Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the choice Karmic Dice

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited November 2019 in Buddhism Today

I guess one could partake in a roll of the dice with each number representing an wholesome activity if one is lost for things to do...
Meditation or contemplation ( on a specific thing) are a couple of good options for the roll :)
Hmm perhaps Roll of the Dice would be a interesting topic to start....What six wholesome activities would you choose?

Ah ha, I could write a program or make a Buddha decision spin compass ... There are apps ...
but first the wholesome activities:

• exercise
  • breath
  • meditate
  • chore
  • benificience
  • relax

Well that might help ๐Ÿ’—
What would be your six?
https://easydecisionmaker.com/

adamcrossley

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Sadly, or not, I rarely have the luxury of being lost for things to do. However, on those occasions when I am too tired to muster motivation to do anything at all, these karmic dice of yours might be useful. Ideally, I think I might need a handful of dice, not just one. Anyway, Karmic craps ---

Paint
    Chores
    House Repairs
    Nap
    Chant and/or Meditate - in one form or another.
    Slow down and be Mindful of This Moment

See - not nearly enough options. The last mentioned, however, can function in a similar way to dice, and you can never anticipate what's going to pop up - the Universe in a single moment.

adamcrossleyShoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2019

... perhaps Roll of the Dice would be a interesting topic to start....What six wholesome activities would you choose?

Mindfulness
    Mindfulness
    Mindfulness
    Simplify
    Simplify
    Simplify

My kind of Die.

('Dice' is plural.

Die is the singular form of dice. It comes from the French word des, a plural word for the same objects. In English, the most common way to make nouns plural is to add an S. If die followed that rule, its plural form would be dies. However, English is full of irregular plurals. Along with wolf, cactus, and appendix, die does not follow the normal pattern. The plural form is dice. If you roll dice, you are rolling two or more game pieces. If you roll a die, you are only using one piece.

Following that, y'awl should have 12 choices of 'faces' not six.)

You're welcome. ;)

FosdickShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well, I think composing a list of six is tricky, because there are the things I actually do, the things that are wholesome to do, and the things Iโ€™d like to do. One ends up being tempted into doing the things that you actually do, whereas the wholesome things are often more the things you feel you should do, and the things youโ€™d like to do are inconvenient or unreachable.

I quite like @Shoshinโ€™s list.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I quite like @Shoshinโ€™s list.

I swear I read Schindler's, then...

Well, I think composing a list of six is tricky, because there are the things I actually do, the things that are wholesome to do, and the things Iโ€™d like to do.

so the 12 instead of the 6 is quite useful then!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2019

I used to play Dungeons and Dragons and there's no need to be so self limiting. You could use a 4 sided dice if only 4 things come to mind, or 8, or 10, or 12, or 20. If you have a list of 100 things you can use two 10 sided dice to roll 1-100. We're so cool!

VastmindBunksShoshinJeffrey
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

...Or

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    I used to play Dungeons and Dragons and there's no need to be so self limiting. You could use a 4 sided dice if only 4 things come to mind, or 8, or 10, or 12, or 20. If you have a list of 100 things you can use two 10 sided dice to roll 1-100. We're so cool!

I remember Rolemaster which was a tabletop RPG like D&D but only used 1-100 rolls for many things and had these big tables with critical hits and misses, it was quite amusing.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Ah D&D... some of my favourite memories... never really happened

lobster
  • Every day, we roll the dice
    Every day we take many chances
    For every day we live

Peace to all

lobster
  • @Shoshin said:
    Dharma Talk (Youtube)
    Dharma Read (Sutta)
    Meditation (cushion time)
    Be Mindful (when doing chores around the house)
    Go for a Mindful Walk
    Random acts of Kindness

Let us start with a youtube roll ...

As the hermit's story emerges
    we find a story of inspiration
    Truly astounding

Bravo ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

Perfections ( Parami)
    1. May I be generous and helpful! (Dana โ€” Generosity)

1. May I be well-disciplined and refined in manners! May I be pure and clean in all my dealings! May my thoughts, words and deeds be pure! (Sila โ€” Morality)

2. May I not be selfish and self-possessive but selfless and disinterested! May I be able to sacrifice my pleasure for the sake of others! (Nekkhamma โ€” Renunciation)

3. May I be wise and be able to see things as they truly are! May I see the light of Truth and lead others from darkness to light! May I be enlightened and be able to enlighten others! May I be able to give the benefit of my knowledge to others! (Panna โ€” Wisdom)

4. May I be energetic, vigorous and persevering! May I strive diligently until I achieve my goal! May I be fearless in facing dangers and courageously surmount all obstacles! May I be able to serve others to the best of my ability! (Viriya โ€” Energy)

5. May I be ever patient! May I be able to bear and forbear the wrongs of others! May I ever be tolerant and see the good and beautiful in all! (Khanti โ€” Patience)

6. May I ever be truthful and honest! May I not hide the truth to be polite! May I never swerve from the path of Truth! (Sacca โ€” Truthfulness)

7. May I be firm and resolute and have an iron will! May I be soft as a flower and firm as a rock! May I ever be high-principled! (Adhitthana โ€” Determination)

8. May I ever be kind, friendly and compassionate! May I be able to regard all as my brothers and sisters and be one with all! (Metta โ€” Loving-kindness)

9. May I ever be calm, serene, unruffled and peaceful! May I gain a balanced mind! May I have perfect equanimity! (Upekkha โ€” Equanimity)

May I serve to be perfect!
    May I be perfect to serve!
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/narada/nutshell.html#app3