Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Greta Thunberg sailing La Vagabonde

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I saw that Greta is hitching a ride with my favourite YouTube vloggers Elayna and Riley across the Atlantic to the climate summit in Cadiz. I don’t know if you know them but they are a young couple who have been sailing across the world in their catamaran for the last five years, posting up regular video’s to YouTube so that us less adventurous folks can follow them. They’re a lot of fun, I hope Greta enjoys the trip and maybe we get to see a video!

https://sailing-lavagabonde.com/

BunksShoshin

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...And if Jeremy Clarkson has any criticism of this trip, he can go F*** himself.

elcra1go
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2019

This is the most recent video the La Vagabonde couple posted, of their trip to the Annapolis Boat Show in the US. Elayna and Riley and their baby son Lenny have about 1.1m youtube subscribers. They are now all together somewhere mid Atlantic en route to the Azores.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
  • @Kerome said:
    They’re a lot of fun, I hope Greta enjoys the trip and maybe we get to see a video!

Absolutely Fabulous ...

Meanwhile ...

A LETTER FROM A CONSTITUENT ABOUT HOW HE ADVISED HIS TEENAGE DAUGHTER ON ‘CLIMATE CHANGE’:

After our daughter of fifteen years of age was moved to tears by the speech of Greta Thunberg at the UN the other day, she became angry with our generation “who had been doing nothing for thirty years.”

So, we decided to help her prevent what the girl on TV announced of “massive eradication and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.”

We are now committed to give our daughter a future again, by doing our part to help cool the planet four degrees.

From now on she will go to school on a bicycle, because driving her by car costs fuel, and fuel puts emissions into the atmosphere. Of course it will be winter soon and then she will want to go by bus, but cycling through the freezing builds resilience.

Of course, she is now asking for an electric bicycle, but we have shown her the devastation caused to the areas of the planet as a result of mining for the extraction of Lithium and other minerals used to make batteries for electric bicycles, so she will be pedaling, or walking.

Which will not harm her, or the planet. We used to cycle and walk to school too.

Since the girl on TV demanded “we need to get rid of our dependency on fossil fuels” and our daughter agreed with her, we have disconnected the heat vent in her room. The temperature is now dropping to twelve degrees in the evening, and will drop below freezing in the winter, we have promised to buy her an extra sweater, hat, tights, gloves and a blanket.

For the same reason we have decided that from now on she only takes a cold shower. She will wash her clothes by hand, with a wooden washboard, because the washing machine is simply a power consumer and since the dryer uses natural gas, she will hang her clothes on the clothes line to dry, just like my parents and grandparents used to do.

Speaking of clothes, the ones that she currently has are all synthetic, so made from petroleum. Therefore on Monday, we will bring all her designer clothing to the secondhand shop.

Complete article advice here ...
    https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/world-news/climate/letter-how-to-advise-a-teenage-daughter-on-climate-change/

edited December 2019

It does raise a serious issue, who actually bears responsibility for climate change and biodiversity problems? You could say the companies who clear the forests and create new insecticides, but in a way we are also responsible individually for buying what they supply.

However getting the bulk of the population to go vegan and eat organic veg has proved to be an unsuccessful avenue to change, and we must change if we want to keep animal populations and wilderness and sustainable fisheries. It seems the policy of creating national parks has failed to work because the land comes under sustained attack from developers.

For some things you have to hold people accountable. For example what’s going on in the Amazon basin in Brazil is just criminal, people are burning the forest in order to get more cultivatable land. And for other things you have to legislate with very strict penalties, for example the various pesticides with neonicotinoids in them. Companies will not do the testing properly unless you force them, and even then they try to get away with it, look at the ‘clean diesel’ scandal with Volkswagen.

I think it’s a really good thing we are now seeing some concerted effort in the media, such as the pieces in the BBC’s Seven Worlds, One Planet series about conservation and the difficulties faced while filming like poaching and loss of wilderness habitats. This provides motivation for activists to go out and protest.

It seems the only sensible way left to get the change our planet needs.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2019

I have stated, and have always stated, that for every Yin, there is a Yang, for every good Action we perform, something, somewhere, suffers the adverse effect.
    Vegans refuse to have anything to do with animal derivatives, by-products or consumables.
    That means they also refuse to wear anything that is made from an animal, such as leather, or wool...

I for one, fully intend to carry on wearing wool for a start, because I do know from an extremely reliable source that not shearing sheep isn't going to help them at all. Quite the contrary.... but the cotton industry has some very negative effects, both on workers and the environment.
    And what's the alternative to leather.
    Vegan leather.

Oh shut up.
    It's not 'Vegan Leather', fer chrissakes. it's plastic.

And we all know something negative about plastics, don't we?

SuraShinelobsterBunksAlex

You’re right of course, personally going vegan is not necessarily the right answer to things. But consuming things with awareness has to start somewhere. I’m sorry for all the farms where animals were looked after in the right way of course, but changing some of that land dedicated to livestock back into ground for cultivating delicious vegetables seems a positive change.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

^^ And what of those animals? Are they set free? Euthanised? Re-homed? Setting a domesticated animal free into the wild assures it's death - either by starvation, attack or other demise. Re-homing livestock seems unlikely if we're taking back farmed land. Euthanasia is self explanatory and unnecessary if the animal is healthy.

"Positive change" takes some serious planning....

It also takes time. What people fail to remember is that farmed animals are intensely bred for productivity. If people became vegan, that productivity would stop, animal numbers would rapidly decrease, and eventually, stocks would dwindle and die out from natural causes, to a sustainable level. If Animals are gradually acclimatised to natural living, numbers would balance out, and the ecology wouldn't suffer.

Alex
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Yes, unfortunately there are rarely perfect solutions. We are most often stuck with trade offs. Want more renewable energy and electric cars to reduce our use of fossils fuels? Okay, we have less CO2 emissions but now are mining large areas for lithium batteries and other heavy metals for solar panels, birds being killed by windmills, etc. Want everyone to eat organic? Great now we've put an area of land the size of California into agricultural production to make up for lower yields.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything nor make some of these trade offs. I'm trying to say living is a balance that constantly needs rebalancing according to the current needs, rather than the pursuit of a perfectible ideal.

It seems there hasn’t been much of an end-result to the summit in Madrid

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/14/un-climate-talks-drag-on-as-rifts-scupper-hopes-of-breakthrough

Yes, people will bicker about what's in it for them, rather than look at the bigger picture and realise WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

edited December 2019

Greta still in the news...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/30/greta-thunberg-climate-activism-has-made-her-very-happy-says-father

@person said:
    Want everyone to eat organic? Great now we've put an area of land the size of California into agricultural production to make up for lower yields.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything nor make some of these trade offs.

Well most of the land used by agriculture is used for animals, so if we eat less meat we should be able to make ends meet anyway.

Alex
  • I read Greta’s book over Christmas, what an extraordinary girl she is.

lobsterJeroenAlex

Ricky Gervais in his Comic speeches at the Golden Globes (apparently, as I speak, the honestly very last one he will ever host) asked recipients of Awards to steer clear of any political speeches. "You know nothing of the real world" he warned, "And some of you have attended school for less time than Greta Thunberg!"

She wasn't the only one sailing close to the wind, then...!

Apparently Elayna decided to make the video of the crossing a six-part series, here’s the first part. Lots of little details about all the preparation that goes into making a crossing like this, really enjoyed watching it.

Just saw the news this morning about Greta being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Second episode. Talk about rough weather in the Atlantic... you have to have guts to go sailing on a boat that’s not so big with just a few people. Props to these guys.

• AlexAlex UK Veteran
    edited February 2020

Lots of ‘food’ for thought here. Having seen the scale of the problem in the developing World, we can help how we can, however, it’s a momentous task for sure. For me, to stick to the eightfold path and a strategy of least damage, pain toward others, then my personal view is that notwithstanding technicalities and justifications otherwise, a move towards a plant based diet is skilful for both the animal world, but also for ourselves in terms of looking after our temple and our ethical outlook. I’m not 100% there yet, but I’m close and closer than I was a year ago. In my view, to adhere to eightfold path, There are always more ethical choices than consuming animals and their products.

This is the last one of these which I’ll post as nobody seems to reply to them, but the electrical storm was something special in this third video of the trip...