Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who is really controlling our minds ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Came across this interesting video clip...and decided to share it with you all....

Who is really controlling our minds

...Hmm did I really decide ???

BunkslobsterRen_in_black

Comments

• AlexAlex UK Veteran

Did you forget to attach the Clip, @Shoshin ? 🙏

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited March 2020

@Alex

Links there... click on the bold letters

Alex
  • I wish I had a mind ...

I would throw it A Way ...

BunksShoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I love the topic, at the moment I have what is called a compatibalist position. Basically, determinism is the nature of the world, including our brains, but there is still an important distinction between being pushed off a diving board and deciding to jump off one.

There are three factors that I don't think hard determinists take into account. One, the nature of the self, even if there is no self in here making decisions does that mean decisions aren't being made. Two, foreknowledge, what factor does the ability to predict outcomes ahead of time effect those outcomes. I find especially interesting the idea of a frustrator. Three, especially when tied in with foreknowledge is the nature of consciousness or awareness. Does the existence of an internal awareness of our mental states change future outcomes? When we see ourselves getting angry to what extent does that foreknowledge of the angry state to come add an important bit of information into the deterministic mechanism? Does that produce an outcome that is different than would be produced by an automaton identical to us minus only an internal conscious experience?

ShoshinlobsterRen_in_black
  • Thanks @person 🙏🏽

I tend to go by experience. The deterministic model seems to largely correspond to karma and the fettered mind (not to be confused with fetta mind or other cheesy karma).

However with clarity and mindfulness more choices become available:

• To be a bodhisattva, conscious morality/sila
    • I think, therefore I jam. Initially a stick, eventually a rhythm.
    • Mushin - no mind, no choice, vast emptiness

• AlexAlex UK Veteran

Whoops @Shoshin technology not always my strongest point !

Shoshin