Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there a gradual introduction to Buddhism like the Lamrim of the Gelugpas in other schools?

manomanmanoman New
edited March 2020 in Buddhism Basics

Im looking for books that gradually and chronoligically introduces the reader with Buddhism from the view of Kagyu, Jonang, Tiantai/Tendai or Zen that begins from the Life of the Buddha, the four noble truths up to Karma, Rebirth, Nature of Mind and Buddha Nature. I only find books that are written in the view of the Gelugpas or are heavily influenced by the lamrim or only deal very superficial with the above mentioned topics.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2020

The Jewel Ornament of Liberation by Gampopa is the Lam Rim text for Kagyupas. Not sure if for all Kagyupas or just some. It's influenced by Madyamaka Prasangika view and also Shentong view (influenced by both Cittamatra and Madyamaka) on emptiness but it's a Lam Rim text. I don't think it's influenced by Gelugpa view so much but I don't know for sure.

I don't know Nyingma or Sakya Lam Rim or outside of Tibet?

personlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

What @Jeffrey said. Also I think the Nyigma version is known as Words Of My Perfect Teacher. I'm also unaware of a systematic ordering of the teachings similar to Lamrim outside of Tibet.

I might recommend a classic western book, What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula. It is more oriented towards a Theravada perspective.

Here is a free online version.
    http://www.ahandfulofleaves.org/documents/What the Buddha Taught_Rahula.pdf

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There is a study guide on Access to Insight which represents the teaching in the order that the Buddha used to teach it, here, which I’ve always found interesting even if a little short.

BunksRen_in_black
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

“In the Buddha’s Words” by Bhikkhu Bodhi gives the most important passages from the Sutta Pitaya of the Pali Canon in chronological order.

person