Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist quotes

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Method is an impediment to love,
    a postponement of freedom, and an insult to peace.
    Use no method, just identify as That.

— H. W. L. Poonja

Nirvana
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Understanding is love"

~Thich Nhat Hanh~ (From "Peace Is Every Step")

BunksadamcrossleyNirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2020

Bless you! Use a hanky...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

There is pleasure, and there is bliss. Forego the first to gain the second.

— The Dhammapada

BunkspersonNirvana
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

By learning to remain balanced in the face of everything experienced inside, one develops detachment towards all that one encounters in external situations as well. However, this detachment is not escapism or indifference to the problems of the world.
    Goenka

ShoshinBunkspersonDavid

To live a life rich in inner enjoyment, to be rich deep within is the purpose of life. One does not own the birds in the sky, but they contribute to your inner richness. What you need is a greater internal aesthetic sense. On the outside there is nothing... but still, my people are intensely happy. Something inner is happening.

— Osho

adamcrossley

Just be Quiet, and make no effort.

— H. W. L. Poonja

Vedanta, the end of knowledge, is to forget all, even words.
    Carrying around books is like a donkey carrying sutras;
    So many saints are illiterate.
    As the fire in a painting will not cook your tea,
    So intellectual understanding is not enough.
    Intellectual understanding is like reading a menu,
    True experience is eating the food.
    All understanding is dried-out boredom,
    Compared to the taste of That!

— H. W. L. Poonja

JeffreyNirvana

I hope you don’t mind me adding a few non-Buddhist quotes @bunks.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I hope you don’t mind me adding a few non-Buddhist quotes @bunks.

All good @Kerome - I do it myself occasionally.

I probably should call the thread "Buddhist type quotes" :awesome:

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

How about "Buddhist and other quotes which resonate "...? I can change it if you wish. Or not, as the case may be...

@federica said:
    How about "Buddhist and other quotes which resonate "...? I can change it if you wish. Or not, as the case may be...

Thanks fede but happy to leave as is...

• "I tell you this: There is no Buddha, no Dharma, no training and no realization. What are you so hotly chasing? Putting a head on top of your head, you blind fools? Your head is right where it should be. What are you lacking?"

Master Linji Yixuan (Rinzai Gigen)

adamcrossleylobster

@Bunks said:

@federica said:

Thanks fede but happy to leave as is...

Cool! :)

Bunks

When the Buddha says ‘right’ he means ‘balanced’, the word samyanc means balanced. It is an expression of the middle way.

— Osho

Shoshinperson

Right.

BunkspersonWalkerJeroen
    edited June 2020

@Kerome said:
    When the Buddha says ‘right’ he means ‘balanced’, the word samyanc means balanced. It is an expression of the middle way.

— Osho

It depends who you ask - most Theravadan practitioners will define it as "right" or "correct". In Pali the word is "samma".

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    "I tell you this: There is no Buddha, no Dharma, no training and no realization. What are you so hotly chasing? Putting a head on top of your head, you blind fools? Your head is right where it should be. What are you lacking?"

I think I lost my head ... :3

Kotishka

Anything that you get is not your Self and anything that you can lose is not your Self either, and so it is better off being lost. Self cannot be lost because it is what you are.

— H. W. L. Poonja

Modern art is childish. Picasso once said, the world does not make sense. But that is the very reason why art should. Art should allow you to make sense of the world.

— Osho

@Kerome said:
    Modern art is childish. Picasso once said, the world does not make sense. But that is the very reason why art should. Art should allow you to make sense of the world.

— Osho

How?
    I have no idea what he means by this.
    I'd like to know what he thinks he means.

What do YOU think he means?

I think it’s by expressing the hidden currents of the world. If you look at say Van Gogh’s sunflowers, it teaches you a new way to look at sunflowers, and even a new way of looking at the world. Turner’s use of impressionism creates an image in your minds eye that is more beautiful than what’s on the canvas, drawing the onlooker into the process of creation.

The quote resonated with me as much because of what it said about modern art as anything else. I just saw a Netflix docu on Stanislaw Szukalski, and he said art should always have a message. A pregnant statement I think because where is the message in a Jackson Pollock or Piet Mondriaan?

When one remains without thinking one understands another through the universal language of silence.

— Ramana Maharshi

ShoshinBunksadamcrossleyKotishka

Mind is the forerunner of all (evil) conditions.
    Mind is their chief, and they are mind-made.
    If, with an impure mind, one speaks or acts,
    Then suffering follows one
    Even as the cart wheel follows the hoof of the ox.

Mind is the forerunner of all (good) conditions.
    Mind is their chief, and they are mind-made.
    If, with a pure mind, one speaks or acts,
    Then happiness follows one
    Like a never-departing shadow.

— The Dhammapada

WalkerBunksNirvana

Q: It seems that true love is not to receive anything.

A: True love is to give everything you have
    Without a thought of receiving anything in exchange.

— H. W. L. Poonja

edited June 2020

I'm afraid I disagree. Servitude with no moral or emotional reward can become robotic and lifeless. There is no worse thing than being unappreciated. All humans, regardless, are nourished by being appreciated, understood and loved. The less it is there, the more, in our suffering, we crave.

Life is not about being a doormat.

It's wonderful to give of oneself 100% and not seek reward. But leather cracks, if not polished, metal tarnishes if not buffed, and flowers die if not watered.

True love, is to be truly loved in return.
    The more purely you are loved, the easier it is to purely love in return.

But this?

True love is to give everything you have
    Without a thought of receiving anything in exchange.

This is nonsense.

I think the sentiment is more about the ‘thought’ of exchange... it is a beautiful thing to be able to give without a thought of reward or trade. It reminds me of when I was young, when my mother explained to me that when we went to visit a friends birthday party that we were going to buy a 10 guilder present because all that’s what the mothers had all agreed.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

There I was mettaing Mahayana style when ...
    The nonsense made sense
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agape

... and now back to the required quota o:)

adamcrossleyNirvana
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Little thoughts, subtle thoughts,
    when followed, stir up the heart.
    Not comprehending the thoughts of the heart,
    one runs here & there,
    the mind out of control.
    But comprehending the thoughts of the heart,
    one who is ardent, mindful,
    restrains them.
    When, followed, they stir up the heart,
    one awakened
    lets them go without trace.
    —Meghiya Sutta
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.4.01.than.html

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Everything that is taken as a self;
    Everything that is taken as other:
    These are simply changing forms of consciousness.

Vasubandhu

adamcrossleyShoshinNirvana
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

―Albert Einstein

lobster

If you want to enter the gate of Zen....Do not give rise to thinking

BunksNirvana

I had gone in search for truth; truth is found but I am no more.

— Kabir

• GuiGui Veteran

"If you believe there is a thing
    called mind, it is just a thought.
    If you believe there is no thing
    called mind, it’s just another thought.
    Your natural state,
    free of any kind of thought about it—
    that is buddha nature.
    In ordinary sentient beings,
    this natural state
    is carried away by thinking,
    caught up in thought.
    Involvement in thinking
    is like a heavy chain that weighs you down.
    Now it is time to be free from that chain.
    The moment you shatter the chain of thinking,
    you are free from the three realms of samsara.
    In this entire world,
    there is nothing superior to
    or more precious than knowing
    how to break this chain.
    Even if you were to scan the entire world,
    or piece by piece put it through a sieve
    in an attempt to find something more precious,
    you’d come up with nothing.
    None of the buddhas of the past,
    present and future have discovered
    an instruction that is more profound
    or more direct in attaining enlightenment.
    To ask for teachings on the nature of mind
    means to understand
    how to recognize mind nature."
    ~ H. E. Kyabje Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, As it is , Volume 1 Chapter 4- Existence & Nonexistence (Pages 75~76 ) Translated by Erik Pema Kunsang

JeffreyBunksperson

"Wu wei is the art of sailing not rowing"

~Alan Watts~

BunksWalkeradamcrossleylobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

“You are your own teacher. Looking for teachers can’t solve your own doubts. Investigate yourself to find the truth - inside, not outside. Knowing yourself is most important.”
    Ajahn Chah

[damn - I am being taught by an idiot] 🤪

JeroenShoshinWalkerKotishka

@lobster said:
    “You are your own teacher. Looking for teachers can’t solve your own doubts. Investigate yourself to find the truth - inside, not outside. Knowing yourself is most important.”
    Ajahn Chah

[damn - I am being taught by an idiot] 🤪

...And being watched by another.;)

lobster

Ajahn Chah is very good, insightful. Sometimes he can be rather renunciate, but I think it comes with being a Thai Forest monk, it’s something to be aware of.

BunkslobsterKotishka

@Kerome said:
    Ajahn Chah is very good, insightful. Sometimes he can be rather renunciate, but I think it comes with being a Thai Forest monk, it’s something to be aware of.

Don't take my word for it, but it's probably because - he IS a renunciate....

Bunks
    edited July 2020

“Only you can know, yourself. For there are no words to describe it. You have to come to terms with your life.”

― Robert Adams, Silence Of The Heart

Bunks
    edited July 2020

Deep sleep is the closest thing to Self-realiza­tion there is. Do you ever wonder why, when you come out of deep sleep you say, "I feel good"? There is no one who comes out of deep sleep who feels bad. You may have a bad dream. But I mean when you are really in deep sleep and you wake up, if you catch yourself, you'll see you feel good. You feel great. You feel wonderful. It's only when you start to think, that the feeling changes. Check it out for yourself. Why? Because deep sleep is really bliss. Yet it is unconscious bliss. Liberation is conscious bliss.

— Robert Adams, Silence of the Heart

lobster
  • Deep sleep is the closest thing to Self-realiza­tion there is.

Que? Sounds like twaddle to me. Being unconscious is the opposite of self realisation. Did I go wrong again? Tsk, tsk.

meanwhile ...

Let him radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.

Standing, walking, sitting or reclining, as long as he is awake, let him develop this mindfulness. This, they say, is 'Noble Living' here.

Buddha

@lobster said:

Deep sleep is the closest thing to Self-realiza­tion there is.

Que? Sounds like twaddle to me. Being unconscious is the opposite of self realisation. Did I go wrong again? Tsk, tsk.

meanwhile ...

Let him radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.

Standing, walking, sitting or reclining, as long as he is awake, let him develop this mindfulness. This, they say, is 'Noble Living' here.

Buddha

Yeah, I suspect Robert Adams wasn't expounding the Dhamma there....

lobster
    edited August 2020

@lobster said:

Its based on the movement of the self to the core of being, apparently in deep sleep we do this. Osho would talk about this as well. You do it unconsciously, while the goal is to do it consciously. But it’s the reason why when you return from sleep there is a moment of clear connection to the core of being.

Yeah it’s not exactly dhamma... perhaps I shouldn’t have quoted. But I thought it was an interesting observation on the nature of sleep.

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:

Its based on the movement of the self to the core of being, apparently in deep sleep we do this. Osho would talk about this as well. You do it unconsciously, while the goal is to do it consciously. But it’s the reason why when you return from sleep there is a moment of clear connection to the core of being.

Yeah it’s not exactly dhamma... perhaps I shouldn’t have quoted. But I thought it was an interesting observation on the nature of sleep.

All good @Kerome - any inspiring quotes welcome.

@Kerome said:
    Deep sleep is the closest thing to Self-realiza­tion there is. Do you ever wonder why, when you come out of deep sleep you say, "I feel good"? There is no one who comes out of deep sleep who feels bad....when you are really in deep sleep and you wake up, if you catch yourself, you'll see you feel good. You feel great. You feel wonderful. ...
    — Robert Adams, Silence of the Heart

Bullshit. I awoke out of a deep sleep this morning, and my immediate instinctive thought was "Fuck, I've overslept!" 🛌🤦

BunkslobsterJeroen

The ocean does not forget that it is a wave,
    but the wave forgets that it is an ocean.
    This is "why" there is manifestation;
    for sake of play this forgetfulness arises.
    The world is only for celebration.
    Manifestation is just a cosmic drama to be enjoyed.
    There is only play and it is not existent,
    and continues because whatever you think so it becomes.

— H. W. L. Poonja

Nirvana

In the beginning we hurry to go forward, hurry to go back, and hurry to stop.

We keep practicing until we reach the point where it seems going forward is not it, going back is not it, and stopping is not it either!

This is when it is finished.

Ajahn Chah

Shoshinlobster
  • Ajahn Chah Chah Chah ... <3

Let's dunce dance

No not that ...

This ...

ShoshinBunks