Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I can't open one of the threads

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FeistyGibblets, The threads still exist, they just don't get boosted to the top when a member adds a comment.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    FeistyGibblets, The threads still exist, they just don't get boosted to the top when a member adds a comment.

Oh puts on dunce cap

I'm still getting the Bad Gateway message so it's all good

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@FeistyGibblets said:

For which thread..?

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2020

@federica said:

@FeistyGibblets said:

For which thread..?

The recent Dalai Lama one. This Nginx demon might haunt us, and I think the damage it could do is at least a bit serious. People are less likely to post on a forum if their precious, oh so precious, words could possibly go up in smoke, and as much as internet fora are a potential for Dharma discussion, they are also driven by the intellectual vanity of know-it-all posters like myself and others here, though I daren't identify anyone but myself.

Bunksadamcrossley

@Vimalajāti said:
    The recent Dalai Lama one.

Yep that one.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

For what it’s worth, nothing is being lost, it’s just locked away for the moment.

BunksVimalajātiStraight_Manadamcrossley
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’m getting the nginx Bad Gateway error on the ‘Kind of Buddhist’ thread... it’s still there...

adamcrossley
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Me too

Yes, same here.... My only option is to contact @Linc again and get an update if one even exists.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I noticed it happened just after Alex’s last post, so perhaps there is something in the posting operation that causes this to manifest. Kinda reassuring that it is not random corruption.

Alex

@Kerome said:
    I noticed it happened just after Alex’s last post, so perhaps there is something in the posting operation that causes this to manifest. Kinda reassuring that it is not random corruption.

They're often your threads. I hope you don't feel singled out and victimised.

(Somebody up there doesn't like you... :D )

AlexJeroenShoshin
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

I hope it’s not me that’s somehow bugging things - I’m using an IPad, dont think it should cause a problem 👀 wasn’t me guv, honest !

Bunks

@Alex said:
    I hope it’s not me that’s somehow bugging things - I’m using an IPad, dont think it should cause a problem 👀 wasn’t me guv, honest !

No worries, fella... we're actually none of us really sure what triggers this... But one thing's for sure, even if a member is "responsible" it's never deliberate...

Such is the transitory nature of all things....

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

I was probably talking nonsense anyway ! 😂

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's karma ...Karma works in mysterious ways... :)

Alex

Im now getting the nginx Bad Gateway error on the ‘A minor point about rebirth’ thread as well... is it my imagination or is this getting worse?

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

An apt message for a thread on rebirth, intruding on all of our theory's in saying that all that continues on is a programing error that ends up being pretty tough to address.

edited May 2020

It's definitely the last comment in each thread that's causing it to crash, but I cannot for the life of me determine a pattern. I could just bring them back by moving or deleting the last comment (ironically, once moved, the comment no longer causes a problem) but I'd rather leave them until I solve this so I have evidence to test against.

JeroenBunks
    edited May 2020

@Linc said:
    (ironically, once moved, the comment no longer causes a problem)

So if that’s the case, it can’t be the content of the comment that causes the problem. Perhaps it is the content metadata? There must be some other (badly formatted or corrupted) data associated with the comment which gets rewritten during the move operation, which causes the error. Perhaps that is a lead, and what is in the corrupted data might give a clue as to how it actually gets in there. My bet would be a buffer overrun or something of that type.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I can't open one of the threads

You lucky thing.

There are many things I can't do. Through intense and systemic practice I have learned to accept this.

meanwhile ...
    with another thread ...
    https://blog.sivanaspirit.com/spiritual-red-string/

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks @Linc <3

lobster

Wow @Linc.... Blessed is the man, whose plate is full but still finds room for cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes...

(It's weird though, how the "Word Association Game" thread is still going great guns...? ) 0_o

Don’t jinx it!

@Kerome said:
    Don’t jinx it!

That's why I whispered....

lobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I'm also getting Bad Gateway errors on threads that I've just participated in even after clearing my browser cache and relogging in.

edited June 2020

This is fixed.

WalkerJeroen

Thanks @Linc, that's brilliant, well done. :)

edited June 2020

In the process of doing this, somehow the mobile theme was changed (it was throwing errors for a while). I took my best guess at what it was set to before. Apologies that it's off-brand (wrong colors) but it's the best mobile experience I think we can provide at the moment. I literally cannot remember if this is what it was before.

howJeroen
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2020

lol wow, looks waaaay different. It works, though.

@Linc said:
    This is fixed.

That’s wonderful, this is great news!

I have noticed that the part of the sidebar that links to threads selected by topic has vanished, as has the topic drop-down menu in the new discussion form...

Ahh finally I can answer people on all my threads... I feel fulfilled.

federica
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I could not open any thread. When going to newbuddhist, just a blank background wallpaper appeared.

This was using my preferred and previously working 'Brave' browser.
    I am now using working Safari browser.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Back on Brave.
    Turned the shield off (it may be a new default setting when I recently upgraded). No shield but am now running Newbuddhist in Brave Browser 🥳

edited June 2020

Something has made one heck of a change on my mobile phone...the entire site look has completely altered. Anyone else lose colour and format?

@federica said:
    Something has made one heck of a change on my mobile phone...the entire site look has completely altered. Anyone else lose colour and format?

Yeah, I noticed that too...

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited August 2020

Alas, I am now getting the Bad Gateway screen of death on more than half a dozen recent threads, including the previously immune Word Association Game.

I can access those threads when I am signed out, but not when signed in.

Curious because everything seems to be fine for me including the Word Association Game... I was getting php server errors last night though they seem to have cleared up today.

My mistake... The errors are still there. The website crashes on my iPhone giving a “null value passed where there should be an instance of Vanilla\AddOn” somewhere in the php code. I’ve mailed Lincoln a crash log.

But it works fine on my iPad. Both running the latest os revisions.

Another one for Captain SuperAdmin, @Linc...!

Bunks

I am getting the screen below when I try go on to the site on my iPhone

Yes, that’s the same as my error, or at least it’s the same function. Hopefully on the crash report I sent you will be able to see the full call stack.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Same here it happened on my phone and then when I tried to log in on my laptop... It's all good now though...

Thanks @Linc 👍🙏🏻❤️

lobsterVastmind

Ah. Was going to post a screenshot identical to @Bunks, but the point is now moot....

Bunks