Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Piecing together the Karmic Puzzle...( What can "I" say "Good luck with that" ;) )

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited May 2020 in Buddhism Basics

Even though Karma is a topic that can leave many questions unanswered, especially for the inquisitive mind

I found this short clip on Karma & Rebirth ...interesting

Understanding Pratītyasamutpāda & Anatta can help one come to grips with some aspects of karma...

However....relying on the intellect alone, can be/often is an obstacle..... being tripped up by ones own feet so to speak....

"When the intellect ventures into where it does not belong, it becomes lost in its own confusion"

It would seem that this is often the case when it comes to trying to fully understand karma......karma...karma

"I'm just a vibrating bundle of energy flux, held together by karmic glue
often propelled along by ignorance ...in the mind... a monkey zoo !"

WalkerlobsterRen_in_black

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @Shoshin 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

ShoshinWalkerlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2020

Yes Karma has to do with intention. And why is karma so important in Buddhism? Could it be that our intentions have power? Ding Ding I win a prize! (maybe??)

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Intention is interesting...
    Through intention, karma arises and through karma, intention arises.. go figure.. ;);)

Hmm....which came first..._The chicken ? Or the egg ?

Perhaps there is/was no first to speak of....

BunksWalkerlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys, great thread of karma yama <3
    Prizes and dharma medals (Buddha amulets, yantra etc) all around ... 👍🏼🙏🏽🌈🌍

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I take it this is all just a bit of chit-chat after my thread closure yesterday? Dear me children, but you are unruly sometimes...🙄🤨🙂

BunksWalkerlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    Even though Karma is a topic that can leave many questions unanswered, especially for the inquisitive mind

Does Vimeo offer subtitles? I can't hear a word he's saying.

Very useful...

• Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

ShoshinBunks

@federica said:

@Shoshin said:

Does Vimeo offer subtitles? I can't hear a word he's saying.

Very useful...

Try clicking on and sliding the vertical lines that increase in size on the bottom right hand side just before the setting star...they are the volume control...

It’s a bit echoey for sure. You might need to turn the hearing aid up a bit @federica......(ducks for cover) ;)

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Brightness can be felt, heard and sensed.
    Clarity is herd right (right Sanga ... includes left wing Sangha) ...

and ... [Lobster gibbers quietly ...]

• lobsterlobster Veteran

My understanding of karma is peculiar (who would have guessed?)
    For example I understand it can work backwards. Your good actions now can effect the past, yourself and others in other timelines and dimensions.

Did warn you ... 🙃

To put it bluntly we NOW are the results of our future BuddhaHoody. That might give an idea of how far away we be ... :p

As an example, we are as future Buddhas, as we manifest.

[Lobster does his lines]

I must be good
    I must be good
    I must be good

JeffreyBunks

Does the tail wag the dog ?

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

@lobster said:
    My understanding of karma is peculiar (who would have guessed?)
    For example I understand it can work backwards. Your good actions now can effect the past, yourself and others in other timelines and dimensions.

Did warn you ... 🙃

To put it bluntly we NOW are the results of our future BuddhaHoody. That might give an idea of how far away we be ... :p

As an example, we are as future Buddhas, as we manifest.

[Lobster does his lines]

I must be good
    I must be good
    I must be good

lobster,that is interesting.i will be brutally honest,i just want sex and companionship with my future wife.if buddhas are beyond sex,then i will stay as a lay bodhi serving in my little way to buddhas.

so my mantra,

happy with wife
    happy with wife
    happy with wife

future wife,i hope so....

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2020

@ paulyso

One Zen possibility about this laity verses Buddha question is..

You can only ever practice in this current moment. Don't let the theory of some future Buddhist ideal detract from the efficacy of what you can actually practice with right now.
    When your wants for sex & companionship are what you have put highest on your altar then how clearly you can face them both can become your main practice vehicle.

Such a vehicle can simply motor along the road towards suffering's cessation without needing to qualify anyone's spiritual driver's license.

lobsterRen_in_blackShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@paulyso said:
    lobster,that is interesting.i will be brutally honest,i just want sex and companionship with my future wife.

Well then none of us on this forum are getting any younger (despite @lobsters peculiar views on the timing of karma), so I would suggest there is no time to waste in finding said future wife :) good luck @paulyso

lobster

@how said:
    @ paulyso

One Zen possibility about this laity verses Buddha question is..

You can only ever practice in this current moment. Don't let the theory of some future Buddhist ideal detract from the efficacy of what you can actually practice with right now.
    When your wants for sex & companionship are what you have put highest on your altar then how clearly you can face them both can become your main practice vehicle.

Such a vehicle can simply motor along the road towards suffering's cessation without needing to qualify anyone's spiritual driver's license.

thank you how.

i want to explain why i chose--for me--love as a vehicle.my instinct is love compliment the heart of existence.buddhas-imo-understand spiritual and natural love.even maitrya is called lovingly kind.with my own eyes i see love expressed every where in mundain situations. from our tradition,its buddha nature love expressed.so in my heart buddhas gives thumbs up to love however expressed.

another reason,i encountered in mahayanna scripture,this perfect love.it spoke to my heart.to me what perfect way to experience it is with a mate.im some what practical,discover this perfect love physically and spiritual.

thank you for the kind positive encouraging words.

lobster

@Kerome said:

@paulyso said:
    lobster,that is interesting.i will be brutally honest,i just want sex and companionship with my future wife.

Well then none of us on this forum are getting any younger (despite @lobsters peculiar views on the timing of karma), so I would suggest there is no time to waste in finding said future wife :) good luck @paulyso

thanks karome.i actually believe in lobsters karma theory.who knows my future wife is sending love letters to me now.so she is my bride,in the next life . i guess i believe in the supernatural.but to each our own.

got to go do dao zen landscaping.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Good post from @how

The Buddhood extends in an eternal loop in all direction, past, future, sideways from the present moment.

It is one of the Tantric auspicious signs. It is both Samsara and Knot Nirvana and the reverse ...

@paulyso - be careful what you wish for..... <3

Shoshin

@paulyso said:
    bunks yea i hear you. every relationships is different.some last some dont. but i want to give it a try.so in here and now i work on being the best decent guy possible,the five precept,five love language,that my future wife wants me.then again im nutty...as of now im a happy nut.

That deserves a :D and a <3

lobsterShoshinWalker