Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meat eaters tend to have better psychological health than vegetarians

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Meat eaters tend to have better psychological health than vegetarians

People who avoid meat consumption tend to have worse psychological health than those who eat meat, according to new research published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. The study, which did not draw any conclusions about causation, found that vegetarians/vegans were at a greater risk of depression, anxiety, and self-harm.

I thought it smelt fishy...So when researching into the author Urska Dobersek, and the funding for the study I found this...

This study was funded in part via an unrestricted research grant from the Beef Checkoff, through the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. The sponsor of the study had no role in the study design, data collection, data analysis, data interpretation, or writing of the report.

Do you think there's some truth to it ?

Or is it just another meat association's beef with vegans & vegetarians for promoting a healthier meals with squeals diet ?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Sounds like one of those research projects that we can agree with if it suits our opinions.....

I wouldn't pay it too much heed personally.

Shoshinlobster
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

I honestly don't care about studies like this. They're all promoted/marketed to cause strife between groups of people.

ShoshinFrogpond
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The fact that it is funded by a meat organisation is very suspicious, that’s for sure. It puts pressure on the people doing the work and it often allows them to kill aspects of the study they don’t like.

BunksShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

This is exactly like the in-depth research that told us how very bad butter was for us - funded and sponsored by 2 companies that manufactured margarine. Which in my own personal opinion, is a poison.

ShoshinlobsterJeroenFrogpond
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

People with health problems will often adopt a vegetarian/vegan diet. Studies have shown that people with veg diets are less healthy on average. Importantly the cause of the poorer health isn't the diet, the cause of the diet is the poorer health. The same can easily be true here, and especially since the study was sponsored by a meat association, take it with a large grain of salt.

On top of that nutrition studies are hard to do well and single studies should never be taken as gospel. Even in science generally studies need to be replicated several times before they are taken very seriously, unlike popular public science which often takes one study as if it is definitive.

A fascinating new study released today from a very reliable source confirmed that all your opinions are correct, there are no flaws in your worldview, beliefs, or hot takes, and that everything you say is more or less absolutely correct...

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-study-confirms-all-your-opinions-are-correct?fbclid=IwAR1NOauO09LGKYPpw5Vt1RzjafwrgOqd6tfFCPjyag8LTaCrAH98yp9Yv_U

JeroenShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

What do they say about fish eaters?

He asks just having eaten a relatively huge portion of baked salmon in onions and tomatoes.

But it was the beef council who funded the study so it is unlikely to say anything about fish.

lobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2020

Good for you, for checking out the sources. ALWAYS research sources. One way to easily debunk the conclusions, is to point out, that in some cases, the meat-eaters and the vegetarians are the same people. IOW, some people switch in one direction to another during the course of their life. Do they suddenly become depressed after becoming vegetarian, or do they experience major mood swings, if they change regimes?

It's ridiculous. It sounds like a study funded by conservative parents of young vegans, lol.

Shoshinlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

"The study, which did not draw any conclusions about causation, found that vegetarians/vegans were at a greater risk of depression, anxiety, and self-harm."
    I think folks who suffer some degree of depression, anxiety or tendencies for self-harm are more likely to question the status quo and, in that process, call into question the ways and means by which they can cause suffering by their eating choices.

The same could be said for the people who meditate.

A slightly different way of presenting that study would be to say that vegetarians tended to demonstrate a greater capacity for empathy than non-vegetarians.

In my book, empathy is the very foundation of psychological health whereas for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, empathy is probably just a really bad business model.

federicaBunksShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2020

@person said:
    A fascinating new study released today from a very reliable source confirmed that all your opinions are correct, there are no flaws in your worldview, beliefs, or hot takes, and that everything you say is more or less absolutely correct...

I knew I was right all along ;);)

BunksWalkerlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's true that unhealthy diets be they animal flesh consumption or non animal flesh consumption, can be detrimental to both body and mind...

For example, some might rush into a vegetarian or vegan diet (with good intention, thinking it's the right thing to do ) without knowing the nutritional requirements involved in such diets, which after a while, can lead to health problems, both mental & physical...

Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2020

@Kerome said:
    What do they say about fish eaters?

He asks just having eaten a relatively huge portion of baked salmon in onions and tomatoes.

But it was the beef council who funded the study so it is unlikely to say anything about fish.

I believe cows are evolved fish? As for salmon ... Yum!

I believe one should consume nutrition in a palatable form and stop spinning empty plates ...

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

"What comes out of your mouth is more important than what goes into it..."

Author unknown

ShoshinWalker
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Don't try telling that to a starving man.

lobsterShoshinBunksWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

or a lobster come to that ...

ShoshinWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@how said:

What if it's said by a starving man?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:

@how said:

What if it's said by a starving man?

Give that man a sausage ... or fishing line ...
    'Give a man a vegeburger and feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and feed him for life.'

howWalker
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Bunks said:

Author unknown

Joking aside...

This is a wise warning to the indolent, heedless and most probably arose in response those folks being more attentive to the contents of their alms bowl than to the alms practice behind it.
    but like most fixed teachings against a background of endless possibilities, the true worth of such a saying usually depends more on the skillful means of its application than on its recitation.

Bunkslobster
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2020

@Bunks said:

Author unknown

Whoever wrote the Gospel of Matthew

And yes, you're right, author unknown

Bunks