Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Books covering Sutta’s to read on a plane or beach. Recommendations ?

AlexAlex UK Veteran
edited February 2020 in Buddhism Today

I’ve got holidays pleasantly looming and would be great to read something satisfying and improve my practice. As much as I love a Thich Nhat Hanh or six, I could use something to aid me on the path that’s more ‘technical’ (maybe the wrong word, but hopefully you’ll understand the spirit).

Something covering suttas.

Got to be manageable size, no Encyclopedia type stuff (I do have a kindle though, not sure how workable with footnotes, glossaries etc ).

Any thoughts ?

SuraShine

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited February 2020

Hi @Alex

For starters I would recommend "In the Buddha's Words" written by Bhikkhu Bodhi.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/in-the-buddha-s-words-bhikkhu-bodhi/book/9780861714919.html?source=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJbX-7Pc5wIVl7aWCh1IEgXMEAYYASABEgIasfD_BwE

Basically he has taken all the most relevant sections out of the Sutta Pitaka and put them in chronological order from Gotama going forth right through to his words after his enlightenment.

lobsterAlexShoshin
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Thanks @bunks I’ve been thinking about this one for a while. Time for me to avariciously grasp the horns of materialism ! (Code for ordering via Amazon Prime 😉).

JeroenBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Alex said:
    Thanks @bunks I’ve been thinking about this one for a while. Time for me to avariciously grasp the horns of materialism ! (Code for ordering via Amazon Prime 😉).

You won’t be able to fit it in your pocket mate! It’s quite big

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@bunks thank you and no worries ! It’s on order, arrives tomorrow 👍

Bunks
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:

@Alex said:

You won’t be able to fit it in your pocket mate! It’s quite big

Does it come in Kindle format?

• AlexAlex UK Veteran

@FeistyGibblets it does, but I think there are footnotes etc., which might make the kindle version a little painful, re constant referencing to other pages, etc.,

I’ve ordered the paperback, I do love a book too ❤️

@Alex said:
    @FeistyGibblets it does, but I think there are footnotes etc., which might make the kindle version a little painful, re constant referencing to other pages, etc.,

I’ve ordered the paperback, I do love a book too ❤️

Me too. Nothing quite beats turning pages. But I'm going to Thailand in September so a kindle with some books will be easier luggage-wise :)

BunksAlex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@FeistyGibblets oooooooh where in Thailand ?! I’ve done Koh Samui and Phuket, beautiful places. Great beaches, food, temples and lovely people. You’ll have an amazing time 👍🙏

Bunks

@Alex said:
    @FeistyGibblets oooooooh where in Thailand ?! I’ve done Koh Samui and Phuket, beautiful places. Great beaches, food, temples and lovely people. You’ll have an amazing time 👍🙏

I'm going to Phuket. While others are off doing touristy things (which I will no doubt indulge in at one stage), I would like to visit some temples. We're also going to visit an elephant sanctuary where we will have the privilege of washing and feeding the elephants. I told people flat out that I will not ride an elephant and neither should anyone else (that's just my personal gripe). I'm really looking forward to it.

BunksAlexShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The other book I would recommend as far as as sutras are concerned is Buddhist Scriptures by Edward Conze. You can download it here as a pdf:

https://www.holybooks.com/buddhist-scriptures-by-edward-conze/

Its a bit older but it is interesting as it is a warts-and-all translation including all the magical bits of the original Pali. From the point of view of determining what to believe this is a good counterpoint to more cleaned up modern revisions.

AlexBunks