Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some of my artwork - feel free to post your own!

DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

BunksJeffreyShoshinWalker

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I rather like the middle picture. It has an attractive solidity imparted by the limited, unified palette and strong, simplified drawing. Colored pencil?

Dimmesdale
  • I like seeing the outlines and then shaded and colored in for the bottom two. These are colored pencils drawings?

Dimmesdale
  • DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

@Fosdick said:
    I rather like the middle picture. It has an attractive solidity imparted by the limited, unified palette and strong, simplified drawing. Colored pencil?

Thank you. I know very little about art/criticism, but it's good to know I "hit upon" something well and good... Yeah this is colored pencil, pretty much the only medium I know.

Bunks

@Jeffrey said:
    I like seeing the outlines and then shaded and colored in for the bottom two. These are colored pencils drawings?

Yes, all colored pencil. I kind of like the non-colored version better but I thought it'd be nice to show both.

Bunks
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

thumbs up.i like the last two.i like creatures.wonderful!

Dimmesdale
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

They're really nice "watercolours", @Kerome ...

lobster

kerome, the first one has an impressionist style. thumbs up.

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran

WalkerShoshinBunks

Walker

WalkerShoshin

Walker

johnathan,great sharp lines and strong contrast .love batman also goku in the action figure genre.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

WalkerShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

WalkerShoshin

fosdick,love the flow of the tree branches.wonderful tribute to the one ear man,van gough.

love seeing art.it lights the color of our humanity.

adamcrossley

Yeah I like it a lot also @fosdick, the lines and the texture make it a very interesting piece.

adamcrossley

Thanks @paulyso, thanks @Kerome. I worked on that painting off and on for 15 years before giving up on it. There is not a living being on this forum who could not have done a better job in 5.

• @Fosdick said:
    There is not a living being on this forum who could not have done a better job in 5.

Challenge accepted!
    Gave it 5 mins of filtering ... :p

Oh I iz wikid! >:)

FosdickWalkerJeroen
    edited April 2020

Sheee-it! Er, I mean ... you took the bait!

lobster

What makes you unhappy about the original @fosdick? I mean making art is always a process of taking courage and making a sudden substantial alteration which destroys what is there and allows something new to come into being, which I personally find quite difficult. But somewhere along the line you must have stopped and said, now it’s done... I think the result is excellent myself, it’s a lovely style.

Few things please me more than an invitation to blather on.

Nothing makes me unhappy about that painting. It is what it is. If experience had not taught that this is an unrealistic expectation, the disappointing thing would be that it has failed to become the thing itself.

Aside from that, it has a number of weaknesses. The transparency and depth of color fall short of what is possible in the medium (egg tempera). This quality cannot be seen in a reproduction of any kind, digital or otherwise, but it is highly developed and can be sensed to some degree in the works of Andrew Wyeth and Robert Vickery, among others.

The bird's feet and the birds in flight are poorly rendered, partly as a result of the small size of the painting. The tree trunks are rather shallowly realized, being based on a distant memory rather than on anything more present and substantial. Same could be said of the bird, except my memory of birds is a little sharper.

Many other things, I'm sure. I would be greatly obliged to anyone wishing to pick this painting apart.

A painting is a living thing for as long as the artist works on it. Like other living things, it starts off strong, grows, reaches maturity and then starts to decline. It is a valuable thing to be able to pick the high point and stop working. Then the painting becomes a thing, frozen in time. Would any of us wish such a fate? Yet clinging to self is a grasping at just that.

If the artist is very skilled, that dead thing can live again in the viewer. @paulyso mentions Van Gogh, who was very, very good at painting in a way that his work could almost instantly live again in the viewer.

You yourself have some skill at brushwork. I'd be very interested to see anything else you care to post.

JeffreyJeroenadamcrossley

fosdick, i feel you.one of my painting sat there for years.then,there is that magic moment driven by inspiration.where you just do it.it can be called the artist instinct,like dao zen ,the element,of ease in flow and concentration.

but in general the creative process takes work.there will be hard days.so i leave it alone.let time inspire.yes there is such thing as in the zone for artist,sudden or gradual.

Fosdick
    edited April 2020

@Fosdick said:
    Few things please me more than an invitation to blather on.

Feel free! After all that is what the forum is for.

Nothing makes me unhappy about that painting. It is what it is.

That is a very beautiful attitude, I have known a few good artists and they are hardly ever very happy with their work. So I applaud any painter who can let go of their art and let it fly in the world.

the works of Andrew Wyeth

I didn’t know Andrew Wyeth worked in that way, very interesting, I’ve never read up on him but always admired the style of his paintings. But it’s very highly detailed and not something I would be comfortable doing, i pay attention to “painting with light” and have gotten used to working on my iPad where I have an undo and a redo!

I would be greatly obliged to anyone wishing to pick this painting apart.

The main thing that jumps out at me is the colour similarity between the background mountain and the back of the bird. It seems to cry out for more contrast, to allow the bird as a whole to stand out more vividly against the backdrop, now the eye gets lost a little.

A painting is a living thing for as long as the artist works on it. Like other living things, it starts off strong, grows, reaches maturity and then starts to decline. It is a valuable thing to be able to pick the high point and stop working. Then the painting becomes a thing, frozen in time. Would any of us wish such a fate? Yet clinging to self is a grasping at just that.

Nicely expressed. But humans don’t have that choice, the hand of time keeps painting on our canvas until in the end the work falls apart. In a way being able to capture one or more points along the journey and call the work finished and sign it is a pleasure, it’s why we have photo albums.

edited April 2020

Ajahn Chah...

WalkerShoshinFosdicklobster
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Wonderful @Fosdick

Is it an American Kestrel? I saw one of these at a show on the Isle of Wight, the cutest little bird I think I’ve ever seen!

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

:D

lobster

@Lee82 Is it an American Kestrel?>

Yes, a male. The females are little less colorful, rusty on the shoulders, more banded markings on the breast and tail. They were quite common where I grew up, and I had a number of them as temporary dependents when I was a teenager - back in the days when they were still called Sparrow Hawks. Fed them on grasshoppers in season, and had my mother's freezer stuffed with frozen grasshoppers to use in the wintertime.

Lee82
    edited April 2020

@Kerome I have known a few good artists and they are hardly ever very happy with their work. >

Yeah, a common condition, not limited to artists. A craving for full control coupled with the delusion that perfection exists and can be realized. Yet to do the work at all, one must believe that one can do better, so it's unavoidable. I only put it aside when my energy levels sank too low to support it.

Andrew Wyeth ... it’s very highly detailed and not something I would be comfortable doing,>

You might also be interested to know that Wyeth considered himself to be an abstractionist. This is hard to understand when looking at a small reproduction, but if you were ever fortunate enough to see one of his originals, you could see what he was talking about.

i pay attention to “painting with light” and have gotten used to working on my iPad >

If you want to paint with light, literally, that's surely the way to do it. I never got into that - I'm not willing to give up the dimension of surface and the subtleties of translucency, texture, tactility and depth that come with it.

colour similarity between the background mountain and the back of the bird.>

Yeah, your right - definitely a fault. Not accurate either - the color is about right for the bird, but the cliffs should be more varied in tonality and paler in color. Ought to be cooler in tone, since they are meant to be in shadow.

allow the bird as a whole to stand out more vividly against the backdrop, now the eye gets lost a little.>

That's deliberate, to some degree. Seeing birds in nature, one is often straining to distinguish bird from background, and very sharp, detailed bird paintings look unnatural to me, though they are useful in illustrations intended to aid in identification.
    Always compromises.

But humans don’t have that choice, the hand of time keeps painting on our canvas until in the end the work falls apart. >

Yes indeed, for the theist it seems to be a case of a God who just can't tell when to stop.
    For the Buddhist, maybe it's a little different?

Dharmas here are empty, all are the primal void.>
    None are born or die, nor are they stained or pure ...>

Have you ever painted in oils, or worked with media that depend on reflected light?

A cute meme I cooked up. Maybe someone understands it. :3

Enjoy!