Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Volcanic Eruption on White Island

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited December 2019 in General Banter

This happened a 2pm (NZ time) today...

Tourists were on the island at the time, some injuries not sure if there are fatalities ...

Around 50 people on the island at the time, only 20 have been accounted for...

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Wow!

Maybe it’s too early to ask but should people have been on the island? Especially given the increased activity recently.

One thing I will say after spending some time in NZ Is that they generally let people do as they wish without as much policing as they may in the so called “nanny” states.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the days of this happening may slowly’ be ending.

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

According to the Guardian five confirmed fatalities so far... is this near you @shoshin?

No @Kerome, fortunately White Island is a fair way away from Waiheke where @Shoshin lives. In fact I think it’s a fair way from anywhere 👍

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm not in favour of metaphorically poking Mother Nature in the chest... but I am so sorry, and sad for those who have died, and the grief their families must be feeling. :(

lobsterVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I had a look at photo’s of the place, it seems like an odd choice for a holiday outing. I’m surprised there were so many tourists in the area.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Kerome , @Bunks is right ...the island where I live is close to Auckland ....White Island ( Whakaari in Maori) is just off the coast of the town of Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty...
    Close to the island where I live is a large volcanic island called Rangitoto which fortunately is dormant...

North Island Map

I think our emergency services at the moment must be stretched to their limit dealing with major floods and land slides in the south island..and now the volcanic eruption in the north...

JeroenBunks
  • Stay safe everyone. 🙏🏽💗🕊
    Protect people from their volcanic activity ⭐️🌋🏔🗿

Interesting article "We have dressed up our danger as fun"

A short and incomplete list of things that could happen today includes: a colossal earthquake in Wellington, a new volcano in Auckland, a tsunami.

Most likely none of that will happen, and all our Sundays will be OK.

But any of that is possible on any given morning and there is not a thing we can do to stop it.

We have made a bargain that we contrive to live with, and it's not entirely great.

But what about visitors to this country? They surely deserve the right to make an informed choice.

Do they understand, or have they come here unaware that although we appear to have dressed our danger up as fun, the risk can be real and substantial? We surely owe it to visitors to alert them to our comfortable coexistence with sudden death.

To be fair, all life is a calculated risk. No matter how hard we try, no-one gets out alive. You can only mitigate so far.

There is some truth to your comments @Shoshin

As per my earlier statement above:

One thing I will say after spending some time in NZ Is that they generally let people do as they wish without as much policing as they may in the so called “nanny” states.

I do think this gives people a false sense of security.

I visited Fox Glacier on the South Island around a decade ago. The day before I arrived two young men had been crushed to death as they walked up to the front of the glacier for a closer look. I noted there were signs telling people not to approach but nothing more.

• Not to make light of the loss of life, but the danger is often the attraction. Also, sadly, some people just don't comprehend the danger of their actions. Lack of awareness/mindfulness.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Imagine a large round manhole cover, which is in fact a thick metal grate, directly underneath which there is a jet engine nozzle (the 'out' bit of the engine) which is set to go off randomly.

In the combustion chamber, just behind the compressor, the kerosene mixes with the compressed air and burns fiercely, giving off hot exhaust gases and producing a huge increase in temperature. The burning exhaust mixture discharged, reaches a temperature of around 900°C .

Now, stand on it. At some point, without warning, it will go off.

Would you? Would you risk such a thrill?

Then why dafuq would you climb a volcano that is active and unstable?

I rest my case.

@federica said:
    Imagine a large round manhole cover, which is in fact a thick metal grate, directly underneath which there is a jet engine nozzle (the 'out' bit of the engine) which is set to go off randomly.

In the combustion chamber, just behind the compressor, the kerosene mixes with the compressed air and burns fiercely, giving off hot exhaust gases and producing a huge increase in temperature. The burning exhaust mixture discharged, reaches a temperature of around 900°C .

Now, stand on it. At some point, without warning, it will go off.

Would you? Would you risk such a thrill?

Then why dafuq would you climb a volcano that is active and unstable?

I rest my case.

My issue is whether people were adequately warned.

Not sure about you @federica, but I've grown up in a society that protects people from danger.

If I'm paying money to be taken on an adventure trip I'm expecting the risk of dying to be virtually non-existent.

I think the negligence here lies with those who allowed these people to walk on to the volcano.

I fear the fallout (pardon the pun) from this will be far reaching for the NZ adventure industry.

SuraShinefederica
    edited December 2019

Good points @Bunks, and I take them. :) But I me, myself, would never like to take up the invitation of "Let's go for a walk on this Island. By the way, the Volcanoes ARE active...."

Bunks

It would seem some people like to take life to the extremes and some tour operators like to oblige them.. A J Hackett for example and the Bungy Jump but this was somewhat tame compared to the original land divers of the Pentecost Island of Vanuatu ...

Bunks