Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chant want...

SystemSystem Moderator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Major Project - New revision of chanting guide.

Comments

• I actually had some questions regarding which chants to use, particularly when you are new into chanting and morning prayer in Buddhism. I practice meditation everyday and would like to incorporate this into my routine to help me focus on the path... Good day :)

AlexBunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Perhaps telling us what type of Buddhism or meditation you practice might better tailor peoples suggestions for you.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@コチシカ said:
    I actually had some questions regarding which chants to use, particularly when you are new into chanting and morning prayer in Buddhism. I practice meditation everyday and would like to incorporate this into my routine to help me focus on the path... Good day :)

Hi there - welcome!

Pure Land chanting:

Theravadan Buddhism chanting:

Tibetan chanting (Om Mane Padme Hum):

Enjoy!

lobsterAlexKotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I suggest mantra + prostration before your altar/shrine ...
    https://drukpachoegon.org/prostration-mantra

Wot no shrine ... ? ... well that is another focus ...

• Hello everyone!

Thank you all for your replies!

@how - I have to say I'm a bit confused regarding "which" type Buddhism I practice or want to practice. I am currently receiving instruction following the method of Trungpa Rinpoche (Shambhala lineage), but feel quite attracted towards Theravada. I prefer not to use labels to avoid making any mistakes as I consider myself a beginner.

I understand both Theravada and Shambhala (Vajrayana) are quite different and at some point in the path I will need to make a decision...or not... Maybe it will be too late! Haha :)

My first "real" contact with Buddhism was at a Shambhala centre in October last year!

@Bunks @lobster @Alex - So much material! Thank you! I will be having a look at it tomorrow.

I have a small shrine btw :)

May all beings be happy !

AlexBunkslobster
  • So much material here @Alex . Maybe you know -or anyone else ;) - where maybe I could find something similar but with the texts in Pali script as well?

Have a great day :)

@コチシカ said:

So much material here @Alex . Maybe you know -or anyone else ;) - where maybe I could find something similar but with the texts in Pali script as well?

Have a great day :)

Those scripts are in Pali aren’t they?

Alex
  • @Bunks

Hi! I meant the original script, not the transcription into our alphabet. No worries, but I was thinking on writing some of these vows using the original script.

Thanks again! :)

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

May all beings be happy!

Especially me! ;)

Hey that is a great mantra/reminder/puja/intention. o:)

Simple English words or phrases can be helpful. For example:

• Peace
    • Pizza [sorry my mistake, that is Italian]
    • Fruit (this has many levels of meaning) and is similar to 'an apple a day ...'
    • May all beings be happy!
    • Breathing!
    • Awake!

etc ...

Here to help <3
    [another mantra ...]

Bunks

@コチシカ said:
    @Bunks

Hi! I meant the original script, not the transcription into our alphabet. No worries, but I was thinking on writing some of these vows using the original script.

Thanks again! :)

Oh! My apologies. I understand

lobsterKotishka
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited June 2020

@lobster said:

May all beings be happy!

Especially me! ;)

Hey that is a great mantra/reminder/puja/intention. o:)

Simple English words or phrases can be helpful. For example:

• Peace
    • Pizza [sorry my mistake, that is Italian]
    • Fruit (this has many levels of meaning) and is similar to 'an apple a day ...'
    • May all beings be happy!
    • Breathing!
    • Awake!

etc ...

Here to help <3
    [another mantra ...]

I actually got this from Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu and Ajahn Sona, my favourite 'online' Theravada teachers. Without forgetting Ajahn Brahm <3 I have decided to open up with the classic -Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammāsambuddhassā- and close with -May all beings be happy-. Maybe I need an encore as well... :chuffed:

Let's see how it develops... :confused:

Bunkslobster
  • Rob_VRob_V North Carolina Explorer

My chant (or recitation if I don't know the meter) for what it's worth:

Buddhābhivādanā
    (Homage to the Buddha)

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā
    Sambuddhassa (x3)

(Homage to Him. The Blessed One.
    The Exalted One. The Fully Enlightened One.)

Ti-Saraṇ
    (The Three Refuges)

Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    (I go to the Buddha as my refuge)
    Dhammam saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    (I go to the Dhamma as my refuge)
    Saṅghaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    (I go to the Sangha as my refuge)
    Dutiyampi Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    (For the second time...)
    Dutiyampi Dhammam saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    Dutiyampi Saṅghaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    (For the third time...)
    Tatiyampi Buddhaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    Tatiyampi Dhammam saraṇaṃ gacchāmi
    Tatiyampi Saṅghaṃ saraṇaṃ gacchāmi

Pañca Sila
    (The Five Precepts)
    Pānātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi
    (I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.)
    Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi
    (I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from taking things not given.)
    Kāmesu micchācārā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ
    samādiyāmi
    (I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from sexual misconduct.)
    Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi
    (I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from false speech.)
    Surā-meraya-majja-pamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī
    sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi
    (I undertake to observe the precept to abstain
    from liquor causing intoxication and heedlessness.)

An Auspicious Day
    Atītaṃ nānvāgameyya
    Nappaṭikaṅkhe anāgataṃ
    Yad'atītam-pahīnantaṃ
    Appattañca anāgataṃ

He would not range after the past,
    Nor wonder about the future.
    What is past has been left behind,
    The future is as yet unreached.

Paccuppannañca yo dhammaṃ
    Tatha tatha vipassati
    Asaṃhiraṃ asaṅkuppaṃ
    Taṃ viddhā manubrūhaye

Whatever phenomenon is present,
    he clearly sees right there, right there.
    Unvanquished, unshaken,
    That is how he develops the mind.

Ajjeva kiccam-ātappaṃ
    Ko jaññā maraṇaṃ suve
    Na hi no saṅgarantena
    Mahāsenena maccunā

Doing his duty ardently, today,
    For — who knows? — tomorrow death may come.
    There is no bargaining
    With Death & his mighty horde.

Evaṃ vihārim-ātāpiṃ
    Aho-rattam-atanditaṃ
    Taṃ ve bhaddeka-ratto'ti
    Santo ācikkhate munīti.

Whoever lives thus ardently,
    relentlessly both day & night,
    has truly had an auspicious day:
    So says the Peaceful Sage.

Metta Sutta
    (The Discourse on Loving-Kindness)
    1. Karaṇīyamattha-kusalena
    Yantaṃ santaṃ padaṃ abhisamecca
    Sakko ujū ca sūjū ca
    Suvaco cassa mudu anatimānī
    (1. Thise who are skilled in what is good and who wish to attain that state of calm
    Should act thus: they should be able, upright, obedient, gentle and humble,)
    2. Santussako ca subharo ca
    Appakicco ca sallahukavutti
    Santindriyo ca nipako ca
    Appagabbho kulesu ananugiddho
    (2. contented, easily supportable with few duties, of right livelihood, controlled in senses, discreet, not imprudent, not to be greedily attached to families.)
    3. Na ca khuddaṃ samācare kiñci
    Yena viññū pare upavadeyyum
    Sukhino vā khemino hontu!
    Sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā!
    (3. They should not commit any slight wrong such that other wise ones might censure them. They should think: May all beings be happy and secure; May their hearts be happy!)
    4. Ye keci pānabhūtatthi
    Tasā vā thāvarā vā anavasesā
    Dīghā vā ye mahantā vā
    Majjhimā rassakānukathūlā
    5. Diṭṭhā vā ye va addiṭṭhā
    Ye ca dūre vasanti avidūre
    Bhūtā vā sambhavesī vā
    Sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā
    (4-5. Whatever living beings there are —
    feeble or strong, long, stout or medium, short, small or large, seen or unseen, those dwelling far or near, those who are born and those who are to be born, may all beings, without exception, be happy-hearted!)
    6. Na paro paraṃ nikubbetha
    Nātimaññetha katthaci naṃ kañci
    Byārosanā paṭighasaññā
    Nāññamaññassa dukkhamiccheyya
    (6. Let no one deceive another, nor despise any person whatever in any place, either in anger or in ill will, let one not wish any harm to another.
    7. Mātā yathā niyaṃ puttaṃ
    Āyusā ekaputtamanurakkhe
    Evam pi sabbabhūtesu
    Mānasaṃ bhāvaye aparimāṇaṃ
    (7. Just as a mother would protect her only child, even at the risk of her own life, so let them cultivate a boundless heart towards all beings.)
    8. Mettañ ca sabbalokasmiṃ
    Mānasaṃ bhāvaye aparimāṇaṃ
    Uddhaṃ adho ca tiriyañ ca
    Asambādhaṃ averaṃ asapattaṃ
    (8. Let their heart of boundless love pervade the whole world above, below and across; with no obstruction, no hatred and no enmity.)
    9. Tiṭṭhaṃ caraṃ nissinno vā
    Sayano vā yāva tassa vigatamiddho
    Etaṃ satiṃ adhiṭṭheyya
    Brahmametaṃ vihāraṃ idhamāhu
    (9. Whether they stand, walk, sit or lie down; as long as they are awake they should develop this mindfulness. This, they say, is the Divine Abiding)
    10. Diṭṭhiñ ca anupagamma sīlavā
    Dassanena sampanno
    Kamesu vineyya gedhaṃ
    Na hi jātu gabbhaseyyaṃ punaretī ti
    10. Not falling into views, being virtuous and endowed with insight, they give up attachment to sense-desires. Truly, they do not come again for conception into a womb.

BunksKotishka
  • Btw @Bunks, before I was the one who got confused... I now understand why I couldn't find any texts using the Pali script. It simply doesn't exist. Quoting Ajahn Punnadhammo:

"Pali originated as an oral language and does not have an alphabet of its own. In Thailand the scriptures are written in Siamese script, in Sri Lanka in Sinhalese script, and so on In the West, Pali is written in Roman script with the addition of diacritical marks."

(THE BUDDHIST COSMOS: A Comprehensive Survey of the Early Buddhist Worldview; according to Theravāda and Sarvāstivāda sources, 2018)

Sorry for the confusion, haha! :)

WalkerBunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I remember Stephen Batchelor mentioning that in Confession of a Buddhist Atheist as well.

@コチシカ said:
    Btw @Bunks, before I was the one who got confused... I now understand why I couldn't find any texts using the Pali script. It simply doesn't exist. Quoting Ajahn Punnadhammo:

"Pali originated as an oral language and does not have an alphabet of its own. In Thailand the scriptures are written in Siamese script, in Sri Lanka in Sinhalese script, and so on In the West, Pali is written in Roman script with the addition of diacritical marks."

(THE BUDDHIST COSMOS: A Comprehensive Survey of the Early Buddhist Worldview; according to Theravāda and Sarvāstivāda sources, 2018)

Sorry for the confusion, haha! :)

All good @コチシカ - my understanding is that Pali actually just translates as "text". It's not a language. But I am no expert....

• And so we dally forth. =)=)
    As in so much that is written today, the original teachings of the Buddha were oral. Today the writings and analysis are countless in a great many languages and scripts. Often, the original written scripts were lost or destroyed. Thus is is "interesting" for the scholars seeking to trace the sources back to their original (Buddhist or othewise).
    But we thrive on the ebb and flow of information through time and cultures.

lobsterKotishka
  • :pleased:

Good night :)

Shoshin
  • Pleasant dreams - pleasant awakening

Kotishka
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@how said:
    Perhaps telling us what type of Buddhism or meditation you practice might better tailor peoples suggestions for you.

Not always so.
    I lean far more towards Theravada, but favour Tibetan chants, and incorporate Mantras into my Meditation times...

• Dharani are longer mantra, usually for specific ends
    https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/chogyal-pakpa-lodro-gyaltsen/parnashavari-dharani

Lord Bodhi Jesus Christ have Mercy on me a sinner ... wait a minute, I haz alibi ...
    I iz so bad ... ah ha ... I iz sinner! Mercy me. O.o