Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A minor but important change to the site

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

I wanted everyone to know that I've made a small edit to the reactions on our site. The "Awesome" reaction has been renamed "Hugs".

"Awesome" feels too cheery and somewhat dismissive; for many of us, online culture has moved around to the heart emoji being used to support and bolster our friends, both in times of joy and times of sadness. When you want to show solidarity, emotional support, and kindness to someone on something they post, a "heart" can seem appropriate, but the word "Awesome!" might not cut it. Hugs are more personal, and can be both celebratory and consoling.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions about this change. I hope it helps.

ShoshinlobsterfedericaBunksVastmindpersonajhayesJasonDhammikaKotishka

Comments

• Can we do hugs and inciteful to gather? Good call. Exactly right. Also does LOL, still mean Lots Of Luv? 💗

Probably gone wrong agin ... :o

BunksBriansatcittanandaWalker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I can see advantages either way, Awesome allows you to express agreement, while Hug allows you to express sympathy. Certainly I’ve sometimes missed having a Hugs button, but Awesome does have its uses.

Fosdick
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Maybe add another emoticon for 'awesome'...?

Fosdicklobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited October 2019

@lobster said:
    Also does LOL, still mean Lots Of Luv? 💗

One of my favourite cringe stories was told by a Vet on television who, when sent a text message a few years ago from a female friend saying her dog had died, responded with......you guessed it!....... LOL :D

yagrlobster
  • oh dear ... acronyms ... do you know what they stand for? 🤗

Bunks
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited October 2019

Pairing a heart icon with an 'awesome' label was rather clever and quite useful. The icon conveyed empathy, it's label conveyed not just insight but inspirational insight. Three feedback buttons in one, essentially. 'Hugs' conveys only empathy. The change functionally reduces the number of feedback buttons available - where more, in my opinion, would be desirable.

Gassho '\

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2019

"Awesome" feels too cheery and somewhat dismissive; for many of us, online culture has moved around to the heart emoji being used to support and bolster our friends, both in times of joy and times of sadness. When you want to show solidarity, emotional support, and kindness to someone on something they post, a "heart" can seem appropriate, but the word "Awesome!" might not cut it. Hugs are more personal, and can be both celebratory and consoling.

I'm a real world hugger...I think @Brian 's explanation makes sense ...and a cyber hug's the next best thing when one can't be there in person... sounds good to me...

After a while, I'm sure we'll all grasp why a hug was given "celebratory or consoling" to a particular post...by the post's contents...
    Hugs

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Brian, @Linc, don't know whether minor tweaks are going on, but on the discussion index page, if I used to click on a discussion to see the latest comments, the action would take me straight to the latest comment. Now, if I click on a discussion, it takes me to the top of the page, and I have to manually scroll down to the latest comment...
    Also, '"Who's online" used to be at the bottom; it got moved to the top, and now it's back down at the bottom again?

I know @Linc once had plans afoot to re-organise and update the site, and let us know about a new logo, text etc, and matters have arisen to de-prioritise this, which is not an issue at all. Just thought I would mention the seemingly little hiccups going on, and bring it to the attention of those who tweak!

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

The login also still doesn't work.

@seeker242 said:

What do you mean...? I can login and out... no problem?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@federica said:

@seeker242 said:

What do you mean...? I can login and out... no problem?

On all my computers the only way I can login is by clicking forgot password, then go to email and click the link and change password.

If I try to login normally is just gives an error ""Cannot use object of type stdClass as array"

Same as described here. https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/26328/cant-log-back-in-when-ive-logged-out#latest

oooh-er!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve had some trouble with the private messaging, I was trying to send a message to another member but I couldn’t type their name into the recipients window, I tried with and without an @ sign but on hitting return after typing the name the typed text would vanish...