Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The klesha's

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

From an earlier thread...

@Kerome posted the below naughtiness to avoid. So take note. What concessions can be made to the non fanatical goodlies and the dharma-drowned needing a break? I bought the above sign in a £1 shop. I was gonna hang it around my garden Buddhas neck but his head is too big. The sign has gone up. It is very wikid. Do you occasionally make peace with your Sith nature?
Main klesha's
1. Desire
2. Anger
3. Pride
4. Ignorance
5. Wrong Doubts
6. Wrong Views

Secondary klesha's
1. Aggression
2. Ill-will
3. Secrecy
4. Hatefulness
5. Jealousy
6. Avarice
7. Deceit
8. Hypocrisy
9. Vanity
10. Cruelty
11. Shamelessness
12. Lack of consideration
13. Lethargy
14. Agitation
15. Suspicion
16. Laziness
17. Indifference
18. Forgetfulness
19. Inattention
20. Distraction

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The first thing we need to do is be open to the klesha's.

Don't resist when they arise.

Even become friends with them....

"Hello old mate....welcome!....come in and take a seat....I'll put the kettle on" (as they like to say in those wretched English soapies).

I've started trying to be kind to my fear, my guilt, my lust.....I think they've been a little surprised! No-one's ever been so nice to them before.

lobsterAlexShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My experience is that I had to work with the kleshas before I could appreciate the brahmaviharas. First I meditated and learnt insight, then I started peering into the dark and dingy corners of my mind to see what made it tick. And I found that a lot of stuff leads back to desire and greed. This has cleaned up some big things in my spirit.

It’s only recently that I’ve started meditating on the brahmaviharas, the divine abodes. That has somehow functioned as an extension of that process, something that I’m now ripe for. It all leads to a general lightening of the load, an increase in blissfulness.

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Kleshas with an apostrophe. 🙄
    There's my suffering, right there... 😵😟😖🤪😆

BunksShoshinadamcrossley
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

A modern tragedy of autocorrect, no doubt. If you want to see something truly tragic, if not a bit funny, google "Buddha's of the Ten Directions," with the apostrophe placed precisely there, and quotations around the whole phrase. Pandemonium ensues.

BunksfedericaJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2020

I did! LMAO!!

Mind you, it only ran to 5 pages, which must be something of a modern techno-miracle!

VimalajātiBunks
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited March 2020

Now google "Buddhas of the Ten Directions." Ten pages of results. It's nice to see the correct spelling in the majority, but oh that ratio.

Bunks
  • I've started trying to be kind to my fear, my guilt, my lust.....I think they've been a little surprised! No-one's ever been so nice to them before.

Seems like a plan

To be kind and benefit and reinforce our positive qualities is the first part of the path. Keep up that part. Then surprise the klesha from the black lagoon ...

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    To be kind and benefit and reinforce our positive qualities is the first part of the path. Keep up that part. Then surprise the klesha from the black lagoon ...

Its true that you end up reinforcing the qualities you spend your attention on, so in one way by focussing on your positive qualities you end up shifting your internal balance. But you have to reinforce the right positive quality for the klesha you have noticed in yourself, so the very first step is mindfulness, observation.

BunkslobsterDhammika