Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What women want out of a man

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I thought this was a very good, telling article. In a way our relationships tell us where we are at with out emotional maturity, which is a slightly different aspect to life than what we usually encounter as meditators. It develops a slightly different set of skills, but there is some overlap, for example in insight and developing a sense of our emotions.

Anyway, if this is where modern manhood is taking us, perhaps there is some hope...

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2019/04/to-be-worthy-of-a-good-woman-a-man-must-do-these-6-things/

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Two words spring to mind.

'Dream' and 'on'.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Yeah... but if you read some of the things that are written, there is a kind of crisis in masculinity at the moment. I think there is a segment of the male population who are having difficulty with the end of patriarchy. Even in buddhist circles there is still a lot of male dominance, and articles like this one, which take a sounding of emotionally-mature female voices, are a good contribution.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

What women want isn't the problem. What men think, is.

We don't need to address the desires of women from their menfolk. We need to address the fundamental issue that is patriarchy.
    We don't need to address this from the women's stance of what women want. We need to look at it from the aspect of what we DON'T want.
    And what we don't want, is what has been going on for millennia, and is still tragically, demonstrably going on, even in this day and age.

adamcrossleyBunkslobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Basically what women want is for men to be different to how most of their fathers were!

Good luck with that.......

DairyLama

@Bunks said:
    Basically what women want is for men to be different to how most of their fathers were!

Good luck with that.......

Actually... My father was a strident feminist and once alienated a "good" family friend who had a whole bunch of history completely wrong; he knew nothing about the true origins of deity-worship and put women very firmly in a non-contributory role, whereupon my dad gave him a lecture (complete with verbal references - !) on the role of the Goddess Catalhöyük, and how, thanks to the Akkadian King Sargon who conquered Sumer (now known as Iraq)in 2400BC, women were subjugated and beaten into submission (literally!) by political, patriarchal laws.

This 'friend' was a Yoga Swami, a learned gentleman with a stout reputation, so to have his authoritative knowledge fractured and shattered, gave his Ego a sound thrashing. He was quite unnerved by my father's adjustment of his flawed education, and was somewhat nonplussed that Patriarchy existed, not as a natural unfolding of things, but as a result of suppression, intimidation and domination by men.
    What made it worse is that, according to his wife, he intensified his desire to be right, by doing extensive research, but found at every turn, that my father had been correct.
    He refused to talk to my father for over a year, such was his perceived injury.

Women have been given the short end of the stick for over 4000 years. Is it really surprising we'd like our ball back?

adamcrossleyFosdickBunkslobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2019

What women want is the moon on a stick. :D
    But seriously, I would like to see the results for a parallel survey called "What men want". I suspect the results would be rather similar. The women I've been involved with over the years have invariably been strong women, and often stronger than me.
    So I don't see this as a feminist issue particularly, it's more to do with how people deal with their emotions.
    As it happens, I was converted to feminism in Putney, London, circa 1978
    Please don't bore me with feminist anecdotes. I used to visit Chiswick Women's Aid, and met Erin Pizzey several times. Another long story. 😆

I wouldn't dream of boring you with anecdotes, given that I worked in relationships counselling and saw for myself all too often, the results of domestic disputes which one side would refer to as "I was pushed too far/provoked" and the other would term "Battered 7 bales of shit out of me."

Yeah...

But this -

But seriously, I would like to see the results for a parallel survey called "What men want".

is contestable.

Because men have been having 'what they want' and frankly, taking it, for millennia, and it's only recently that men have opened up and been in touch with their feminine side.
    Yup, read that again.
    Displaying emotions, and dealing with them, is often termed as a man being 'in touch with their feminine side.'
    Which really says it all and speaks volumes.

I honestly am not having a go at you personally, @DairyLama, but it irritates me somewhat, generally, when an issue of feminine demand comes up and some gentlemen start discussing "well what about our rights/.feelings/demands/?" unconscious of the fact that hitherto, women have always historically been placed in a supporting role and have always been asked to put others first and have always been cast in secondary roles. Literature is full of books and poems, writings and stories of the subjugated, 2nd class feminine role, and the moment women protest at the unfairness, there is the inevitable backlash of "what about us then?" from men, oblivious to the fact that this is precisely the point.
    Feminism as a concept has existed, as a tangible demand, since the 60's when the pill was commercially made available, and women burnt their bras.
    And ever since then, certain circles of Patriarchy have worked tirelessly to push that concept down, crying hysteria (now there's a word to conjure with!) and unreasonableness, all the while still paying women less for doing the same jobs, taking the credit for pioneering, groundbreaking work with never a mention of the true genius behind the result, penalising and victimising them for daring to bear children while holding down a job, abd criticising them based on looks, age and clothing.

The reason this is so funny, is because it is precisely true.
    And pertinent.

lobster
    edited November 2019

We seem to have clichéd versions of both Buddhism and Feminism on this forum. Neither is convincing, and both smell like BS.

Writing long posts doesn't make you right, it just makes you inarticulate. Or even worse, it just makes you seem self-indulgent, used to pontificating with no serious challenge.

edited November 2019

Which is precisely what I am talking about. Thank you for making my point so eloquently. QED.

@federica said:
    Which is precisely what I am talking about. Thank you for making my point so eloquently. QED.

Meaningless point-scoring cliche, as usual. Your usual response when people disagree with you.

You think this is the way to make people feel welcome here? "If you dont agree with me, I'll ban you?" I've seen you do it.

• I sure can't answer for women. I can't answer for men. I do think that basically that honesty, dependability, generosity of spirit, graciousness and forgiveness are some things we all might be looking for, regardless of gender.

Peace to all

Bunkslobsteradamcrossley
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

A nice bum is handy too.......(ducks for cover)

federicaLionduck
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2019

@Kerome said:
    Yeah... but if you read some of the things that are written, there is a kind of crisis in masculinity at the moment. I think there is a segment of the male population who are having difficulty with the end of patriarchy. Even in buddhist circles there is still a lot of male dominance, and articles like this one, which take a sounding of emotionally-mature female voices, are a good contribution.

I'm lucky in that I've had a lot of good female teachers and role models in my life, my mom being the biggest. In terms of my Buddhist practice, I've been lucky as well. While my first few teachers in Michigan were male monks, one of my primary meditations teachers in California was Mary Orr. I also spent time with Ayya Tathaaloka. And when I moved to Oregon, I found Sakula from Portland Friends of the Dhamma. All were invaluable. Because of that, I think I have less of an issue with listening to and learning from women than other men, and I'm glad that there are more and more women in teaching and leadership roles. I'm also thankful for being exposed to those who have made the effort to push against patriarchal biases and power imbalances, such as those who support the ordination of women. Because what I think many women ultimately want is equality and less toxic gender norms.

Bunkslobsteradamcrossley

@Bunks said:
    A nice bum is handy too.......(ducks for cover)

That's a nice gender neutral observation! :D

Bunkslobster
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited November 2019

That is true of women, men and children. All want respect and dignity to which must be added compassion. (Some would say, "Love". But, for me love and compassion are interchangeable for compassion encircles love and love enriches compassion)

Peace to all

lobsterBunksadamcrossleyPixiemoe13