Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Clarification on Ultimate and Conventional Nature of Mind in different Buddhist schools

Hello,

I am currently reading "A Buddhist approach" by Thubten Chodron and the Dalai Lama and am interested how the different schools of buddhism view the conventional and ultimate nature of Mind. How for example the Gelug differ from the Kagyu, Nyingma, Sakya or also how other mahayana schools like Tiantai, Zen etc. view the Mind.

I understood that overall the Mind or mindstream is a continuum and although impermanent because it is moment to moment consciousness, eternal in the sense that it is inexhaustible and has no beginning or end even after enlightenment and buddhahood where the mindstream continues on in a purified form.

Is my understanding right for any of the buddhist schools?

In"A buddhist approach" I think it says that the mind has a conventional and ultimate mode. Ultimately it is empty of inherent existence and the "mind is devoid of mind" says the author. What does that mean? Do the Gelug say that the mindstream in ultimate reality is merely nonexistent?

Which school or traditon views the mindstream or mind in the ultimate reality as "existing" or continuing even after buddhahood? Is the purified mindstream not eternal?

Comments