Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Good News about Diacriticals...

LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
edited December 2008 in NewBuddhist.com
I've done some research and have come up with some info that may be of use to some of you who are unfortunate enough to have to use PCs (sorry, my bias is showing).

If you would like to type diacriticals such as the é character at the end of Namasté, this can be very easily accomplished with an adjustment to your settings under Windows XP, by following the instructions to be found at the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306560

In fact this post was typed on a PC after having made those adjustments. To get the é character all you have to do is hold down the right Alt key and then press the e character.

Good luck with this...

Namasté

Les

Comments

• edited December 2008
    or you could get an AZERTY keyboard like me and learn to touch type on that ....which becomes a complete pain in the bum when the computer decides to re-assign the keys to QUERTY configuration ........ total gollux on the screen.

Same thing happens when I go to the UK and have to borrow someone else's pooter. Aaaagh
  • edited December 2008
    I am not the sharpest knife in the computer drawer so I do appreciate the info.
    I'll have to get the hubby to do it for me tho.......no clue....heehee

Thanks Les

Namaste'

Hey Les, You still haven't told me where you got that cute litte Namaste' guy?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    My solution for this has been, for years and years now, since I used to do translations back in the '80s, to have a Notepad file on my Desktop with all the accents, umlauts and other interferences to pure lettering. I can then copy-and-paste or even dragon drop.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2008
    If you hit your 'start' button, (bottom left) in the 'search' box, type "Charmap" and hit search, or run.
    It brings up every single little gizmo-lingual idiosyncracy and you can look for the mot juste to your "coeur's" content!

All good ways to circumvent the problems!

Thanks, all!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited December 2008
    Excellent tip!!! (and a lot less work!) :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2008
    federica wrote: »
    If you hit your 'start' button, (bottom left) in the 'search' box, type "Charmap" and hit search, or run.
    It brings up every single little gizmo-lingual idiosyncracy and you can look for the mot juste to your "coeur's" content!

All good ways to circumvent the problems!

Thanks, all!

Having found the app, drag it onto your desktop for instant access.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    Just as an update to this two year old thread... just thought I'd repost the info to get a "é".

Macintosh: Option+E, followed by an "e".
    Windows: Hold down ALT, then type 130, release ALT.

Namasté