Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Obama, Day 1

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited January 2009 in Buddhism Today
  • Pay freeze on top officials
  • Stricter, meaningful ethics rules
  • Reversed Bush's Freedom of Information Act policies (i.e. reverted to more open policies)
  • Suspended Guantanamo tribunals
  • Suspended any "pending" Bush policies like looser emissions standards that hadn't taken effect yet
  • Called leaders of Egypt, Jordan, Israel, and Palestine
It's like someone rousted me from bed after a long, depressing dream.... :crazy:

Comments

• edited January 2009
    And so, 24 hours into his presidency he has already done some good things. 1459 days to go (or 2919 if reelected).
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Guantanamo ordered to close within the year: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7845585.stm
  • edited January 2009
    AND he is working for the official withdrawal date for Iraq!!! Man, is Brack gonna make headlines everyday with decisions contrary to the previous administrations....

Oh, and he broke a Bush cardinal rule yesterday... "Jackets required in Oval Office." Barack was seen in just shirt and tie and hos jacket draped over a chair. ;D
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    He said he was going to make changes and make them fast. For once a politician who does what he promised!

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2009
    So far, so good ... although I'm a bit skeptical of the stimulus package he is trying to push through Congress.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2009
    We need to be careful to avoid a 'messianic' view of the new President's limited powers. As my USian friends never fail to point out, the USA Constitution is based firmly on the principle of separation of powers.

If he manages to get across the idea that the rights in the Bill of Rights are aspirations which require us to work towards them "with malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right".

Jason: Although the current economic situation may have had some of its origins in the US, I agree with our Prime Minister (a rare event) that the solutions must come from concerted effort. We have allowed the creation of a sort of "super-nation" which is the globalised banking industry. National frontiers and regulation can be avoided, leading, initially, to great profits and even greater unrealistic objectives. Even nmore than after 9/11, the world needs to pull together. As an ex-oarsman who clearly remembers the pain of learning to row in an eight, I think there is a serious risk of our getting soaked and having to swim to the shore.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I'm trying not to let my hopes get too out of hand but whenever I read another story about President Obama making the changes he's making I can't help but get excited. Matt described it perfectly, like waking from a long, depressing dream. I'm so stoked and I'm not even American! He's everything I've ever wished for in a U.S. president and I can't help but love him.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Please tell me he's going to find some way to put the qitmo detainees on trial. That's what they deserve. I agree with alot the new pres is doing, but that one is a stickler. If they try them properly, then they can be let go, but somehow they need to be tried.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I'm with you bushinoki... if there's no evidence to support a trial, then let them go... if there's some evidence, then run that up the flagpole and see who salutes!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I remain inspired.

Take another peek at Day One, Hour One:

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

This is not a picture of "God's Frozen People." They may be in 33 degree weather, but they look pretty happy to me.
    edited January 2009
    Les, that has actually been the problem, there is evidence, but so much of it is classified that each individual case has had to be tied up in congress seeking a military tribunal for these men. Definitely, give them the fair trial they deserve, but quit playing politics with mens lives like that. It's been what, 6-7 years for some of them. Put them on trial, and end everyone's misery with that.

The good news is that, regardless of what any Justice Dept. Lawyer might say, the torture was ordered to end after Abu Ghraib, and only interrogation as found in official manuals is allowed, and will remain that way.

And if any more higher ranking officers try to ok torture (outside of the one and only context I mentioned several months ago) again, I will beat some sense into them out of frustration for having to sit through the same briefing four times in a year.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2009
    bushinoki wrote: »
    Please tell me he's going to find some way to put the qitmo detainees on trial. That's what they deserve. I agree with alot the new pres is doing, but that one is a stickler. If they try them properly, then they can be let go, but somehow they need to be tried.

I couldn't agree more, Bushi. This is a perfect example of the legal dictum that "justice delayed is justice denied". The detainees deserve:
    * immediate relocation to better quarters and conditions;
    * access to independent legal representation;
    * their day in court.

I admit that I have a rather old-fashioned view of the importance of due process and the protection of the legal system. There is a wonderful exchange between Thomas More and Roper in Robert Bolt's A Man For All Seasons which has stayed with me over the years:
    ROPER So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!
    MORE Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
    ROPER I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
    MORE (Roused and excited) Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you-where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast - man's laws, not God's - and if you cut them down-and you're just the man to do it - d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? (Quietly) Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.

Of all the nations which have cried "Liberty", the US has most clearly asserted the vital importance of due process and has appealed, over and again, to the principles of justice. It is heart-breaking that, from time to time, as in the Civil War, those who have been called to defend that liberty and justice, have betrayed and suspended them.

I think there should be no rejoicing when Gitmo closes but, rather, a solemn, national act of atonement and reconciliation - by ourselves in Europe together with our brother and sisters in the US.
    edited January 2009
    Indeed, Simon, I find I can't agree more. Due Process of Law, as Well as a Speedy Trial, even if it can't be completely public, is of the utmost importance here. The fact they've had to sit for so long, while Congress takes its' sweet time debating each case individually, when one blanket act could have moved all these men to trial a few years ago, irks me.