Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:

@Bunks said:
    What’s the difference @Shoshin ? We’ve stayed on Level 3 and so far so good. Virtually no community transmissions in Victoria the last few days.

What’s the difference

I guess in Oz it differs from state to state...

Yes it does...Vic and NSW have gone harder than the Federal Govt recommended and that the likes of NT or South Aus.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2020

It's sad really @Bunks ...in this Covid 19 pandemic, some leaders who care more about the population's health and well being, are often criticized by some (often it would seem by those who worry more about money than the life itself) for being too strict when it comes to lockdown , and the same people will also condemn the leaders, if they had relaxed the restrictions to soon and in doing so more people died...

They are damned if they do ....and damned if they don't...such is the life of a political leader who actually cares....

The way things stand at the moment, nobody really knows what lies ahead...

When it comes to the health and well being of others ...Is it best to err on the side of caution or become complacent....

Bearing in mind, a nation can bring the economy back to life, but not it's dead...

BunkslobsterfedericaWalker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Animals are roaming the streets...

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2020

@Shoshin said: It's sad really ... some leaders who care more about the population's health and well being, are often criticized by some ... for being too strict when it comes to lockdown... the same people will also condemn the leaders, if they had relaxed the restrictions too soon and in doing so more people died...

They are damned if they do ....and damned if they don't...

Funnily enough I said something similar on Facebook, when someone was tearing into Boris Johnson...

Probably be accused of playing Devil's Advocate here, but ya know, The Tories are not the only Government to have "made mistakes" and they're certainly not the most guilty party. New Zealand? Better. USA and Brazil? Let's not even go there....
    And who's to honestly say they Know for damn sure any other party here could have done better? And while I know that they have messed up and fumbled things along the way, do we have to focus on the negative all the time, and keep complaining, when there are also things they have tried to do which have been right and justified?
    It's easy to criticise when you're not the one with the responsibility or final say. It's easy to criticise when you don't have your fingers on the purse strings. But can we just take a break from condemning the Government and the Cabinet at every available opportunity because hey, we need someone to blame, and they're the Tories and we didn't vote for them, and Johnson's a fumbling idiot anyway, and how much longer do we have to stay home?
    Please? Can't we find something nice to say? Remember the 'Be Kind' campaign? Is it Conditional? >Do people have to do things the way we want all the time, for us to be kind to them, or can they just be human like the rest of us and eat sleep, breathe, shit and exist like us?

Bunks

Well said @federica .

In Australia, our national broadcaster (the ABC) runs anti-Trump stories every day, EVERY f’n DAY!

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t have voted for him but please just give it a rest.....

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Just turn the channel to SKY @Bunks :D

BunksShoshin

Speaking of Trump...

A few days ago I tried to listen to Trump speaking to the press at a press conference, thinking he might have something important to say...however, the spew coming out of his mouth made me want to vomit, I couldn't listen to him and had to turn him off...Not many people can turn my stomach like that man....

It was my mistake to think he may have something important to say...something other than him bragging about himself ....but no..it was the same old same old crap...

Don't get me wrong, I have compassion for his stupidity and ignorance, knowing that he has had many years of conditioning to perfect this ignorant nature which sadly has become a way of life for him.....

The Buddha said something along the lines of " Don't suffer fools gladly"....

And Trump (so it would seem) lives in a fools paradise ...

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment...

Hmm perhaps next time (no doubt there will be a next time) I might just mute the sound and have him lip sync a pre-recording of someone with something more positive to say ......

@Shoshin said:
    Speaking of Trump...

It was my mistake to think he may have something important to say...something other than him bragging about himself ....but no..it was the same old same old crap...

Do you think part of the reason he's always talking about himself is because he has to constantly defend himself from attack?

Just being the devil's advocate.

howShoshin

@Bunks said:

Do you think part of the reason he's always talking about himself is because he has to constantly defend himself from attack?

Just being the devil's advocate.

But he's not defending himself @Bunks ....He's just belittling/attacking others or taking the credit of the good work others have done and claiming it as his own...and when the shit produced by his bungling hits the fan, he tries to shift the blame to others...shit shoveling ...believe me, I didn't have to dig far for this image to come up, in fact (and not alternative fact ;) ) it was the first one to appears ..and I didn't have to add Trump' s name to the search...

The attacks for the most part are just people questioning his blatant lies (lies that are on record, millions have seen/heard them come from his mouth but which he denies) ...

I remember Kellyanne Conway (Trumps old campaign manager) coining the term alternative facts a way to try and change/bend the conventional truth .to suit Trump's needs...

The First nation people have a term for people who spoke untruths they said these people spoke with "Forked Tongue" ...Trump, sadly is the embodiment of this term...

Bunks

@Shoshin - yep, I'm done.....

Shoshin

@Bunks said:
    @Shoshin - yep, I'm done.....

Well done? Medium raw? or raw ? ;)

Bunks

Medium raw @Shoshin? - I'd love to see the look on the waiter's face when you ordered that :)

WalkerShoshin

Hey @Walker...I haven't been watching the news for a few days however today I've just heard about the mass shooting in Canada...
    It saddens me to hear about this ...My condolences to all involved...Have they found what was the motive behind this mad murderous rampage ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    Hey @Walker...I haven't been watching the news for a few days however today I've just heard about the mass shooting in Canada...
    It saddens me to hear about this ...My condolences to all involved...Have they found what was the motive behind this mad murderous rampage ?

I personally find the motive to be utterly pointless knowledge. I mean, does it matter, really, what their 'motive' was? It's the resulting carnage we need to focus on. This incessant need to want to know the 'why' of everything... Who cares? The 'motive' is sure to have been a senseless and utterly ridiculous one.

Knowing what the motive might have been. gives the tortured soul he was, greater significance, purpose, reason.
    There IS no significance.
    There IS no purpose.
    There IS NO Reason.

He killed because he wanted to.
    That motive alone, shows the warped sense of horrific and misguided justification.

edited April 2020

I haven't heard much about that yet @Shoshin

It's left the entire country in a state of shock. @johnathan lives in Nova Scotia, I believe. I hope he's doing as well as he can be, given the circumstances. This must be a really difficult time for them. It's a relatively small population (about a million or so for the whole province) with a lot of tightly knit, rural, traditional communities. My thoughts are with them all.

ShoshinjohnathanFrogpond

As an aside, I believe that whatever the motivation was, you'll find anger, greed or ignorance or a combination of them at the root, won't you?

lobsterShoshinFrogpond

(I'm glad this is the 'fun' thread... >:( )

Walker
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited April 2020

@Walker said:

It's left the entire country in a state of shock. @johnathan lives in Nova Scotia, I believe. I hope he's doing as well as he can be, given the circumstances. This must be a really difficult time for them. It's a relatively small population (about a million or so for the whole province) with a lot of tightly knit, rural, traditional communities. My thoughts are with them all.

Thanks @Walker

The mass shooting killed 19 people. I did not know any of them. My brother knew 2 as they were his co-workers. 1 was a friend of my nephew.

The shooter set fires to homes and shot people as they ran out. He built an authentic looking police car with decals and everything and wore a realistic looking Mountie uniform and pulled people over just to shoot them... he travelled 3 counties from the 1st death to the last. The police killed him in a shoot out.
    It was a pretty scary ordeal and constant Facebook and tweet updates made it all the more intense.

My GF is pretty shaken up by it and has been emotionally distraught since.

I am well and helping those close to me who were effected by it through this sad time.

As a side note. In deaths, this mass shooting would be 9th in the US's top 10 mass shootings in modern history.

ShoshinWalkerlobster

On my walk this morning I spied a falcon on the grass and as I got closer it took to the air, gracefully riding the air wave...(My phone camera's not the best... you can just see it circling above me )

WalkerBunks

It's a glorious Autumn day here - got my boy out with the secateurs......picture me leaning on a shovel watching him :)

WalkerShoshin

Watching others work is so much fun!

BunkslobsterShoshin

@Bunks: Bare feet? shears? Where's the Health & Safety Inspector when you need him - ?! (He would have better cutting power and leverage if he holds the shears at the end. Simple Physics.)

What kind of a Jobsworth Foreman are you?! :D

lobster

@federica said:
    @Bunks: Bare feet? shears? Where's the Health & Safety Inspector when you need him - ?! (He would have better cutting power and leverage if he holds the shears at the end. Simple Physics.)

What kind of a Jobsworth Foreman are you?! :D

Hehe they were actually too heavy for him but he insisted on trying (you know how stubborn kiddies can be).

He managed to chop off about four leaves and eventually gave up for dad to finish the rest.

Tch! Kids today, huh...? :D

WalkerBunks

The robins are here. Spring has sprung!

Now, if we can just get the inevitable Alberta late snowfall over and done with, we'll be golden! :D

ShoshinBunkslobster

Well I'm busy Autumn cleaning, finished the kitchen and bathroom floors and now to tackle the lounge, then bedroom...after which I'll go for a walk and observe Mother Nature putting on her Autumn cloak...

WalkerBunkslobster

Received some good advice from my neighbours on my walk this afternoon.

ShoshinWalker

Mother Nature's Autumn cloak...

BunkslobsterWalker

Heartwarming news in a time of uncertainty...
    Mum gives birth to baby girl on ferry

WalkerBunks

That's ferry nice, did they call her Mersey?

BunksWalkerShoshin

Coming back from my walk ( i visited the beach) I spied this little fellow on the track close to home...

It was quite cool this morning so, it's possible its solar panel wings hadn't attracted enough of sun's warm rays yet for it to take to the clear blue yonder ...

WalkerBunkslobster
    edited April 2020

I am working in the office today for the first time in about six weeks.

There is literally one other person on my floor (which normally seats about 250).

Don't think I'll need worry about social distancing :)

ShoshinWalker

NZ is on level 3 now ( as of 11.59pm Monday)...I'll be back at work at my other job tomorrow, only two people allowed in the office, social distancing applies in the office...Normally there are 3 staff on each day, but it will be a while before we go back the this...Plus we will have no face to face contact with clients, just phone ins and emails...and food parcel deliveries, or we can leave the food outside the office for the clients to pick up.........

Fortunately with my volunteer work I can still work from home on the laptop and phone......

BunksWalker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It was King’s Day yesterday here — the birthday of the king, a public holiday. There are usually lots of small feasts with live music and food stalls, free markets where people sell their old things, and a lot of singing and drinking.

This time there were cars with loudspeakers playing various popular songs, people leaning from their balconies and displays of flags. But social distancing prevented almost everything else.

BunksShoshinWalker

I’ve finished reading The Complete Teachings of Ajahn Chah, all 700 pages of it, and I have to say much of it was amazingly clear. I’d highly recommend reading this one, especially as it is a free download as a pdf. It’s become my favourite book of Dhamma teachings.

lobsterhowBunksShoshin
    edited April 2020

Thanks @Kerome - I am part way through "Stillness Flowing - The Life and Teachings of Ajahn Chah" - it's his biography. Also an interesting read.

It's freely available as a pdf also.

edited April 2020

Well there was a mix up with the roster at work and when I got in this morning there were already two staff on...which means no office work today...However I've still got a few phone calls to make for my volunteer work...So no rest for the wicked...;)

Last night after I had declined my neighbour's kind offer to get some shopping for me via her online order with the supermarket... thinking that I'd call into the supermarket after work, it's close to where I work...

However later in the evening I decided to check the availability of the home delivery service , (I hadn't done this in a while because the slots always seemed to be filled for weeks ahead) and to my surprise there was still one slot free, for Monday so I booked it...

It beats having to run the supermarket aisle's viral coughing gauntlet :) ...Last week a lady a few metres behind me in one of the aisle coughed, fortunately it sounded muffled which means she was doing the right thing by covering her mouth with her elbow...

So far so good the island has been coronavirus free,(well no reports of any today) however we went to level 3 yesterday and around 150 tradesmen came over on the ferry from Auckland to do some work at one of the local school...The risk will be even greater when we go to level 2 where it will be a free for all, with all the commuters coming and going on the ferries ....

WalkerBunks
  • Awesome @Lee82

May all be auspicious. May you find wisdom. 👍🏼💗🙏🏽

Lee82

Best of luck @Lee82 - may your path be swift and easy.....

@Lee82 said:
    I’ve done it, I’ve enrolled on the 3 year dharma course with Kagyu Samye Ling. 30 modules in total and I’ve received the welcome pack and first module today, eek!

Remember ...Great expectations (the self's desires) can lead to Great disappointment....

So...Don't expect anything in return.....or to put another way...expect the unexpected

Well the eccentric gadget guy ( the guy who puts the chairs and tables out on the beach) is also an inventor...Along with a few other things, he made his own electric motor bike and kayak with outboard motor...Now he's got a remote control paddle board which he can transport things on.... he was testing it out this afternoon at the beach...

Walker

Cool! I wonder if they can vote?

lobster

Hmm come to think of it.... the gadget guy's remote control paddle board invention could be used by surf life savers...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Happy May Day.

Bravo to our brave bwankers and other essential services ... miss government, trumpeting elephants or are they donkeys? Wait ... think I gone wrong again ...

https://www.almanac.com/content/what-may-day
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers'_Day

Will you be demonstrating your don't-care or care?

@lobster said:
    Happy May Day.

Bravo to our brave bwankers and other essential services ... miss government, trumpeting elephants or are they donkeys? Wait ... think I gone wrong again ...

Will you be demonstrating your don't-care or care?

What exactly is May Day @lobster ? I was just discussing this with my mother.

It's my parent's wedding anniversary today - 55 long years.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2020

What exactly is May Day @lobster ? I was just discussing this with my mother.

International Workers Day based on a European Pagan festival day

So socialists, revolutionaries, enraged Buddhists will be frying the red flag. Those of a more poetic bent will be:

• Dancing around May Poles (Prole Prancing)
    • Going to the bank for a massive loan and never paying it back
    • Sending Theresa May (ex British PM) a bunch of Boris type weedlings
    • Planting a turnip in 10 Downing Street
    • Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! call an ambulance, there is a madman on the loose - oh wait it is just me . . .

PS. Give your parents my sincere condolences congratulations ... oops ... o:)

BunksWalker