Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christ = Buddha / Bible = Dharma / Congregation = Sangha / Heaven = Pureland / Saint = Boddhisattva

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited April 2020 in Faith & Religion

So, as some of you might know I have added ritual into my practice as a means of trying to diminish my clung to ideas of organized religion from a staunch Atheist point of view. I also have read a bit about Pureland which has helped me a lot in gaining an acceptance and appreciation for theistic religions.

Essentially all religions are the same. It is all mind and a directing of our thoughts to the qualities we wish to emulate in our lives. Hell or Hell Realms are where we go, mentally when we are not focusing on those qualities that a Buddhist would consider skillfull or ones that take one towards Nirvana and away from Samsara.

Putting ones faith in "god" is just another method of letting go of the ego. Giving all glory for the things we accomplish to god and not ourselves. I don't think theistic methods are as effective as others as they take ownership for ones situation away from the person and place it upon god. Unless a theistic follower was aware that their "god" was "mind" and knew that ultimately all their actions and consequenses were of their own making then it's a lesser path. But better a lesser path than no path.

What do others think?

lobsterShoshinRen_in_blackAlex

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited April 2020

Buddhism is the correct path to the eternal ending of suffering but Christianity is not.

Christianity can take you to the higher realms however, as we know, once the kammic accumulation that took us there is exhausted, back down we come.

👍

Frogpondlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 2020

To use a much quoted metaphor, all paths lead up the mountain but some merge with others as they come up out of the foothills.

@johnathan said:
    It is all mind and a directing of our thoughts to the qualities we wish to emulate in our lives.

There is some truth in that, but other religions have difficulty acknowledging this, and without a freedom of finding that the path which one has travelled for a way now leads into another path, a different stream, it is ultimately difficult to continue one’s progress.

In Hein Thijssen’s story there were some very clear indications, he was a Catholic monk and priest at first, then left that religion, then spent a long time studying other religions before coming to the conclusion that his path was his own, although he learnt the most from Buddhism and from the Tao.

Unless a theistic follower was aware that their "god" was "mind" and knew that ultimately all their actions and consequenses were of their own making then it's a lesser path. But better a lesser path than no path.

A very fair conclusion. So should one try to help those on a theistic path? I have found it useful to point those people at others within their tradition who had more of an understanding, Christians at Meister Eckhart for example.

adamcrossleyFrogpond
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think at an everyday level most religions are pretty similar at helping people live happier, more ethical lives. Though often emphasizing differing aspects or values.

I do wonder though if at deeper, subtler, more refined meditative, mystical states of mind there aren't important distinctions that may look the same to us mere mortals but contain critically divergent paths that do lead to differing ultimate outcomes.

ShoshinBunksadamcrossley
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    I think at an everyday level most religions are pretty similar at helping people live happier, more ethical lives. Though often emphasizing differing aspects or values.

Religions do offer you a stable worldview, ethics and some sort of goals. So they provide you with a kind of definition, which might otherwise be lacking.

I do wonder though if at deeper, subtler, more refined meditative, mystical states of mind there aren't important distinctions that may look the same to us mere mortals but contain critically divergent paths that do lead to differing ultimate outcomes.

I’ve wondered in the past whether the thoughts of different religions lead to different afterlives, but lately I do not think so. I suspect that the afterlife looks very different from what most people suspect, that it is not at all like life on Earth. The muslim idea of rivers of wine and 40 virgins each seems very naive, when you won’t even have a body, tastebuds or sexual organs.

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

lord christ and lord buddha gnosis is beauty body of god or the dharmakaya.they know the beautitude. giving hope to the poor is beautitude.suffering is ugly,nirvana is beautiful.they chose to be poor so we can be rich in dharma.

lobster
  • I do wonder though if at deeper, subtler, more refined meditative, mystical states of mind there aren't important distinctions that may look the same to us mere mortals but contain critically divergent paths that do lead to differing ultimate outcomes.

It is the other way around. The divergence is the ordinary appearance. Everyone is on A Path. Non practitioners are on the path of ignoring the spiritual. They still learn. Some become more ignorant and move into hell realms unprepared. :'(

However ...

By Sila, study, commitment, attention and intention we progress ... and unfold ... <3
    ... eventually pushing up daisies/lotus flowerings ...

Bunksadamcrossley