Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Apparently 47.2 is the unhappiest age

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I call BS.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There was a study... this one it seems

https://www.nber.org/papers/w26641

Which looks pretty comprehensive.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Today for many of folks, and unfortunately for the sake of their livelihoods as well, grabbing other peoples attention, trumps critical thinking every time.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s not just clickbait, it’s an article in The Guardian... about as respectable a journalistic institution as you will find to read on the internet.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'm 47 and 4 months.

I bet their going mostly by finances. My financial situation never looked more bleak. I will never be able to retire and will most likely die in debt.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yep, I am 48 and I reckon that sounds about right.

Without reading the article would it be fair to say it's because:

1. Still have a mortgage
    2. Lost our youthful good looks
    3. Been married for probably 20-odd years to someone they don't like much anymore
    4. Have teenage kids they don't like much
    5. Reached a stressful position in their career to earn the money for the mortgage and wife / kids they don't like much
    6. Body is starting to break down
    personFoibleFull

I recall a similar survey in Australia several years ago that came up with a similar age.

From memory we are happiest at 72.

FoibleFull
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    4. Have teenage kids they don't like much

LOL - you're not wrong at times.

1. Body is starting to break down

Truth

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I was pretty happy at that age... Contented, with a home, two growing girls, a husband and a good life.

I'm 63 now.

It's shit.

BunksFosdick

@federica said:
    I was pretty happy at that age... Contented, with a home, two growing girls, a husband and a good life.

I'm 63 now.

It's shit.

This is definitely a case where a "Hug" is more appropriate than an "Awesome"!

@Kerome said:
    It’s not just clickbait, it’s an article in The Guardian... about as respectable a journalistic institution as you will find to read on the internet.

Yes, but the article itself is hardly sombre, serious and focused on the study, is it? I mean, the Journalist seems to be reporting it in a very 'tongue-in-cheek' way....
    So while I am sure there is a good degree f truth in it, it doesn't count for us Buddhists because we know how to counteract these feelings of negativity, attachment, despondency, grasping, Desire and impermanence, don't we?

.... Don't we...?

...Guys?

Er.....Hello....?

Don't we....??

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

I'm 63 now.

It's shit.

This is definitely a case where a "Hug" is more appropriate than an "Awesome"!

<3

It's Ok.
    There's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

And then...

There's another tunnel....

:D

Bunks

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

Yes, but the article itself is hardly sombre, serious and focused on the study, is it? I mean, the Journalist seems to be reporting it in a very 'tongue-in-cheek' way....
    So while I am sure there is a good degree f truth in it, it doesn't count for us Buddhists because we know how to counteract these feelings of negativity, attachment, despondency, grasping, Desire and impermanence, don't we?

.... Don't we...?

...Guys?

Er.....Hello....?

Don't we....??

Haha.....sometimes.

@David said:
    I'm 47 and 4 months.

I bet their going mostly by finances. My financial situation never looked more bleak. I will never be able to retire and will most likely die in debt.

I came across a saying the other day that when you’re young your finances are the most stressed by setting up a new household, raising a family, and low wages, whereas when you are middle aged if you’ve played your cards right there is a financial pay day and you develop a surplus.

This has not been my experience so far...

Well I feel sad for the sad people, but their sadness is centred around things they either can't change, or could but don't know how.
    Both the absolute, central focus of the First Noble Truth.

Ah, if only they knew there are remedies!

Eight of them!

Bunks
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

The late 40's CAN be very stressful, but how bad it seems depends on our inner resilience.
    Our body is starting to age and fail us in ways.
    Our youngest children are teens and giving us sleepless nights.
    Our career may have plateaued out, and we have no substitute for the youthful hope that previously propelled us. In fact, we may find it hard to look forward to the future at all.
    Our marriage has probably moved into the "alienation" phase and we are not satisfied there.
    We may be working longer hours for less pay .. and probably our mortgage is not paid off, but we may be putting kids through university.
    If our parents have not already died, they may be aging and infirm or even in a nursing home. So besides working and taking care of our home life, we have to find time to help our parents (this is one of THE biggest stressors).
    All of these CAN be worked with, except for rebellious teens and aging parents.

I could go on and on, but I do not think that the late 40's HAS to be the worst time .. it depends on what external stressors are going on in your life, and how well you work with your own internal emotional responses. That is what Buddhism is for, isn't it? Of course, it takes some years to make it work well, so that is what starting Buddhism in your 20's or 30's is for!

Bunksperson
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2020

@Kerome said:

@David said:
    I'm 47 and 4 months.

I came across a saying the other day that when you’re young your finances are the most stressed by setting up a new household, raising a family, and low wages, whereas when you are middle aged if you’ve played your cards right there is a financial pay day and you develop a surplus.

This has not been my experience so far...

I'm a little slow so if I end up with a financial surplus it won't be until I legally retire and then keep on working.

I'm the working poor> @federica said:

@Kerome said:

.... Don't we...?

...Guys?

Er.....Hello....?

Don't we....??

Oh, I hope I didn't come off too depressing there. I have a family I love, a roof over my head, food on the table and I help where I can.

I'm 47 and have a 6 year old daughter so my life hasn't really followed the usual timelines.

Bunks
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

I would think the most important thing is that you don't make other people miserable when you're 47.2....

BunksShoshin
  • Haha, wow; if 47.2 was my most miserable, the rest of my life will be a party! 47 was a pretty good year.

BunksSuraShine