Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

General Observation

Has anyone notice that the best monks are not the ones being fed by the people but rather the ones feeding the people?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited March 2020

@Lionduck said:
    Has anyone notice that the best monks are not the ones being fed by the people but rather the ones feeding the people?

Not sure I agree.

Monks are like practicing lay people. Some are more advanced than others so have a greater ability to share the Dhamma.

Plus, some just have a natural disposition to teach while others may not.

They're all worthy of gifts and food.

But maybe I misunderstood what you mean?

lobster
  • I tried training for monking ... eh noneing ... wait sanghafrying ... well whatever it is ... several times. Completely unsuited to be away from normality.

However I live a sealed/hermitic/cloistered existence. Yesterday I was out amongst the walking dead (that is everyone incidentally) ... What fun.
    Are they really so strange (clue: yes we iz)πŸ€ͺπŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‰

I bought some medicinal herbs to grow. I also discovered black garlic. Not available to the sangha.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_garlic

I will put on my regal robes and continue to save myself from, for and with the whirled ...

Gently does it. Be kind to ALL BUDDS ...

I take refuse in the three jewels, three kings, corona (crown) zombi ... etc πŸ™πŸ½

Bunksadamcrossley
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Lionduck said:

Ajahn Chah for a long time was a wandering monk in Thailand, his discourses were heard by relatively few until he settled down at a monastery. Still his understanding developed into something special.

BunksAlexadamcrossleyLionduck
  • it is the sharing rather then the receiving which enables one to grow. when one is among the people, teaching, learning, sharing, observing, that is when growth and greatness arise. it may not manifest immediately, but is is the source and the means. Lay or priest or monk or nun, statesman or bricklayer.

Peace to all

Bunkslobster