Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Giving Gifts

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited December 2019 in General Banter

I've been told that I'm a good gift giver. I enjoy planning ahead and trying to figure out what I might give people for upcoming events (Bdays, Xmas, etc.) by things they may say about items they like or don't have. Leaving aside any financial pressures many people face, it can be challenging and stressful for many to try to figure out what others may like. My mother and sister decided this year to forgo present exchange, often times it becomes a matter of exchanging gift cards for the same amount of money or begging for Christmas lists to choose from. There can also be the stress of hoping the recipient likes the gift or not and trying to read their reaction. I couldn't help myself though and still bought a few things I had already been thinking about.

How is it for others to select and give gifts? Is it overall a positive or negative experience? What lessons have you learned about giving or receiving gifts?

David

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I don’t do Xmas but each to their own.

Actually I do buy a couple of small things for my kids but that’s it. But we don’t go for the Santa Claus idea I or anything.

personShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

We always like to do a little gift giving around Xmas, we have a financial limit that we set, that each person will spend no more than 50 euro’s on gifts. So we basically do small gifts, like a book or dvd set. Yes it often does come down to Christmas lists, but sometimes someone will come up with something original.

Its the thought that counts more than anything. Here in the Netherlands we have a tradition with the Saint Nicholas celebrations on the 5th of December of doing surprises, which are small fun presents which come with a self-composed poem, which is then read to the group. It’s often randomly allocated, so you draw from a hat the name of the person you are going to be getting a gift for.

I’ve always enjoyed giving gifts, and when thinking of what to gift I consider their needs and their wants. It’s easy to pick something off a Christmas list but often a little more thought can be rewarding. For my stepfather I used to track his favorite authors, so that i could have books sent over from the states which weren’t out yet in his home country of England, and i once surprised him with a double hardcover book set.

Bunksperson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I am trying to cut back, and have bought several nice little things from Charity shops. Have bought very little form high-end, large retailers, and am trying ti focus on the practical and 'will be loved' rather than "Oh thanks, (Ebay here it comes!) it's lovely!"

Bunksperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2019

Three of my children live in Europe, so I normally ask them what they would like from Aotearoa (NZ) and if they can't make up their minds then I would suggest a donation from me to a charity on their behalf...My daughter lives here in NZ ( in another city) she visits over the Xmas break, I always ask her what practical thing she 'needs'....

But I guess one of the best gifts to give ( any time of the year) is one's time...included in this gift are things like random acts of kindness, a helping hand, patience, active listening, and smiles...

Sometimes just being there for someone, is priceless...

Bunkslobster
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@person said:

How is it for others to select and give gifts? Is it overall a positive or negative experience? What lessons have you learned about giving or receiving gifts?

question 1.for the most part,im a lazy gifter.i give cash.but,if being thoughtful,i ask is it useful,practical.
    question2.for the most part it feels good to give.so positive.i love buddha's attitude be happy to give.even little can mean the world to a reciever.
    question 3.what have ive learn? im not rich,but feel rich inside in giving.and grateful,in recieving a gift.

this year,giving to charity,esp.on christ birthday month,i say within,in your name.i believe buddha would smile.long live the lord and lordette of power.

personlobsterBunksadamcrossley
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Is it overall a positive or negative experience?

I have found that it is what I allow it to be. Where I focus my energy drives what kind of experience I have.

What lessons have you learned about giving or receiving gifts?

I only buy for those I truly care about and want to give to. Ignoring the hype is the best thing I ever did.

BunkslobsterShoshin
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Christmas is an opportunity to do things for others without them feeling like they are a charity case.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2019

Ignoring the hype is the best thing I ever did.

Indeed. Baby born. He dies.
    Presents are about acceptance ... I think I might make gruel for breakfast ... to get into the humbug mode ;)

... and now a touch of mudita ...
    https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-practice-sympathetic-joy

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I quite liked these, for last-minute suggestions

https://www.lionsroar.com/the-2019-holiday-buddhist-book-list/

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Definitely me. Definitely. Totally.

Me.

(watch to the end. I have to say, this guy is hilarious. And his videos.... side-splittingly funny, at times!)

person
  • How is it for others to select and give gifts? Is it overall a positive or negative experience? What lessons have you learned about giving or receiving gifts?

Happy Christmas 2021🎁

Too soon? 🤦🏼‍♀️🤪👼🏽

Bunks