Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Garden Buddha brings serenity

I was feeling down and frightened this afternoon about the whole global virus scenario, so went and sat in the garden with Buddha. We had a little chat and I had 10 mins sit. Nothing is permanent. It will all pass. Peace to all of you πŸ™

johnathanJeffreyBunksShoshinFosdicklobster

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am sure @Shoshin won't mind me stealing her phrase from the other day re: the three marks of existence:

_Anicca Dukkha Anatta

Things are constantly changing, our desire for things to stay as they are, brings unsatisfactoriness we must learn to recognise the empty nature of all things....

Change is inevitable....Suffering optional...._

ShoshinAlex

I think even just sitting outside is beneficial for pour mental health....

federicaShoshinlobsterAlex

• After a while, Δ€nanda took a break and decided to lie down for a rest. He then attained enlightenment right there, right then, halfway between standing and lying down. Thus, Δ€nanda was known as the disciple who attained awakening "in none of the four traditional poses" (walking, standing, sitting, or lying down)
    Source: Wikipedia

Maybe he was gardening?

Anyway my garden -post-cherry-tree continues to be a source of chaotic amusement ...
    I am growing yarrow, fennel (a fish flavouring) self heal and others ...

AlexBunksJeffrey
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Your garden is bursting with life @lobster I love it.

I’ve not seen too many gardeners who seem anything less than blissful - check out Monty Don !

πŸ™

rocala
  • Monty Don is related to Monty Python?

The bees are visiting my garden. Beans are in flower, must find more sages ...

Alex
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Alex said:
    I was feeling down and frightened this afternoon about the whole global virus scenario, so went and sat in the garden with Buddha. We had a little chat and I had 10 mins sit. Nothing is permanent. It will all pass. Peace to all of you πŸ™

Im sure that in 10 years it will be like the Year 2000 (or Y2K) crises, where loads of people thought all kinds of computer systems would fail. It’s hardly remembered these days because it turned out to be a storm in a teacup and everything was fine.

But the whole thing of everybody sitting at home for a few months is a big deal for many who are not so financially resilient. I have a lot of sympathy with the less-well-off folk who are a lot more vulnerable and maybe can’t work from home...

Alex

Lots of people have died from this virus @Kerome

And it's clearly apparent many, many more will die in the coming months.

I wouldn't call it a storm in a teacup.

Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@kerome, I think those largely unaffected have fallen into the trap of perhaps being lulled into a false sense of security... "Virus, what virus? I've got bread, eggs, milk and loo rolls, what's the problem?"
    The problem is very real. Life as we know it, has changed dramatically. We have no pubs, restaurants, clubs, cafes, gyms or public amenities, like the library, the cinema or the theatre, open. They're all closed until further notice. Schools, closed. All transport, suspended.
    Supermarkets are rationing and controlling what people can buy and how much... We have to stop stockpiling, we have to shop responsibly...

Alexlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...My Mother, who is 88 this year, is taking no callers, and any essential visitors like delivery guys, she keeps at least 4 feet between her and them, and asks them to wash their hands... Elderly people are being helped by willing community members, but because absolute morons are panic-buying, they're leaving nothing for people who really need stuff... some shops have been 'named and shamed' on Social media for vastly inflating prices... opening multi-packs of toilet rolls and selling each one for Β£2 or more... Children's over-the-counter medicines, normally retailing at around Β£2.00 being sold for Β£20... it's a weird time, I'll say...

Alex
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited March 2020

@Bunks said:
    Lots of people have died from this virus @Kerome

And it's clearly apparent many, many more will die in the coming months.

I wouldn't call it a storm in a teacup.

Yes, but coronavirus will probably never be as deadly as the 2004 Christmas Tsunami in the Indian Ocean, which killed an estimated 227,000 people in 14 countries. And that disaster is rarely thought of these days. I’m merely saying we should try and keep a little perspective, our serenity will benefit to know that this too will pass and one day it will seem normal.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2020

We have some stores (Dollar General) that are opening 8am to 10am for only senior citizens. I'm avoiding anti-social buying and haven't bought anything since last Saturday but I was careful to buy last Saturday what I individually need as in medicine for acid reflex and a supply of things with fiber because I have esophagus problem that is in remission but needs the medicine (or I'll end up needing an endoscopy), and the fiber because my anti-psychotic meds can lead to constipation.

But it's the wrong time to try to stock up for months or something. If that's your thing avoid anti-social shopping at least for now and build your 'bunker' next year with months long supply of stuff AFTER this dangerous part of the virulence curve has cooled off.

Bunkslobster

Nature has recovered by being left undisturbed, and so many people are grateful for that, citing it as a positive blessing... But I suspect once Life can gradually go back to being a normal day-to-day existence, people will undo much of the good that has come about...

@Kerome, My family lives in the area most drastically affected by Coronavirus, in Italy. Try telling them to 'keep a little perspective'... Until it directly touches you - and it will - I'm afraid your comments are going to sound both insensitive and tactless....

BunksAlex

My father, who is 72 and in good shape, is self-isolating because he has a cold. Our supermarkets here are barely able to keep up with demand but we were able to buy some loo rolls today, for the first time in a week. I have a friend who is stuck in Austria. So yes, strange times.

BunksAlex
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2020

I both agree and disagree with you β€οΈβ€οΈπŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Tee Hee.
    Language I understand πŸŒˆπŸ™πŸ½πŸ¦žπŸ’—

Talk like you walk.

My Garden Pureland is being seeded with healing flowers for the birds to bring far and wilde. The birds brought me an evergreen bay tree which is in flower and as tall as our house. In our tiny front garden, we have two trees. One is a holly bush/tree in bird berry at the moment.

We are Buddha Borg. Resistance is futile.

BunksAlex
  • Times are strange indeed. Yesterday two detective police (CID) were in the house. Investigating a burglary in our street. We are trying to self isolate but the door was not closed properly, so in they came announcing they were police ...

... Anyway back to talking to garden Buddhas ... I move things around a lot and talk to flowers, animals and inanimate objects as if they understand. They seem to.

In Sufism, the world is seen as a book or revelation, in Buddhism it is often aspects of our Mind ...

I think there fore I Am
    Descartes

Bunks