Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Buddhism Basics

No question is too basic here!

Thank God Buddha,
I notice even the basics are occasionally questioned ... <3 [Group Hug] <3

What is the basic question?

For me it would be ... the answer ...

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Why does the Buddha like lists so much?

Are we sure he wasn't a woman?

federicaShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Why is the Buddha so hung up on suffering?

Isn’t the middle way that we have a little suffering and a little happiness? What would unrelenting happiness be like, wouldn’t it get really boring after a while?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:

I am perpetually making lists; this made my H laugh so much he nearly choked on his granary toast and marmalade.

Made my day!

lobsterBunks
  • @Kerome said:

Isn’t the middle way that we have a little suffering and a little happiness? What would unrelenting happiness be like, wouldn’t it get really boring after a while?

Not really.
    Dukkha is inherent in sugar, spice, marmalade and nice
    boring, unrelenting appiness (yes they have a hap app for that) and all transitory experience

The middle way transcends self hugging, attachment to Buddha or other sides.
    We all knew that ...
    https://www.learnreligions.com/life-is-suffering-what-does-that-mean-450094

edited February 2020

@Kerome said:

You need to define happiness @Kerome.

For me, worldly happiness is enjoying sensual pleasure wheras the Buddha taught the removal of greed, anger and ignorance.

Two different things.

ShoshinSuraShine
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Just playing Devil’s Advocate >:)

All for world peace and the removal of greed, anger and ignorance...

lobsterBunks
  • Just playing Devil’s Advocate

B)

I am perpetually making lists; this made my H laugh so much he nearly choked on his granary toast and marmalade.

Made my day!

Tee Hee. The dark side has its benefits ...

I have a very dark sense of humour. It is a coping mechanism. Because there is indeed some severe ignorance, anger, greed and mal marmalade munchers. ;) Fortunately there is great wheel turning. This to me is one of the fundamental advocacies of all functioning spiritual paths. How do we turn the tide of our Kleshas?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleshas_(Buddhism)

... and again we find ourselves centred on the Middle Way ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The 5 precepts. Optional, right? I mean, this number 5 shit ... dope and whisky are my goods to go, they're still legit, tho', yeah?

Bunks
    edited February 2020

I came across a YouTube channel full of rabid Trump supporters the other day, it was called And We Know if you feel like paying it a visit and perhaps do a little baiting of the comments section. Be prepared for lots of praying Republicans though. It was slightly scary.

But yes, the klesha’s. I think awareness is the first thing, to know what craving does to you and the forms it takes. And then to focus some effort on letting go.

@Kerome said:

I think Mara’s Advocate perhaps? o:)

@Bunks said:

@Kerome said:

I think Mara’s Advocate perhaps? o:)

Ooh I’m not sure I’d go that far... being Mara’s advocate seems like you would have to get far too close to greed, avoidance and ignorance and how to generate these in others. Though come to think of it that sounds like a lawyers dream :s

Bunks
  • opiumpoetryopiumpoetry Delaware, Ohio, USA Explorer

@Kerome said:

I read somewhere that the "4 Noble Truths" may have been added to Buddhism only AFTER the Buddha's death. Maybe we should simply discard them?

@opiumpoetry said:

@Kerome said:

I read somewhere that the "4 Noble Truths" may have been added to Buddhism only AFTER the Buddha's death. Maybe we should simply discard them?

The 4 Noble Truths are the core teachings of the Buddha IMHO.

Discard them and you may as well discard everything!

SuraShine
  • @Bunks said:

Discard them and you may as well discard everything!

Thanks for the tip o:)

Bunks

@opiumpoetry said:

@Kerome said:

Huh. As if. 🙄🤨

'Read somewhere' don't cut the mustard round these here parts. Start jabberin' 'bout reading something somewhere, and your friendly, ever-present resident Moderator* will ask you provide reference and/or link. In other words, "pictures or it didn't happen." Will happily wait for you to provide! 😁

(*that would be me!)

Alex

That's how hardcore I am. Dhammawheel ain't got nuthin' on me! Bunch of wimps!

Bunkslobster

Me thinks someone might be taking the pi55.

@Bunks said:

who, moi...?! :D

@federica said:

@Bunks said:

who, moi...?! :D

Haha no. The person who made the 4NT comment

Oh yeah. I knew that. Eventually.
    It didn't sink in at first, but then I remembered the thread. :D

Bunks

@federica said:
    Oh yeah. I knew that. Eventually.
    It didn't sink in at first, but then I remembered the thread. :D

Yes! Me too....

• As some Buddha killing zen types know, answers do not have to make sense to serve us and others ... 🤪😳😌

For example I don't believe in Shiva, Ganesh, Chenresig, Allah, Adi Buddha, Dr Who or baby Jesus but I am quite happy to pray to trees, birds, aliens from other dimensions and any passing divas ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi-Buddha

Crazy? Sure! 🌈🤗🥰😇

Whatever it takes ... 🔓

BunksAlex
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@opiumpoetry said:

Yes ......once we're across "Gate gate paragate parasamgate Bodhi Svaha"

lobster

"Row, row row your boat, gently down the stream,
    Merrily, merrily, merrily merrily, Life is but a dream!"

The greatest lesson in Buddhism ever written.

Discuss.

Alexlobster

@federica said:

Discuss.

Wow! That's heavy.....

I'm going for a lie down.

federicalobster

@federica said:

Discuss.

The rowing is obviously using the dhamma, while you are crossing to the other side. You’ve entered the stream. Then life is but a dream refers to this world, not the life beyond.

Yeah... deep, dude.

Bunks
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

I think ‘life is but a dream’ might refer to our unawakened and false perception of reality, that once awakened, we can see reality for what it is.

Or, I might just be spouting off about Zen again 😂

Bunkslobster
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited February 2020

@Bunks said:

Buddha taught in a time of oral traditions. Things were not written down. It was much easier to memorize lists.

Bunks
  • Buddha taught in a time of oral traditions.

Buddha gave oral? Good job.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Householder_(Buddhism)

... did I deliberately misunderstand ... again 🤭🤗😯

BunksAlexSuraShine
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

Buddha taught in a time of oral traditions.

Buddha gave oral? Good job.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Householder_(Buddhism)

Well I hear he was a cunning linguist...... hides

Nope. I can still see you.

Your slip is showing...