Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Virtual Online Retreat - the Four Foundations of Mindfulness

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all - Ajahn Sona (Theravadan Monk from Canada) is running an online retreat from May 1 to May 10 this year.

No need to sign up (as far as the "I" can see). Details are in the video below.

Will join as often as possible. Might see you there :)

johnathanadamcrossleyAlexFrogpondShoshinlobster

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Sounds very good, thanks for sharing @Bunks. I wonder if there will be guided meditations or just Dhamma talks. The Four Foundations is a wonderful topic. Iโ€™ll certainly sample the first day or so.

Enjoy your practice ๐Ÿ™

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @adamcrossley - you too.

If you look in the description on the video it shows the daily schedule. Seems to be a combination of chanting and group meditation with one talk a day by Ajahn Sona.

adamcrossley
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Thanks @Bunks looks good ๐Ÿ‘

Bunks
  • FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer

Looks great. Thanks @Bunks. Definitely interested.

• Eh ma ho!
    How wonderful. ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ•Š

That monk looks half dead. I like her already ... :p
    ... or from a more positive frame ... half alive ๐Ÿ’€

Easy in. Easy out. Be at Ease. ๐Ÿงป
    Iz plan. Always. ๐Ÿ’—๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

BunksJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:

Reminds me of my visit to the bathroom a few minutes ago...

AlexBunksShoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:

Reminds me of my visit to the bathroom a few minutes ago...

Ooooooh!! TMI!! :D:D

• Bathroom retreat.

Could be our only alone time ...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Bathroom retreat.

Could be our only alone time ...

For mothers with babies/little toddlers, it is most certainly nothing of the kind. A stay-at-home-mum knows no solitude until the little darlings begin to go to playschool. Until then, they have a perpetual hip-weight and leg clamp.

johnathanlobsterBunks

Starts in 5 minutes ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿปโค๏ธ

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I can hardly wait ...

Oh wait ... I Can.

Think I have learned something already.

Bravo Santa Sangha o:)

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well I signed up for a free to Londoners course on mindfulness instead ... which I found out about. The course is run by the local council and NHS.

https://www.good-thinking.uk/

My first exercise involved listening to a raisin (or tangerine segment). I was really impressed and tried very hard, trying to go beyond listening ...

Looking forward to body scanning for the first week

... talk about one hand clapping ... I am listening out for fruit ... ๐Ÿคช

Wow thank you virus, my spiritual path is now officially sanctioned ... ๐Ÿฆ โœ…๐Ÿค—๐Ÿฆž๐Ÿฆ 

JeroenBunksFoibleFullhow
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2020

I tried it with a mandarin segment, no raisins or tangerines at hand, is that ok? Could not hear any Chinese. It certainly got me focussing on silence and the bit of tinnitus I usually hear.

Also I had a look at Ajahn Sonaโ€™s talk, I thought his warning that this wasnโ€™t a beginnerโ€™s retreat but intended for a more seasoned group quite interesting. I will listen to the rest of it when I have time.

Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2020

Basically we started with looking at the segment, concentrating on its feel, its smell and when you held it to the ear you rub it to find what sound it makes.

The course seems very healthy and I like the two presenters. That monk that Bunk is following seems all very well if a little not well.

Hope the course does him healthy ... Long live/love the Sanghria ... wait that is wine and fruit ...
    ... I gone and dun wrong agin ... ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜ถโ‰๏ธ

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I did the body scan (excellent yoga nidra) Sadly I fell asleep after 20 minutes. It is the lying down breathing into my body parts. Last thing I remember is breathing into my back ...

We have homework. B)

One mindful meal
    one mindful action
    and dailyish body scan ...

I iz Buddhist. I iz mindful. I iz z z z ...

Bunkshow

Itโ€™s interesting, they are doing the full sessions of the retreat but then online. Iโ€™m not following the retreat rigorously but I am enjoying the sense of being there, with the morning puja and evening chanting and especially the teatime Q&A sessions. Itโ€™s the closest I have ever been to attending a whole retreat like this...

You can send questions in via the website for consideration in the question and answer sessions I saw.

lobster

@Kerome said:
    Itโ€™s interesting, they are doing the full sessions of the retreat but then online. Iโ€™m not following the retreat rigorously but I am enjoying the sense of being there, with the morning puja and evening chanting and especially the teatime Q&A sessions. Itโ€™s the closest I have ever been to attending a whole retreat like this...

You can send questions in via the website for consideration in the question and answer sessions I saw.

Yes, same @Kerome - obviously the time difference is a bit whacky but I've been sitting with them for the morning chanting and meditation. Then listening to the Q and A in the afternoon and Ajahn Sona's talk each night.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2020

This teatime I did my 30min body scan sitting up. No question, easier to stay awake. ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿฆž๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐ŸŒˆ

Why is that unhealthy looking monk not being questioned or maybe that is a mask?

Here is my ugly question. Is the bodhi beautiful a Buddha?

BunksJeroen
    edited May 2020

@lobster said:
    Why is that unhealthy looking monk not being questioned or maybe that is a mask?

You are right, he does look unhealthy, and even more, he looks more unhealthy in the retreatsโ€™ later videoโ€™s. It is a mystery...

The retreat is still going on, I just read the Satipatthana Sutta for the first time, things now make a bit more sense, wicked of me I know.

lobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well she is probably dying soon enough ... much like the rest of us ...

How is my mindfulness practice going? Rubbish. Missed two days to do meditation instead. They are posting me the usual drivel scientific NHS dharma science. They act like a pair of reboots robots ... etc

meanwhile ...
    https://newbuddhist.com/bestof/everything
    ... I am listening to the radio
    https://www.radio-uk.co.uk/search?q=buddhist

edited May 2020

Finished a half day home retreat this morning based on the first day of this retreat. It was nice.

Loose schedule:

5.30 am - 6.45 am -> Coffee, shower and walk

6.45 am - 7.45 am -> Morning chanting and meditation

7.45 am - 8.30 am -> Breakfast and clean up

8.30 am - 9.30 am -> Ajahn Sona talk

9.30 am - 10.30 am -> Ajahn Sudanto Teatime Q & A

10.30 am - 11.30 am -> Evening chanting and meditation

11.30 am - Finish

Might do it again tomorrow :)

lobsterWalkerJeroenfederica

It certainly helps to have it all on YouTube where you can watch it anytime, even days or weeks later...

Bunks

Exemplary, @Bunks.
    Selfish as it might seem, I am going to wait until hubby is back at work. That will give me time to plan some kind of schedule in his absence, leaving me free and unhindered to focus, concentrate and meditate.
    Currently, it's like having a 6-year-old... :D

Bunks

Itโ€™s not selfish @federica

federica

Iโ€™m planning on another half day retreat tomorrow morning ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

Iโ€™m finding Ajahn Sonaโ€™s YouTube talks on the mindfulness retreat, right effort retreat and the noble eightfold path excellent.

lobster