Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I can't open one of the threads

When I try to open the "The Precepts, Love, and the Positive Form" thread, I get this message:
502 Bad Gateway

I've had no problem getting into that thread previously, including earlier today. Why is this coming up? Thanks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Dakini every member is suffering from the same problem. There is obviously a glitch in the system. Have alerted @Linc ...

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2020

@federica said:
    @Dakini every member is suffering from the same problem. There is obviously a glitch in the system. Have alerted @Linc ...

Thank you. It's kind of frustrating (dukha!), because it's a good topic, that thread, but we can't access it. Oh well. Just one of those techie things. We can wait it out. An opportunity to practice equanimity.

Alex
  • VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

Any more news on these strange dead links?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

So far so nothing...

Another 'Bad Gateway 502' thread... this time the 'Don't Go Crazy' thread. None of my doing, I would add.... ;)

@Linc, this is getting to be a problem...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Another 'Bad Gateway 502' thread... this time the 'Don't Go Crazy' thread. None of my doing, I would add.... ;)

@Linc, this is getting to be a problem...

I can still open it...

Oh goodness, really? Wow.... is anyone else affected adversely, then? That IS odd....

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran

I can still open this thread

Linc

Ok, well it could just be a problem between connecting servers my system just happens to be using.... Apparently. I sound as if I know what I am talking about. I don't. I'm just quoting this page....

BunksAlex

OK: I tried every remedy possible, that website advised or recommended. I STILL get a 'bad gateway' error....

edited March 2020

New dawn new day. Same problem.

It is please worth noting that shortly before this Coronavirus crisis hit the globe, Linc was laid off by Vanilla. Vanilla is how this forum is run, so there are now some glitches within the forum's system that Linc will not now be able to fix...

A different system may eventually need to be adopted, but util then, whatever glitches and problems occur, we may well be stuck with them....

(I would add, by way of an ETA that the '502 Bad Gateway' is also happening on my mobile 'phone....)

Yes @federica - I've now started to get the '502 Bad Gateway' message for that thread on all my devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop)

A long time has elapsed since problems on another thread were reported. I checked, and the bad gateway error is still showing on that thread, currently. I'm absolutely in the dark - haven't the foggiest clue - as to why or how these "errors" are happening. I keep reading websites that state it's a problem with one server talking to another.... Goodness knows... There is apparently no known way a user can successfully bypass the problem....It's a technical issue Server technicians have to address.....

I learnt one way of reading a gateway error thread: you copy the URL, and put the term
    cache:
    in the search box, followed by the URL you copied.
    2 issues:
    One the thread only goes so far (3 to 4 days ago) and
    Two: you have to 'sign in' to comment... and if you click 'sign in', the page goes - and stays - totally blank.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’m getting the 502 error now as well for the ‘dont go crazy’ thread. It’s odd because I didn’t at fede’s first report.

Bunks

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way, but I'm glad I'm not the only one - !

Oh goodness.... all we need now is a 'bad gateway' alert for THIS thread....! :D

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Don't go crazy ;);)

Bunksfederica

Good point, @Shoshin , relevant to so much at the moment....

Bunks

I was in the middle of editing a post with a hyperlink in it when this happened. I was also in the middle of editing a post with a hyperlink in it when the thread on the precepts went down.

Maybe it's hyperlink-related? I wouldn't know.

Linc

@Vimalajāti said:
    I was in the middle of editing a post with a hyperlink in it when this happened. I was also in the middle of editing a post with a hyperlink in it when the thread on the precepts went down.

Maybe it's hyperlink-related? I wouldn't know.

So now we know who to blame... :D

Which 'precepts' thread? The one Bunks started, on Observing the Eight Precepts? That one is still up and running for me, currently, although if above discussion is anything to go by, that might well change....

@federica said:
    Which 'precepts' thread? The one Bunks started, on Observing the Eight Precepts?

The one called "The precepts, love and the positive form."

Oh right - this one.

Yup. Me too. (No hashtag.)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2020

@Vimalajāti Thanks! I really appreciate you letting us know that. That's an excellent lead on finding the cause.

@federica I think you're overblowing things a little bit. While I do expect that one day I will need to move this forum away from Vanilla (due to losing access to ongoing changes to some of the code we use from the cloud-only offering), I don't expect that to become an immediate concern for several months or even years, and it's certainly not related to the server error a few discussions are triggering. The only thing being laid off causes is stress in your humble administrator who is even more distracted than usual. :p

Vimalajātilobster

....@federica I think you're overblowing things a little bit. While I do expect that one day I will need to move this forum away from Vanilla (due to losing access to ongoing changes to some of the code we use from the cloud-only offering), I don't expect that to become an immediate concern for several months or even years...

Just going by what the other Boss told me, Boss... You know full well that when it comes to techno-stuff, I just parrot info, and know jack shit.... 🤓🤪

That was a bit of a scare... I tried to come on site about an hour ago, and the whole damn thing gave me a 'bad gateway' message. Cleared now....

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2020

Every night, the search index rebuilds itself from the database. It's, uh, a bit aggressive about it and tends to overwhelm the database. About 1% of the time it crashes the database entirely and I have to reboot it when I wake up in the morning. We're looking into ways to make the indexer a little less militant. :o

You get the 502 Bad Gateway because PHP is crashing, because when it tries to ask the database for the info it needs to build a page, the database is so broken it scares PHP into also breaking. Or at least that's how it works in my head.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The site was down at least since 8 am GMT this morning, that’s when I first checked it.

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Yeah, I had ‘bad gateway’ for about 6 hours from early morning today, but we are back.....👍

I think our esteemed Administrator noticed something was wrong and took control of the matter. He had to make tweaks and adjustments, and now, thanks to him, here we are, back on track.

I love how he anthropomorphises the systems...! Bad gateway, bad! Naughty PHP! Sit! Stay!

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

@federica to my Luddite brain, tech stuff is basically like reading Pali without an English translation alongside.....😂

Have some biscuits, dear Gateway, who’s a good gateway.....👀

Bunks
    edited March 2020

Perhaps the fact that this morning’s bad gateway error on the main page occurred after a problem with the search indexing indicates that the search indexing on the threads which have the bad gateway error could also be part of the problem. It might well be that the two are linked, that the search index entries for those threads have become corrupted somehow.

I have a lot of experience with tech, though I don’t know PHP and will happily leave the coding to Linc.

Thanks @Linc

edited March 2020

Would it be clever or very dumb for me to start a new thread and try to break it with a hyperlink and some editing to see if that's the issue?

Bunks

Clumb...?

ShoshinBunks

Haha my new favourite word...

The ‘one religion or many’ thread now also produces a Bad Gateway error for me.

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

@Kerome said:
    The ‘one religion or many’ thread now also produces a Bad Gateway error for me.

Same for me.

Yep same

edited April 2020

I did actually mention this in the thread itself on the 2nd page...

ETA: My mistake.
    Actually, page one of your thread. @Kerome, "Where does a Spiritual Journey end" is subject to the 'Bad Gateway' curse, while page 2 still functions as normal.

The 'One Religion or Many' thread still all works for me, but I suspect that too will fall victim for my viewing, eventually....

I wonder if there was a hyperlink in one of the 6 new posts in the "One religion or many" thread.

It may well be a possibility, but a lot of links have been posted in the word association thread, and that's still up and running.

Is there a difference between a link and a hyperlink?

I think a hyperlink is just the longer word for it of the two.

I had an odd bug where the recent discussions front page was not updating in response to new posts on various threads, very peculiar... For me it is still ongoing.

As if both the ‘mandatory implementation of artificial intelligence’ and ‘the Dalai Lama dosen’t want you to convert’ threads were being sunk.

That's because they are.

Ah ok :)

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran
    edited April 2020

I missed the latest comments aimed at me in those threads, in case those who mentioned me were waiting on a reply...