates its win...

Ah Dukkha...don't you just love it :)

Bunks

...On the bright side :)

The "Great Prayer Festival" is on next weekend at the Aotea centre in Auckland....

2019 marks 600 years since the passing of master Tsongkhapa, one of the greatest Tibetan scholar-practitioners of Buddhism. As the founder of the Gelug tradition, his spiritual lineage continues to flourish throughout the world, benefiting countless people including New Zealanders since the 1970s. The Great Prayer Festival will celebrate master Tsongkhapa's life and legacy by following his example of bringing people together to make vast aspirational prayers and extensive offerings. These prayers were taught by the Buddha and various great masters of India and Tibet to guide us on the path to awakening, and to dedicate our efforts for the benefit all sentient beings. Master Tsongkhapa started the tradition of the Great Prayer Festival to act as a cause for the flourishing of Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings, the source of ultimate happiness. The inaugural Great Prayer Festival in Aotearoa New Zealand is dedicated to carrying on master Tsongkhapa's tradition, praying that the Buddha's teachings can benefit our country and the wider world for as long as possible.

I'm thinking of attending, but as of late, I've found I can't sit in a hall where incense are burning..I've become quite (dare I say highly) sensitive to fumes of any kind and smoke being a major one...
    I attended a Dharma Talk a couple of months ago and couldn't concentrate on the talk due to the smoke from all the incense burning...the impact of being around smoke (respiratory problems) tends to linger on even when I move out of harms way...

It's possible incense are not allowed in the Aotea Centre

Bunks

I came across this earlier...

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Let’s put that into perspective. If we shorten that to scale to 46 years, we’ve been here 4 hours. Our industrial revolution began 1 minute ago, and in that time we have cut down more than half the world’s forests... Let’s try and make the next minute more sustainable.

adamcrossleyShoshinBunks

... And 'Awesome'...!

That sounds like a great day, @Shoshin. Which island do you live on? And how did you get back up the rope?

Bunks