Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self Compassion

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited June 2020 in Meditation

Hi all - have been treating the heart to a little self compassion recently

Does anyone else have a similar practice they’d like to share?

adamcrossleyShoshinlobster

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Self compassion is very essential, for me it starts with acceptance.

BunksShoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Have not yet watched the video (intend to, tomorrow...) but I am reminded of a quote from one of Lama Surya Das's Trilogy books...
    "It all begins in our head, with what we tell ourselves."
    It's a commendable change of Mind-set.
    Yup. Will watch this tomorrow,,,

BunksSuraShine
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    Have not yet watched the video (intend to, tomorrow...) but I am reminded of a quote from one of Lama Surya Das's Trilogy books...
    "It all begins in our head, with what we tell ourselves."
    It's a commendable change of Mind-set.
    Yup. Will watch this tomorrow,,,

Good on you mate.....it's a nice little exercise.

The other thing I've been thinking about is whose voice it is in our heads that tells us we're not worthy or not good enough?

Does it come from an external source?

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

I have been practising Metta Meditation - a "softer" version of tonglen 3-4 times a day since we went into lockdown. It has helped immensely. My version is:

Close your eyes and place your hands over your heart. Take a few deep breaths then repeat the following several times either aloud or in your mind

• May I dwell in safety
    • May I be happy and healthy
    • May I be free from afflictions
    • May I know peace

After repeating this several times, focus on someone you know who you like or love (a parent, spouse, child or good friend). Again take a few deep breaths and while visualising them repeat

• May s/he dwell in safety
    • May s/he be happy and healthy
    • May s/he be free from afflictions
    • May s/he know peace

After repeating this several times, focus on someone you know who you have neutral feelings about, neither good nor bad (a coworker, the barista at the coffee shop, your bus driver etc). Again take a few deep breaths and while visualising them repeat

• May s/he know peace

After repeating this several times, focus on someone you know who you dislike. Again take a few deep breaths and while visualising them repeat

• May s/he know peace

After repeating this several times, finally focus on the world as a whole. Visualise the world map. Again take a few deep breaths and while visualising them repeat

• May they dwell in safety
    • May they be happy and healthy
    • May they be free from afflictions
    • May they know peace
    lobsterBunksShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2020

Bravo @Bunks

Good stuff. Excellent soothing/genuine voice.

@FeistyGibblets practice also good.

I use so many techniques like this. It is all about rewiring the tendency to suffer/indulge the suffering. So even though @Kerome means acceptance in a beneficial way, I do not accept as useful, suffering beyond the necessary ...

This is where assurance and self nurturing AND calling on help is useful. πŸ’—πŸ™πŸ½πŸŒˆ

The heart is a muscle and it can be relaxed. In fact all tightness is a bad loop of hardness ...

Here are my fav techniques:

It is all good ... when we choose good stuff ... βœ…

BunksJeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2020

I like to experiment with the phrases, change them around some to see what resonates most with my heart. For example starting with may we or may all beings evokes more of a response than may I or may others. Also I've added a line that speaks to me more than the traditional ones requesting suffering to be absent in people's lives.

May beings be confident, grounded and resilient in the face of difficulty and hardship.

lobsterShoshinBunksJeroen
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Let me also add I really like may any being... Its similar to all beings but I think it is more grounded in our everyday experience than may all beings. To me all beings seems like a kind of grand idea, not really something we might deal with on a day to day basis. Any being puts all beings in terms of the people you interact with everyday.

BunksJeroenfederica