Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christmas and New Year’s messages

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I caught a little of the Pope’s Christmas speech, there was a part about the “softening of self centred hearts” and urging nations to make peace. He seems to be a pretty good guy, I saw some footage of him bowing down to kiss an african leader’s foot in greeting, quite humble.

NY Times on the speech

I also saw some of the (British) Queen’s Speech, it was a little bit of a contrast with the pope’s since it was much more about the U.K. and the royal family. I was a little sad that she didn’t use the opportunity to focus more outside of Britain but I guess it is par for the course.

Have you come across any other good Christmas or New Year’s messages?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said: I also saw some of the (British) Queen’s Speech, it was a little bit of a contrast with the pope’s since it was much more about the U.K. and the royal family. I was a little sad that she didn’t use the opportunity to focus more outside of Britain but I guess it is par for the course.

She always has, and always will, focus on her personal Realm, and speaking directly to her immediate subjects.
    She speaks to those with whom she is directly connected, trusting as ever, that the minds and hearts of those who are listening, will expand to include all beings.

However, let's put this into perspective: She has lived through many UK Prime Ministers, several USA Presidents, a few Russian Leaders, and more than a handful of Popes.
    Do these other Nations, I wonder, work to include the People and the Longest-reigning Monarch of what can be described as a small country with a lot of attitude and Power? I think not.

Why then, do you presume she should do otherwise?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Certainly Britain has a place in the world? Being so insular does nobody any good.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You could hardly describe one of the greatest, most successful and diverse nations on the planet, as 'insular'! You'd be hard pressed to find any other Global Superpower as Politically-correct as the UK, the least prejudiced and the most welcoming! The Freedom of Speech practised here is second to none.... Yes, you can accuse us of much, but..."Insular"...? Er, I don't think so!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited January 2020

'Funny', as in...?🤔

(Mind you, he's obviously a dodgy cook... describing something as "oven-ready" then saying it's a microwave meal is quite bizarre. He obviously doesn't know that it means it's ready for a conventional oven...!)

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

In a speech that marked his seventh Christmas as pontiff, Pope Francis highlighted the plight of refugees and migrants.

The Bishop of Rome said: "It is injustice that makes them cross deserts and seas that become cemeteries. It is injustice that forces them to endure unspeakable forms of abuse, enslavement of every kind and torture in inhumane detention camps. It is injustice that turns them away from places where they might have hope for a dignified life, but instead find themselves before walls of indifference."

The pontiff concluded his address by urging his flock to "soften our often stony and self-centered hearts."

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Yea, America! Listen up and live up to the Creed your country has always subscribed to with its lips —if not with its heart.

lobster