Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A look at Dia de los Muertos from an atheist perspective

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2019 in Faith & Religion

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator

Thanks!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2019

We just did this! My tenth grader takes Spanish in school and as a project we were up last night making an Ofrenda. A Mexican altar for loved ones that have passed. She was assigned Ava Peron. After hours of using a hot glue gun to adhere flowers, incense, skulls, candles and fruit to the inside of a decorated shoe box, we found ourselves discussing how nice it would be spending this time talking and thinking of a loved one in this way.... and feeling they are honored and remembered without the “given” reward of a heaven. She described what she would want hers to look like and vice versa. ...peaceful talk without being morbid and depressing.

ShoshinJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2019

It’s a good way to introduce kids to the concept of death, and also to give death a place in the calender. I like it better than Halloween... here is Pixar’s take on it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, I watched ^^ this ^^ at my daughter's house, it's delightful!

Vastmind