Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Old but good threads

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I’ve recently been digging more into the past of our forum, because often questions that we come up with have been asked before. And in reading these old threads I often come up with some good stuff, so I thought I would create a thread where we can put references to old threads that we’ve read and that have been relevant for us, just to share with other forum members what is going on.

Today I was reading about the “Just Sitting” meditation, or shikantaza in Zen. It is one of my favourites, and I often practice it for clarity of mind, and I came across this:

This is a poetic description of shikantaza or “Just sitting”. It can't be deconstructed, only suggested poetically, and practised in a leap. . This Zen Buddhist way ain't everyone's cup of tea, and it is no better or worse than any other. If this description rings a bell, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Either way, no problem.

From @richardh’s opening post in https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14290/just-sitting/p1

Its a longish thread with some gems about Just Sitting and Zen, and also some fractious toing and froing with banned ex-members. But it does present different views about whether just sitting is a path to the cessation of dhukkha, or just a pausing of it.

Alex

Comments