Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advayavada Buddhism

I’m looking for anyone’s take on this school of Buddhism. I cannot find much about it online.

It’s main difference is the changing of the order of the three marks of existence (impermanence, selflessness, and suffering instead of impermanence, suffering and selflessness) and the addition of a forth mark of existence (progress).

It also suggests that their understanding of the eightfold path somehow is different: fully personal is how they describe it

Quoted: The Noble Eightfold Path is therefore understood dynamically as an ongoing reflexion at the level of our personal lives of existence as a whole becoming over time, of pratitya-samutpada. It is for this reason that the eight steps of the Noble Eightfold Path as advocated by Advayavada Buddhism do depend sequentially on each other, are free of any conventional criteria set beforehand by somebody else to which one is supposed to conform, and are fully 'actual' in the sense that they are not done for a further purpose or motive which is not in the step itself.

Interested on anyone and everyone’s thoughts on this school of Buddhism.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It seems to be based in Amsterdam, and there is some dutch content on their website. Taking ‘progress’ as a mark of existence does not surprise me, as the whole concept of a path does imply that some form of progress is possible, and in the natural world we continually see progressions of all kinds. But then the natural world has a number of other characteristics which are not said to be Buddhist marks of existence...

What I think of it is kind of a reflection of my current attitudes towards buddhist orthodoxy. I’ve arrived at a point where I don’t feel much need to adhere to orthodoxy... for example the five precepts seem to me now to be very much a shorthand, an easy set of rules for those who struggle to feel love and compassion in their hearts. So it could be good, or it could add little. I will post some further thoughts when I’ve read a bit more about them.

Alex
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2020

The bit about changing the order of the three marks of existence reminds me of other times I've heard of some controversy over the order of the three types of suffering.
    https://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/three-forms-of-suffering

As to the 4th mark, Tibetan Buddhism, and maybe other forms of Mahayana, add Nirvana is peace as a 4th.

Overall when the teachings are changed slightly like this I don't mind so much, there is plenty of room for interpretation. I worry though about the telephone game effect, maybe this one particular change is small, but then this becomes established and someone later makes a further minor change... etc. then several moves down the road the teachings really aren't true anymore to any legitimate interpretation of the Buddha's intent.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2020

@johnathan said:

Interested on anyone and everyone’s thoughts on this school of Buddhism.

Thoughts? Trying to give them up or at least recognise them as empty ... ;)
    https://advayavada.org/excerpts.htm#deguchi

If I was genuinely interested in finding out I would probably do their training course. o:)
    week one started in December ... Probably starting again soon ... they repeat four times a year ...

From week 1 <3
    The Buddhist aniccata or anityata doctrine teaches that impermanence or changeability is the most fundamental property of everything existing.

Maybe even the dharma changes? That would explain a lot ... :o

AlexJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

They seem to have gone quite a long way into the scholarly writings about Buddhism, and I have to say my knowledge is not broad enough to truly place where they have made changes to the lore. If you were to do an introductory course there you would find out soon enough though.

I think if your interest goes that way — towards the scholarly exploration of Buddhism — then no course of this type is truly wasted, and you yourself are the best guide to what you consider important. Myself, I lean more towards Thich Nhat Hanh’s brand of Buddhism, with its focus on practice and simplicity. That seems quite a long way removed from Advayavada.

Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A Theravada Bhikkhuni once advised me to 'Simplify'...! Shed the extraneous, focus on each personal thought, each personal word, each personal physical Action.
    Master these, and you have mastered the Dhamma.

Simplify.
    The more complicated you make your learning, the smaller your steps and the more entangled your Mind.

Free it.

Simplify.

Alexlobster
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

I too am an advocate of simplicity and lean towards TNH brand of Buddhism. I bought another of his books this week, to add to the 5 I already own 👀 I’m seeing that there are many strands and traditions of Buddhism and so many different practices within the overall realm. For me, it’s about the 4 noble truths, eightfold path and 5 precepts. Kindness, compassion and a smile. Radiate love to others. Acknowledging emptiness. That’s as complex as I get re this and I need nothing more.

federicaBunks
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran

I follow TNH's form of Buddhism as well. Simplicity is my cup of tea. I just came across Advayavada and was curious about it.

I have questions about TNH's buddhism but will create another thread to discuss that.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

I love TNH and his teachings. It's the simplicity I crave. I learn better when things are straightforward.

BunksAlex