Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stay positive!!

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited November 2019 in Mindfulness

Trying to be optimistic doesn't mean ignoring the uglier sides of life. It just means focusing on the positive as much as possible-and it gets easier with practice.

Foster Optimism:
-Write about a positive future.
-Search for the silver lining.

Practice Gratitude:
-share good news
-write a gratitude journal
-write thank you letters
-remind yourself to savor

Avoid Negative Thinking:
-Avoid dwelling on downers.
-Change unhealthy self-talk.
-Ask yourself if your negative thought is really true.
-Consider alternative explanations and avoid all or nothing train of thoughts.

The link then goes on to break down each of these and ways to practice them...

https://www.mhanational.org/stay-positive

What tools/ways do you use to stay positive? :)

personJeroenlobsterShoshinadamcrossley

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm definitely a silver lining person. And I've done a fairly good job of internalizing self compassion, self talk as a friend rather than a cruel task master. IMO a gratitude practice is one of the most powerful things we can do for our mental health.

I think also taking the attitude, "If there is something to do about it, why worry; If there is nothing you can do about it, why worry" is helpful.

Having an optimistic attitude means you are more likely to notice the positive things in life and are primed to pick up on and take advantage of opportunities when the arise, giving you a greater chance of positive outcomes.

https://www.verywellmind.com/the-benefits-of-optimism-3144811

VastmindJeroenlobsterShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I drink plenty of cups of tea, take enough rest, and enjoy time spent with loved ones. Also I’m naturally quite optimistic. I’ll have to think about exactly what I do...

Shoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've been trying to be intentional about recognizing the value difficulties have in terms of building character and developing wisdom. The types of suffering I notice and are moved by the most are the ones that I have undergone as well, and I have experience in how to deal with them.

VastmindShoshin
  • @Vastmind said:
    What tools/ways do you use to stay positive? :)

Everything I can.

At the moment personal gardening, spending time on clearing and preparing our garden. The garden was taken up with a felled cherry tree.
    I now have cyclamen, narcissi for the spring and my first batch of early broad beans have been putting up shoots (Starting them off indoors) two Buddhas ...

I enjoy taking photos, for example this morning ...

Meditation and yoga, great family food time. All good stuff ...

VastmindShoshin
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Anticipate as many outcomes as possible from a given situation or action, and cheerfully accept all of them. Raw optimism is too frequently a one-way ticket to depression, and pessimism is depression perpetuated. Coarse tools produce uneven results.

Be present in the moment. A beautiful moment -be there! An ugly moment - be there!

@lobster! Are those your feet?

Shoshinperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2019

What tools/ways do you use to stay positive?

By appreciation of the little things in life which are often overlooked...

& developing the habit of letting go...

And of course what I've found important is to maintain a healthy sense of humour ...which enables one to also see the funny side of life, as it ebbs & flows... it's relative nature...Which leads me to lossen up mentally and to not take my so-called life too seriously...

Like the impermanent nature of all component things ...shit also comes and goes...it's nothing special

lobsterVastmindpersonSuraShine
  • @Fosdick said:

No they are boots

(I iz positively wikid) 🥰

FosdickShoshinSuraShine
  • Be present in the moment. A beautiful moment -be there! An ugly moment - be there!

From the very strange Aghori 😶
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2975435/Incredible-images-life-India-s-cannibal-Aghori-tribe.html
    we can perhaps without a need to indulge in their lifestyle, appreciate the inherent 'one taste'. The beauty in the gnarled, twisted grotesque and the ugliness of some cultural beauty.

This going beyond our accustomed norms of perception comes from this be there without judgement and preferences. Be there, be present is good advice. Stillness is our perception of choice ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:

@Fosdick said:

No they are boots

But are they your boots?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@lobster said:

Be present in the moment. A beautiful moment -be there! An ugly moment - be there!

From the very strange Aghori 😶
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2975435/Incredible-images-life-India-s-cannibal-Aghori-tribe.html
    we can perhaps without a need to indulge in their lifestyle, appreciate the inherent 'one taste'. The beauty in the gnarled, twisted grotesque and the ugliness of some cultural beauty.

This going beyond our accustomed norms of perception comes from this be there without judgement and preferences. Be there, be present is good advice. Stillness is our perception of choice ...

Interesting article @lobster

As the old saying goes..."Shit happens" ...and they just happen to feed on it too.. ;)

lobster