Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

No but it did for my daughter @Bunks ..

We were having a family international group chat this morning and one of my son's in London mentioned that he had just read about it and my daughter who lives in Wellington confirmed it...I didn't feel a thing...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:...I didn't feel a thing...

Story of my life....!

BunksadamcrossleyShoshinWalker
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

Life is in the living. It’s not sufficient to understand how to live, or how to learn piano, or how to practice dharma, at some point you have to stop theorising and start doing. For months I’ve been procrastinating, or let’s say preparing, but I’m not behind, I’m right where I need to be, here and now, the only place there is. I’m ready to live, to be mindful, to do yoga, to be a pianist, to strip bare those things that don’t conform to my beliefs. Tomorrow I begin again.

ShoshinBunkslobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Lee82 said:
    Life is in the living. It’s not sufficient to understand how to live, or how to learn piano, or how to practice dharma, at some point you have to stop theorising and start doing. For months I’ve been procrastinating, or let’s say preparing, but I’m not behind, I’m right where I need to be, here and now, the only place there is. I’m ready to live, to be mindful, to do yoga, to be a pianist, to strip bare those things that don’t conform to my beliefs. Tomorrow I begin again.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Tomorrow I begin again.

Ah ha!
    Really iz plan ...

Bravo!

Every day we do the best we can. After all we are not The Buddha, Neo from The Matrix or the Marvellous T rump stake. We are just human. So ah ha!

Beginner mind. Humbling to realise we are human.

Be gentle with yourself ...

Every day a tadpole, never a frog, always a princess ...

BunksShoshinLee82Walker

Today NZ lived up to it's Maori name Aotearoa

...also with a drop in temperature, but still not cold cold...

WalkerBunks

These guys are about to head to the ISS on the first commercial flight

Has been postponed due to bad weather

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, we literally got all fired up about it here, yesterday, and what a damp squib that turned out to be!

Yep! Back on Sunday morning for me (Saturday night for you)

Hopefully they’ll go this time

After work this afternoon I walked along the beach, and came across lots of blue bottle jellyfish (well they are not really jellyfish, they are siphonophores.) which had been washed up during the stormy weather...

They are tiny but their sting packs a big punch ...
    I remember my first encounter many years ago when living in Oz... the sting causes very painful red welts that burn like hell...

BunksWalker
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Moving house today! Got the Dharma library and Buddharupa all packed up.

WalkerShoshinBunks

Ugh... Moving house.... Can be a nightmare! Hope everything is smooth in the transition!

Thank you @federica. We’re in the new place now and seem to have survived the process.

ShoshinWalkerlobster
    edited May 2020

(Is that a shaving bristle brush down on the left of the bottom shelf, @adamcrossley ...?)

ETA: I suspect you specifically use it for dusting...

adamcrossley

Haha yes it is! I saw a monk dusting his Buddha statue with a brush like this in a movie and thought, you know what I don’t do anymore... shave! So I have put my brush to better use 🙂

Upcycling = good thing!

adamcrossleylobster

Nice one @adamcrossley , glad it went ok mate

adamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

There I was walking with a friend wearing a hi grade mask and practically everyone thinks masks don't work? Ay caramba. Must protect the species from Covid-20 (not yet available).

Oh it did me good being out and about ... but will be back to extreme shielding and sharpening my machete to deal with any future corona-zombies ... 🧟‍♀️

Found a local supplier of organic herbs. Oh yeah!

Stay sane, safe and kind.

My planz are simple ...
    https://rebellion.earth/

BunksShoshinWalker

Well Mother Nature is starting to prepare us for the winter to come, stormy weather with cooler temperature...

People were swimming and sunbathing yesterday...

WalkerBunks

Is it coming....? Brewing...?

Or going...? Brewed poured and drunk..?

I made it home before Mother Nature poured...

Walker

Hand-shaking, back slapping air-kissing idiots a-plenty on Saturday, the first day our so-called 'Royal Market' opened up completely, with stalls selling non-essential goods... birdfeed, household tools and vaping crap, plus the ubiquitous mobile phone cases... I actually never really liked normal, me... Oi...!

Bunks

In case anyone is interested, this film is streaming for free at present...

https://www.myyearoflivingmindfully.com/

federicaShoshin

@federica, we need a sticker for “I approve of your disapproval”.

Walker

...how about...
    😜

Walkeradamcrossley

@Bunks said:
    In case anyone is interested, this film is streaming for free at present...

https://www.myyearoflivingmindfully.com/

Thanks for the link @Bunks

Bunks

They're so cute!

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Super cute!

They kind of fit into some grey area between wild and domesticated, where they choose to be born, live and die within areas inhabited by enough people to discourage any of their usual natural predators.
    Mom's main job this day seemed to be trying to teach her kids that not everybody who happened to be walking by, was a playmate.

Bunks

I watched the documentary in the link you posted last night @Bunks ...It was interesting to see how she noticed the change in her subjective experience over time...and rightly pointing out that mindfulness is not a cure, instead one just becomes more aware of the causes of the discomfort one feels, and in her case, the practice helps her to let go of the emotional stories that often accompany the events...be they physical or mental...I forwarded the documentary on to some of my work colleagues, family and Dharma friends... Many thanks @Bunks <3

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Are we still allowed to press the Hugs button with the social distancing rules?

• in a moment of carelessness, fractured a bone in my foot. Now it is one month in a cast, two more weeks in a special boot, then FREEDOM!
    Oh, Bunks. The earth always moves for me. Just not always as I expected.
    Hope everyone is safe in NZ and elsewhere.

Peace to all

WalkerBunksJeroen
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Hope you have a speedy recovery @Lionduck.

lobsterJeroen

@Lionduck said:
    in a moment of carelessness, fractured a bone in my foot. Now it is one month in a cast, two more weeks in a special boot, then FREEDOM!
    Oh, Bunks. The earth always moves for me. Just not always as I expected.
    Hope everyone is safe in NZ and elsewhere.

Peace to all

Take care @Lionduck <3

Lionduck

Perhaps this little fella liked a drink in his past life.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-03/quoll-caught-breaking-into-bottle-shop/12316334

WalkerShoshinLionduck

What a local came across the other day...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

A couple of years ago many Japanese fishermen were saying that their fishing season was a disaster because of the swarms of jellyfish that were filling up their fishing nets to the bursting point. I have seen videos of many live ones that could give a Vox wagon a run for its money.

Just image accidentally swimming into one, it would be shocking in more ways than one ;)

A beautiful winter's day...Around 15C...

Beauty being in the eyes of the beholder...
    Some parts of the South Island are covered in snow...

BunksWalker

"Seeking but not finding the house builder,
    I hurried through the round of many births:
    Painful is birth ever and again.

O house builder, you have been seen;
    You shall not build the house again.
    Your rafters have been broken up,
    Your ridgepole is demolished too.

My mind has now attained the unformed Nibbâna
    And reached the end of every sort of craving

Walkeradamcrossley
    edited June 2020

Random question:

Why do British houses have a washing machine / dryer in the kitchen?

It's not a joke either....there's no punch line.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Mrs. Walker and I had a washer and dryer in the kitchen in our former house. Not usual at all in Canada. Built in the late 40's, it was a tiny bungalow, about 650 sq ft. No basement either, it was a crawlspace foundation.

edited June 2020

In many parts of the US and Europe washing machines are placed in the bathroom or separate utility rooms but in most British homes they are generally found in the kitchen. This is due to the fact most bathrooms could not fit a washing machine and there are no electrical sockets in the bathroom in the UK

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/kirstie-allsopp-washing-machine-kitchen-disgusting-people-twitter-homes-a7836781.html

@Bunks said:
    Random question:

Why do British houses have a washing machine / dryer in the kitchen?

It's not a joke either....there's no punch line.

The UK has the smallest square meterage for houses than any other country in Europe. I am given to understand that Cesar Millan came to the UK to film a series of "The Dog Whisperer" and gave up by the 3rd programme because he couldn't cope with 2 things: One, was the objection from owners of the way he treated their dogs (totally justified of them, in my opinion) but secondly, because he just couldn't cope with the cramped conditions, which he apparently stated inhibited his work.
    We actually have tiny spaces here, @Bunks, and our homes are sadly not equipped to house separate utility rooms. Any home with separate facilities is deemed luxurious, and to have a separate laundry room is deemed a privilege. Look, a sitting room 12' x 15' is considered 'spacious'.

For example, this is pretty standard accommodation...

https://www.purplebricks.co.uk/property-for-sale/3-bedroom-semi-detached-house-ollerton-newark-939419

Walker

Yep, makes sense @federica - I was watching one of my favourite shows (UK version of Come Dines with Me) and I noticed the guy cooking and could see a washing machine / dryer behind him.

Reminded me of the council house I lived in in London all those years ago......washer / dryer in the kitchen too.

federica

My cat peed on my meditation cushion 🤦‍♂️

Bunks

Count your blessings it wasn't that well-known nursery rhyme...

Om-pee Dump-pee....

adamcrossleyBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Goop also sells a “Psychic Vampire Repellent”, made from “sonically tuned water” and “moonlight” which promises to protect you from “psychic attack and emotional harm”.

I am extremely gullible ... and extremely susceptible to trying to turn trolls and vampires into dharma protectors ... but somehow I feel this may be a scam. Stay vigilant friends. 🤔

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran