Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation / Mindfulness Research Study

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi all

For anyone living in Australia, the UK or the USA

Please see the invite below to participate in an online research study by Melbourne University on the effects of meditation.

https://melbourneuni2.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dnfZ2fW2KEijfYp

It takes about 10 minutes to fill out initially and apparently it's only about 3 minutes a week for 8 weeks.

We are looking for participants, between 18-75 years of age, living in Australia, UK, or the US, who plan to start or already have an active mindfulness/meditation practice.

What you will do:

• Start or continue to practice mindfulness/meditation (any practice inspired by or consistent with the general principles of paying attention to your experience, on purpose, in the present moment, with acceptance/non-judgment/discernment)
• Complete 3-9 surveys totaling 25 minutes over 8 weeks (avg = 3min/week)

Reimbursement

• As you begin the study, you will be entered into a drawing for 1 of 10 electronic giftcards* with value equivalent to AU$100.
• If you complete surveys through the first month (regardless of whether you continue to practice), you will be entered into another draw for 1 of 10 electronic giftcards* with value equivalent to AU$100.
• If you complete surveys through the second month (regardless of whether you continue to practice), you will be entered into a final draw for 1 of 10 electronic giftcards* with value equivalent to AU$200.
Additionally, you have the option to complete a personality measure (~ 2 minutes) at the beginning and at the end of the study. If you opt to do so, you will be entered into an additional draw for 1 of 10 electronic giftcards with value equivalent to AU$50 at each time.
*e.g., giftcards can be selected among GiftPay/Amazon/eBay/iTunes

To participate, follow this link:
https://melbourneuni2.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dnfZ2fW2KEijfYp

Responsible Researcher: Dr. Nicholas Van Dam, Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne (Tel: 8344 3644 E: nicholas.vandam@unimelb.edu.au)

Approved by the University of Melbourne Ethics Committee, HREC# 2056439

--
Nicholas T. Van Dam, B.S., M.A.(Clin Psy), Ph.D.
Senior Lecturer | Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
Deputy Director | Brain and Mental Health Hub
| Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
| University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, Australia
office: 816 Redmond Barry Bldg
office phone: +61 (0)3 8344 3644
mobile phone: +61 04 3447 4929
email: nicholas.vandam@unimelb.edu.au
webpage: www.nicholastvandam.com
twitter: @ntvandam

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited May 2020

So Kiwis miss out again ;);) ..which remind me...Aotearoa (NZ) is left out of/off some world maps too....

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited May 2020

@Shoshin said:
    So Kiwis miss out again ;);) ..which remind me...Aotearoa (NZ) is left out of/off some world maps too....

Sorry mate.....being irrelevant has its benefits though.

ShoshinWalker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Hehe... no Canucks either

ShoshinBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

We are looking for participants, between 18-75 years of age, living in Australia, UK, or the US, who plan to start or already have an active mindfulness/meditation practice.

I do not fit the age rage/range, I am barely living by any standards, my meditation is hardly active. I use it to go into a sleep mode (power napping). I am just rubbish buddhist 😶🤐🙃

BunksJeroenWalkerAlex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:

Yeah... I think you made that place up dude... I bet you live in Chipping Norton..

Walker

Or Weston-super-Mare (the coolest town name ever!)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2020

sounds a bit Tantric yab-yum to me @Bunks
    ... here are some more ... for research purposes only ...
    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/69445/43-charmingly-odd-british-town-names

BunksWalker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Bunks said:
    Or Weston-super-Mare (the coolest town name ever!)

The locals Call it 'Weston-Super-Mud'. The main beach has actual clay mud flats which the Victorians used to sit in 'for their health'. I have been there. Sat in the mud. And lost a wellington boot and a (cheap) bracelet therein, too! Suction!

BunksWalker

@lobster said:
    sounds a bit Tantric yab-yum to me @Bunks
    ... here are some more ... for research purposes only ...
    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/69445/43-charmingly-odd-british-town-names

Barton in the Beans......hehe

edited May 2020

There's a Westward Ho in Alberta as well. hehe

BunksShoshin

Ah, but don't forget the compulsory exclamation mark. It's the only place in the UK where a punctuation actually forms an integral and vital part of the name...

BunksWalkerAlex

Our Ho is less brazen. :D

ShoshinBunksJeroen

There's no such thing as an unbrazen Ho.

howAlex

@federica said:

How did this thread end up here? :D

Alex

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

How did this thread end up here? :D

It's all @Shoshin's fault. She started it!

ShoshinBunksWalker

@Bunks said:
    I don't think any of you are fit for this research study :)

It's your fault, you started it!

BunksWalker

Hi all - if anyone actually did decide to participate, please let me know as I have received the first follow up survey.....I can PM to you.