Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Typing instead of Hand writing Sutras

Can you get benefit from typing a sutra but not writing it by hand. Can you get benefit even if you don't understand the sutra. I plan on typing every chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

Shoshinadamcrossley

Comments

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

Okay. Thanks.

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

Is this a practice for merit? Is this typing a meditation practice?

Is the benefit you ask about concerning merit or memorization or understanding or ???

Do you know how you best retain and process information?

Is it auditory by hearing you speak of it?
    Is it tactile by some accompanying physicality?
    Is it visual through the seeing of the ideas?
    If it's a combination, does one avenue still dominate?

Knowing and utilizing the avenue of learning that works best for you for this job, might be a way to proceed beyond a mere mimicry of read words.

As a new student to my first monastery, I was asked upon arriving to commit to memory in any free time that I had outside of scheduled events, 4 of their main sutras and a teacher's ancestral lineage going back to Shakyamuni Buddha.

While I initially saw this as a daunting and somewhat onerous task, the work of that memorization served to provide an unexpected overlay of Dharmic momentum to my practice, where those sutra's and life up to this day, still offer some illumination for one and other.

I am not suggesting you memorize anything.
    Just that you can expect out of it, what you put into it.

lobsterShoshinadamcrossleyKotishka
  • It is always the heart that matters.

lobsteradamcrossleyAlex
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@how said:
    Is this a practice for merit? Is this typing a meditation practice?

Is the benefit you ask about concerning merit or memorization or understanding or ???

Do you know how you best retain and process information?

Is it auditory by hearing you speak of it?
    Is it tactile by some accompanying physicality?
    Is it visual through the seeing of the ideas?
    If it's a combination, does one avenue still dominate?

Knowing and utilizing the avenue of learning that works best for you for this job, might be a way to proceed beyond a mere mimicry of read words.

As a new student to my first monastery, I was asked upon arriving to commit to memory in any free time that I had outside of scheduled events, 4 of their main sutras and a teacher's ancestral lineage going back to Shakyamuni Buddha.

While I initially saw this as a daunting and somewhat onerous task, the work of that memorization served to provide an unexpected overlay of Dharmic momentum to my practice, where those sutra's and life up to this day, still offer some illumination for one and other.

I was only trying to gain merit. I don't have the capacity to understand the Lotus Sutra. Only praying will allow me to understand the Lotus Sutra.

Bunksadamcrossley
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Omar067 said:
    I was only trying to gain merit. I don't have the capacity to understand the Lotus Sutra. Only praying will allow me to understand the Lotus Sutra.

It seems a perfectly beautiful practice.

Bunksadamcrossley
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited June 2020

Wise words.