Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All we are saying is "Give peas a chance"

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

The great name calling debate...

The hidden forces driving the alternative meat labelling war

All we (vegans & vegetarians) are saying is give peas a chance ....

...you might like the alternative :)

After all...What;s in a name ...

lobsterJeroen

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2019

Ever since watching a video/programme, titled "The Game Changers" (I have it on Netflix UK, try to find it, it's astounding) I have resolutely been focusing on changing my diet to one of 98% vegan.
    (I still use honey and wear wool, because I actually know a shepherdess who lives in Wales, and she raises bees too, and without care and husbandry, both sheep and bees would actually suffer from their respective surfeits of wool and honey, so she manages them very well and keeps production at a premium for humans and creatures-in-question, alike.)

But I'm making some excellent Seitan meals, and am using Ecologically-sourced cashews, chickpeas and organic tofu, with great success.
    I made a lemon meringue tart with the meringue made out of aquafaba, and a sour cream dressing made with cashew nuts, lime juice, nutritional yeast and oat milk.
    I eat porridge every day, laced with pea protein, maca powder and chia seeds and I can go without eating until mid afternoon.

@Shoshin, shall I merge this into the vegetarian thread?

ETA: Cancel that last question: I (rather stupidly) read your linked article after posting my comment. I'm happy to leave as is.
    And I am outraged by this Australian attitude.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Yes thank you...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Haha! A Kiwi website criticising Australia???? Well I never.......

SuraShineShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think though, they may have a valid point......?

@federica said:
    I think though, they may have a valid point......?

Ah yes, they probably do....I'm just a little cynical.

I suspect the fact they could only earn half the salary and would pay twice as much for things (ok, slight exaggeration!) in NZ is the main reason so many Kiwi's call Australia home. Otherwise they'd go back....and who could blame them!

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread with my patriotic tripe....sorry @Shoshin - carry on!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I don't know if its just a US thing but companies can't call their products ice cream unless it contains certain percentages of certain ingredients, I think mainly the amount of dairy. They still sell all of the ice cream and "frozen dessert" items in the same section and the packaging looks identical. I doubt most people even realize they aren't buying actual ice cream and I also doubt they really even care, it usually tastes just as good, often has fewer calories and is almost always less expensive.

I think the animal industry is really swimming against the tide here and it is only a matter of time before plant based or lab grown "meat" products will taste the same and actually be more competitive on price.

lobsterBunksShoshin
  • Bravo. Good choice. 💗

In the developed world, food is relatively cheap and plentiful. Many delicious vegan foods available.

I eat animals, including fish but increasingly finding veg based deliciousness ...
    https://themindfulkitchen.org/

Bunks

@Bunks said:
    Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread with my patriotic tripe....sorry @Shoshin - carry on!

No worries @Bunks ...May peas be with you ;)

BunksJeroen

We sell QUORN chicken bites, QUORN burgers and QUORN sausages.
    See what I did there?
    That's what they do on the packaging. They make it abundantly clear it's actually QUORN. Not chicken, not burgers not sausages.
    So as long as the fact that it's NOT an animal based product is made clear, we can still call it chicken, burger and sausage.

Sorted.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Nice thread title @Shoshin, can’t go wrong with Lennon lyrics...

@Kerome said:

(except they're not Lennon's lyrics.... But other than that....) :D

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

(except they're not Lennon's lyrics.... But other than that....) :D

The credit on azlyrics says otherwise, but if you want to nitpick it was supposedly co-written by John and Yoko during a week-long BED-IN advertising campaign in Montreal in 1969.

And what a week that was...! I remember it well.
    He was a weird screwed-up individual, that one....

Some Asian supermarkets sell "Mock meats" such as mock duck, mock chicken... the first time I came across the term "mock meats" was when shopping at one of the supermarkets back in the 80s...

This "Link" is interesting..

Tofu, a popular meat analogue, was invented in China by the Han dynasty (206 BC–220 AD). Drawings of tofu production have been discovered in a Han dynasty tomb.[1][4] Its use as a meat analogue is recorded in a document written by Tao Gu (simplified Chinese: 陶谷; traditional Chinese: 陶穀; pinyin: Táo Gǔ, 903–970). Tao describes how tofu was popularly known as "small mutton" (Chinese: 小宰羊; pinyin: xiǎo zǎiyáng), which shows that the Chinese valued tofu as an imitation meat. Tofu was widely consumed during the Tang dynasty (618–907), and likely spread to Japan during the later Tang or early Song dynasty.[1]

Prior to the arrival of Buddhism, China was predominantly a meat consuming culture. The vegetarian dietary laws of Buddhism led to development of meat analogues as a replacement for the meat-based dishes that the Chinese were no longer able to consume as Buddhists. Meat analogues such as tofu and wheat gluten are still associated with Buddhist cuisine in China and other parts of East Asia.[2] Meat analogues were also popular in Medieval Europe during Lent, which prohibited the consumption of warm-blooded animals, eggs, and dairy products. Chopped almonds and grapes were used as a substitute for mincemeat. Diced bread was made into imitation cracklings and greaves.[3]

Hmm perhaps the meat boards and their members feel they are somehow being 'mocked" by those who produce mock meats... who knows...but...

It does seem weird that the all powerful meat boards in some countries are up in arms about using the term meat for non animal flesh...

I guess it all boils down to profit making...and sadly the way they see it, is they have to do what they can to let their members make a killing somehow...it's a shame that it has to be at the expense of other sentient beings...

edited November 2019

Mock meat is basically seitan or wheat gluten, but I think, due to the processing they (whoever 'they' are!) put it through, it's a lot more tender than the seitan anyone can make at home. You need to add a complementary medium like lentils or silk tofu...

But it's weird, right? We still refer to some fruit flesh as the meat of the fruit... seems like the Meat industry is on a back foot; and when there are huge, major companies making changes to what they offer their customers due to public demand, little wonder they hold their hands up and cry 'no fair!" But, haven't they had it their way up to now?