Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Covid Cabin

Comments

• I’m wondering about listening to some music/sounds through headphones to tune out of the conversations I can hear in the next room.

Right concentration!

Sometimes we don't have headphones. Mostly we do ...
    You can try a guided meditation. You can listen to binaural beats or birdsong or meditate by a gurgling brook, just by headphones ... This may seem like New Agey Dharma ... so what.

I find the guided meditations and healing sleep inductions etc of Micheal Sealy very helpful ...
    https://m.youtube.com/user/MichaelSealey

Are there any recommended ways of doing this? What should I listen to?

Yourself.

adamcrossleyFrogpond
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said: ...birds are often happily bathing in a large circular drip tray.

We have the same arrangement for our ornithological garden friends... they were actually queueing up for a drink and a dip, this afternoon... 1 male, 2 female blackbirds, 2 magpies (hurrah!) and a Robin. Great viewing, beats Eastenders any day...

adamcrossleyFrogpondlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@adamcrossley said:
    Given the lockdown, I find myself trying to meditate in a busier, noisier house. I’m wondering about listening to some music/sounds through headphones to tune out of the conversations I can hear in the next room.

Are there any recommended ways of doing this? What should I listen to? Should I pay attention to the music as my meditation, or proceed as normal with attention on the breath, body, and mind?

I like listening to rain sounds or fire crackling sounds, both of which you can find on YouTube, for going to sleep as well as meditation. Thunder is entirely optional. I would just proceed with the meditation as normal, using the sounds to drown out the attention-grabbing voices.

adamcrossleylobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@adamcrossley said:
    Given the lockdown, I find myself trying to meditate in a busier, noisier house. I’m wondering about listening to some music/sounds through headphones to tune out of the conversations I can hear in the next room.

Are there any recommended ways of doing this? What should I listen to? Should I pay attention to the music as my meditation, or proceed as normal with attention on the breath, body, and mind?

I’m not entirely sure where I heard this bit I think there’s white noise on YouTube or in Apps you could try and use. Blocks out any noise

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Ingmar Bergman’s The Seventh Seal freely available on YouTube... a pleasant diversion in the time of coronavirus

Kotishka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Useful advice, worth watching:

I used to teach a passive Martial Art, and anyone who's practised Tai Chi or Yoga will tell you that it's a fundamental truth we do not, from day-to-day, use our full lung capacity. WE ordinarily use maybe the upper third, and quite unconsciously, the remainder of our lungs lie vastly neglected. If ever you - or someone you know - has been upset, or in shock, how many times have you heard the advice, to "breathe, slow down... deep breaths..." Breathing nourishes the circulation and calms the system, providing the brain and circulation with essential air, which steadies the system and helps the muscles... An exercise of this kind helps the lungs to self-nurture, and treat... So this is excellent counsel.... And how many of us knew our lungs were more prominent to our backs, than our fronts?? Very good advice.

BunkslobsterShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

A social distancing poem for when you are out walking and meet a stranger along the way...

" Kia Ora (or any greeting) I don't know you and you don't know me
    So let's keep our distance and stay cronavirus free"

Bunks
  • Tai Chi but in particular Chi Kung (the preparatory exercises) is excellent as @federica mentions.

I was in contact with these women before being on a portable ventilator was part of a viable possibility ...
    Don't let their fragile appearance fool you. This is their answer to my question on single whip application

They look fragile. Don't you believe it ...
    http://www.martialtaichi.co.uk/

If wanting to take the yoga route. Learn Salutation to the Sun.

... and remember meditation and life and enlightenment is just a eased breathing
    https://cundi.weebly.com/meditation.html

johnathan
    edited April 2020

Something for those who live in apartment blocks....to be 'mindful' of...

@Shoshin said:
    A social distancing poem for when you are out walking and meet a stranger along the way...

" Kia Ora (or any greeting) I don't know you and you don't know me
    _So let's keep our distance and stay cronavirus free

I'm afraid I am a little less subtle and more direct:

"Bugger off, this is my space -
    Come any closer and I'll cough in your face!!"

WalkerShoshinjohnathanBunks

I'm sure your approach will be more effective at getting the point across @federica ;);)

@federica said:
    I'm afraid I am a little less subtle and more direct:

"Bugger off, this is my space -
    Come any closer and I'll cough in your face!!"

After incidences of people spitting at the police and saying they had coronavirus, there are now laws against purposefully infecting others...

Bunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Keisaku - does translate as 'warning stick'. Seems appropriate!

Keisaku saku,
    You'll keep well away from me,
    If you know what's good for thee,
    And for your shins too.
    Keisaku, saku!

(With profound and sincere apologies to the late, great and much-lamented Doris Day!)

WalkerFrogpondAlex

You shouldn't take Cheesus name in blue vain @lobster ;)

Bunkslobsterwildflowers

We had a kid’s 10th birthday party via Skype yesterday. It was chaos.

BunkslobsterWalker
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

I still haven't zoomed. At this rate, I'll be a zoomer before I've ever zoomed.

@Shoshin said:

Oh that's a cracker, @Shoshin !

Bunkslobster
    edited April 2020

@federica said:

@Shoshin said:

Oh that's a cracker, @Shoshin !

Great but please don't spread it around...I might go crackers if you do ;) 😉

I think Cheesus might approve of some crackers

johnathanShoshin

Interesting research out of Finland regarding coughing in supermarkets and how far the droplets can travel......

• The world will continue with or without the human species.
    When this COVID 19 virus finally passes, perhaps our self appointed leaders will actually move to prepare for the inevitable next pandemic. I hold great expectations for the people but our so called leaders have consistently led a deaf ear or even a hostile approach to the populous. Our mission as Buddhists is to continue to work to change the culture of our respective nations and communities to a people-centric culture, a culture of humanism (to include our self appointed leaders.)
    honor each person as a unique, priceless jewel, self not an exception.
    To change the World, start with that person in your mirror. But do not exclude the people around you. Love yourself. Then extend that love to everyone you meet. Even if you don't quite succeed, the effort is worth the cost of admission.

Peace to all

lobsterBunks

I find the financial bail-outs staggering... it seems governments are shouldering much of the burden, and so in the end it comes down to the tax-payer yet again.

edited April 2020

More simple Qi Gong techniques for healthy lungs...

lobster

@Kerome said:
    I find the financial bail-outs staggering... it seems governments are shouldering much of the burden, and so in the end it comes down to the tax-payer yet again.

Yes, according to 'Bloomberg' Financial experts are predicting a worse global recession than the one experienced by the USA, during the Great Depression, in the 30's.
    Buddy, can you spare a Dime?

• Just as I was going stark, raving, sane ... This arrived from the Swiss Embassy ...

Some good tips ... Some should drive me mad again ...

BunksMorningstar

@federica said:

@Kerome said:

Yes, according to 'Bloomberg' Financial experts are predicting a worse global recession than the one experienced by the USA, during the Great Depression, in the 30's.
    Buddy, can you spare a Dime?

The deficit for the government spending over the first quarter came in at something like 80 billion euros, which is unheard of in peacetime.

What are you all doing for exercise? A lot of places are closed, even outside like parks.

I'm arm-wrestling small children for their sweeties (Have lost every contest so far, but I'm a tryer!) and kicking the neighbour's cat to stop it pooing in my garden. Seems to be working. I've achieved 67 yards so far.

FrogpondBunksShoshinperson
  • FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer
    edited April 2020

@federica said:
    I'm arm-wrestling small children for their sweeties (Have lost every contest so far, but I'm a tryer!) and kicking the neighbour's cat to stop it pooing in my garden. Seems to be working. I've achieved 67 yards so far.

I can relate to your cat fouling issue @federica. I put hot chili powder on my border gate and sprayed wall tops with lavender and citronella. Cats never came back.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I lift weights during commercials, run endless safari hunts for dandelions around my property and do about 10K in social distancing a day just trying to counter the consequences of my partners new found forays into baking.

BunksShoshinlobster

@how said:
    I lift weights during commercials, run endless safari hunts for dandelions around my property and do about 10K in social distancing a day just trying to counter the consequences of my partners new found forays into baking.

..."A minute on the lips, a year on the hips!" cakes...killer, eh...?

Bunks

@Kerome said:
    What are you all doing for exercise? A lot of places are closed, even outside like parks.

Are you able just to go for a walk? I walked to the shopping centre that I normally drive to yesterday for supplies. An 8km round trip.

They do say that one of the best all round exercises is walking...especially swinging arms as you go...

Bunkslobster

Interesting video clip where Obama points out the important of funding for 'future' pandemic in 2014...

• @Shoshin said:
    They do say that one of the best all round exercises is walking...especially swinging arms as you go...

On it ...

ShoshinJeffreyBunksWalker

Shouldn't have to worry about other people encroaching on your social distance bubble with that walk.

BunksShoshinlobster

I found the perfect solution. I wore a mask when I went shopping. Anyone who got too close - well, I just coughed. Loudly. I was given a few alarmed looks. But I was also given a wide berth...

WalkerFosdicklobster
  • @Walker said:
    Shouldn't have to worry about other people encroaching on your social distance bubble with that walk.

Indeed. It also helps to be a bear ... unfortunately going bear is not in my capacity ... 🐻🐨🐼

... not sure I have this mask wearing right either ...

edited April 2020

@federica said:
    I found the perfect solution. I wore a mask when I went shopping. Anyone who got too close - well, I just coughed. Loudly. I was given a few alarmed looks. But I was also given a wide berth...

I don't think doing something like that when people genuinely fear for their lives... is the wisest move...

The Christchurch man who filmed himself deliberately coughing and sneezing on people in a supermarket has pleaded guilty.

@federica said:

Yes be careful @federica - they're fast tracking laws here to fine people doing that.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

On the other hand, if these folks were in fear for their lives, why would they be crowding you in the first place? A little fear might be good for them. A reminder of what they have perhaps forgotten might be a kindness, and the next time they start to drift too close to another person, maybe they will dodge the bullet.

BunksWalker
    edited April 2020

Some (including those with respiratory conditions ) have no other option but to venture out to shop...
    Anxiety levels are high and so is stress and depression...Psychologists psychotherapists counsellors already have a busy work load dealing with those in the community who are struggling...

Even though I can understand some people's frustration with 'some' people who are not as mindful as one may like of keeping to social distancing, ( at the best of times people aren't always mindful of others)... I still don't think it's a good ideas to cause others who might already be stressed out/struggling to cope more harm...

A polite "Please keep your distance" (bringing it to their attention) should be one's first approach and if this don't work, see the store security...
    Bearing in mind this social distancing is a new thing and for some (absent-minded) people is easy to forget...

BunksWalkerFosdicklobster

Actually, in my defence, I WAS kidding.

But there is a local lady going round supermarkets holding a broom handle, and constantly pointing it at people yelling "Don't come any closer!" She is already known to be a little eccentric, but she amuses some, and scares the living wits out of others... Her name is Madge, and she's known to be clinically diagnosed as an OCD sufferer...

But no.
    I don't really cough loudly. However, I have been known to mutter "Huh, so much for the 2-metre rule!" loudly.

It's actually a little ridiculous. Shops urge people to queue in a socially-distant manner, then in the store itself, it seems anything goes...

BunksShoshinWalker

Mrs. Walker has noticed the same thing on her shopping forays. People queued up outside the stores with 2m distancing, then once they get inside they bunch up, especially at the till.

She's not used to doing much shopping, it's usually my chore. She's getting a little stressed out with it all.

@Walker said:
    Mrs. Walker has noticed the same thing on her shopping forays. People queued up outside the stores with 2m distancing, then once they get inside they bunch up, especially at the till.

And therein lies the idiocy.
    People being guided, by staff members, to the tills, when one becomes available. Or on busy days, there are demarcation lines taped to the floor.
    So we queue outside at a distance, and queue at the tills at a distance.
    Shopping?
    Free-for-all....

Just... what....The F....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

They're doing one way isles and distance marks for the check out queues here, though most people pay no attention to the one way markers.