Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Drunken meditation...

Warm greetings to everyone. :) I'm wondering if anyone can field one or both of these questions. First, I know that I'm not alone in dealing with circulation issues in my legs and feet during meditation. What I'd like to know is if there is a point at which one can cause lasting damage by ignoring it. While I'm aware of the sensation, at some point in meditation I could easily ignore the discomfort until it ceases becoming discomfort and just sort of 'is'. At that point, it is no longer even a distraction and I could continue meditating for....well, I don't know because I've always stopped out of caution. I'd rather explore longer meditation sessions if I could be even fairly secure that I'm not doing permanent damage.

Second, I am undergoing regular medical treatments (at this point they are twice a week) in which I am monitored for two hours after receiving the treatment because of side effects. The treatment has been extremely effective for me, but the side effects include severe dissociation and...well, overall I feel extraordinarily drunk – more so than I have ever felt, and I have extensive experience feeling drunk as a younger yagr. Anywho, there is a medical necessity for this treatment so I'm not beating myself up for the whole taking of intoxicants but, I am wondering if I am making good use of the time trying to practice breathing meditation while sequestered for two hours in the doctor's office. It's certainly more difficult, to be sure – but it lessens the dissociation and feelings of drunkedness significantly. So, is meditating while impaired counter-indicated if the 'impaired' can't be helped?

Thank you and I hope everyone is doing well. :)

ShoshinKotishkalobsterDavid

Comments

• yagryagr Veteran

Thank you both for your help. :)

@how said:
    Hello yagr

If you are suffering circulation difficulties because of your choice of a meditation posture then you should either get that position checked by a qualified meditation teacher

Sounds like a plan - as soon as the quarantine ends then. Thanks.

or you should try another position that doesn't cause those difficulties. (Higher >cushions, better positioning on those cushions, thicker zabuton, Burmese, seiza, >bench, thinner clothing, Chair?)

...thinner clothing? You mean we're supposed to be dressed?? j/k I do use the Burmese position but nevertheless, anything beyond thirty minutes and it usually becomes an issue. But right - back to getting my position checked by a qualified meditation teacher.

I also think that if you set up a specific time everyday for when you will formally meditate then you should just meditate then regardless of whether you happen to be mad/ sad/ sick/ healthy/happy/ depressed/ sleepy/ stimulated/ drunk or alert because it all has something to teach you when you are prepared to simply face it as it is.

>

Absolutely - and this I do, in the mornings. I've just been adding another session in during those appointments.

personShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I always think @yagr must be dead ...
    How does he survive the incredible Mara death duck ... eh dukha? ;)

Resilience and our blessings and prayers <3
    Never give up, never surrender <3

Fuck Mara/Death in the Ass, Use Trump Headed dildo/vajra if required ...
    (here to help - Tantra iz severe/wrathful) o:)

Yet the One Who Has Qualities, Marks, and Splendor
    Keeps his mind unshaken, like Mount Meru.
    He sees all phenomena as illusion,
    Like a dream, and like clouds.
    Since he sees them in this manner that accords with the Dharma,
    He meditates steadfastly, established in the Dharma.
    Whoever thinks of “me” and “mine”
    And clings to objects and the body,
    Should be afraid and terrified,
    Since they are in the clutches of ignorance.
    The Daughters and Suns of the Śākyas realize the essential truth
    That all phenomena arise in dependence and lack reality.
    With a mind like the Sky, he is just fine,
    Unperturbed by the spectacle of the army of rogues.

https://buddhaweekly.com/transforming-demons-get-thee-behind-me-mara-how-buddhism-handles-demons-from-mindfulness-meditation-to-transformation-but-no-exorcisms/

yagr
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2020

@yagr said:
    Warm greetings to everyone. :) I'm wondering if anyone can field one or both of these questions. First, I know that I'm not alone in dealing with circulation issues in my legs and feet during meditation. What I'd like to know is if there is a point at which one can cause lasting damage by ignoring it. While I'm aware of the sensation, at some point in meditation I could easily ignore the discomfort until it ceases becoming discomfort and just sort of 'is'. At that point, it is no longer even a distraction and I could continue meditating for....well, I don't know because I've always stopped out of caution. I'd rather explore longer meditation sessions if I could be even fairly secure that I'm not doing permanent damage.

Warm greetings to you as well. It's good to see you posting.

@How said it better than I could but I wanted to add that my posture is a kind of kneeling with my butt parked on my heels except my cushion goes between them. It really helps with the joints and takes the self made physical distraction away. Any mudras I choose to use work well with wrists on thighs and feels very natural.

Second, I am undergoing regular medical treatments (at this point they are twice a week) in which I am monitored for two hours after receiving the treatment because of side effects. The treatment has been extremely effective for me, but the side effects include severe dissociation and...well, overall I feel extraordinarily drunk – more so than I have ever felt, and I have extensive experience feeling drunk as a younger yagr. Anywho, there is a medical necessity for this treatment so I'm not beating myself up for the whole taking of intoxicants but, I am wondering if I am making good use of the time trying to practice breathing meditation while sequestered for two hours in the doctor's office. It's certainly more difficult, to be sure – but it lessens the dissociation and feelings of drunkedness significantly. So, is meditating while impaired counter-indicated if the 'impaired' can't be helped?

I can't think of a better way to pass the time, really.

Thank you and I hope everyone is doing well. :)

Same.

lobsteryagr