Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Oh Chromebook, Chromebook, wherefore art thou Chromebook?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok guys. Many, if not all of you, will know that while I'm pretty ok with most techno-stuff, other things leave me like a rabbit in headlights.

Message just popped up on my screen. "Your Chromebook has updates. Restart for full update. Learn more"

So I clicked 'Learn more' and apparently the update also entails a full powerwash.

"Powerwash for added security
This upgrade resets your Chromebook and removes current user data. "

Wait... whut...?! Hang on... another 'Learn more' link later and...

Update your Chromebook’s security

You can install a firmware update to give your Chromebook stronger security protections.

The update is optional, but you should install the update if:

You’ve set up hardware-backed certificates or verified access. Learn what these are.

You want to keep your Chromebook settings, apps, files and other info as secure as possible.

Important: This update will erase your Chromebook and reset it to factory settings. Everything will be deleted from your Chromebook, including your files, apps and data. Make sure that you back up your files and sync your account settings before you install this update.

What -
The -
Actual -
F....?!

I have no idea how to go about doing this, what it entails, what I am meant to do, or how to make sure that when chromebook re-starts, everything will be just as it is now...(only, obviously, better, apparently!)

As it's optional, I need do nothing, right? Even if the message persists in popping up...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I could do with input from @Linc or @Brian too. With nice, easy-to-understand simple words like, 'yeah' or 'don't'...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Everyone else is stumped too, apparently....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think you’ve got it right, you don’t have to do anything. But if you want to install the update (for optimal security) you will need to back everything up first.

And that's where I fall at the first hurdle... I haven't turned off my laptop for days, because I don't want to trigger this update.... How am I supposed to 'back everything up'? I wouldn't know how to start. I'm really not as techno-savvy as I'd like to be!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well, I’m not an expert on chromebooks, but I found this article...

http://www.allaboutchromebooks.com/how-to-backup-a-chromebook-or-chromebox/

It’s not very good, I just saw. Too bad. What it comes down to is that if you install that update any data that is not saved to the cloud will be deleted. I don’t know whether it is possible to save files locally on a chromebook, but any Android apps that you use will have account data and so on local.

@Kerome said:
    It’s not very good, I just saw. Too bad. What it comes down to is that if you install that update any data that is not saved to the cloud will be deleted. I don’t know whether it is possible to save files locally on a chromebook, but any Android apps that you use will have account data and so on local.

Yes, I read it too.. it's very dated and I'm not sure whether attempting any implementation would be good idea based on the link's information...

• I asked on puppy Linux forum
    They know everything ...
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1042964#1042964

Hope that is helpful <3

Vastmind