Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Covid Cabin

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks @person for championing the middle way.

However I feel we are entering a new type of middle as the need for Green will facilitate the next environmental emergency.

Our own beloved sangha that practice isolation tactics may be on to a survival strategy ...

The plastic and male burqa, Jain masking and extreme cleaning may become the neo-religious fashion ...
    https://theconversation.com/we-are-all-niqabis-now-coronavirus-masks-reveal-hypocrisy-of-face-covering-bans-136030

https://www.gotquestions.org/cleanliness-next-godliness.html

Bunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2020

@lobster said:
    Thanks @person for championing the middle way.

Thanks, I try not to simply find a place that is right in between two extremes. I do my best to adopt what has been called Radical Centrism, though I'm sure I don't really succeed, I tend to disagree rather than dialogue.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2020

**Covid-19: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug**

In the trial, led by a team from Oxford University, about 2000 hospital patients were given dexamethasone and compared with more than 4000 who were not.

For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40 percent to 28 percent.

For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25 percent to 20 percent.

Chief investigator Prof Peter Horby said: "This is the only drug so far that has been shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly. It's a major breakthrough."

Lead researcher Prof Martin Landray said the findings suggested one life could be saved for:

every eight patients on a ventilator
    every 20-25 treated with oxygen
    "There is a clear, clear benefit," he said.

"The treatment is up to 10 days of dexamethasone and it costs about £5 per patient.

Good news and cheap too...👍🏽

personDavid
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My father’s birthday is coming up, and he wants to go to a favourite restaurant in order to celebrate with me and his girlfriend. Which means a short trip by train to town, and so on. It’ll be the first outing of that sort for months.

Bunks

@Shoshin said:
    **Covid-19: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug**

In the trial, led by a team from Oxford University, about 2000 hospital patients were given dexamethasone and compared with more than 4000 who were not.

For patients on ventilators, it cut the risk of death from 40 percent to 28 percent.

For patients needing oxygen, it cut the risk of death from 25 percent to 20 percent.

Chief investigator Prof Peter Horby said: "This is the only drug so far that has been shown to reduce mortality - and it reduces it significantly. It's a major breakthrough."

Lead researcher Prof Martin Landray said the findings suggested one life could be saved for:

every eight patients on a ventilator
    every 20-25 treated with oxygen
    "There is a clear, clear benefit," he said.

"The treatment is up to 10 days of dexamethasone and it costs about £5 per patient.

Good news and cheap too...👍🏽

This sort of news points to another value of keeping the curve flat and delaying when people might become infected, better treatments.

@Kerome said:
    My father’s birthday is coming up, and he wants to go to a favourite restaurant in order to celebrate with me and his girlfriend. Which means a short trip by train to town, and so on. It’ll be the first outing of that sort for months.

I hope people are still being responsible where you are. I've been in favor of more opening for a while but think it needs to be paired with citizens doing their part to control the spread. With freedom comes responsibility otherwise its just chaos and disunity.

Vastmind

@person said:

This sort of news points to another value of keeping the curve flat and delaying when people might become infected, better treatments.

That's true ..

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

I am sure everyone is getting some encouragement from friends & relatives for a return to more familiar social norms but.....
    are there any activities outside of your social bubble where a wearing of masks and social distancing are not enforced, that are worth the potential of killing others by engaging in them?

lobsterShoshinDavid
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

As @how mentions you can not trust a mindless murderer ... and that is what this pandemic heralds.

Nature rebels. Our vested interests are furthering selfish, mindless agendas. As retreatants, zenniths, dharmaists, dabblers and fanatical seekers of the Neo-Buddha-Nature we have a choice:

Maximum good life for Self, family, friends, humanity ...

Did you have something better to do?

how

It would seem that the main thing which is spreading this virus is "self centeredness" which in itself acts like a virus, a virus which can mutate into 'mob' mentality...

Fortunately some people are naturally immune or over time have developed the "caring for others" antibodies, which helps combat self centeredness and it's mutated mob-mentality form....

personhowlobsterDavid

@Shoshin said:
    It would seem that the main thing which is spreading this virus is "self centeredness" which in itself acts like a virus, a virus which can mutate into 'mob' mentality...

Fortunately some people are naturally immune or over time have developed the "caring for others" antibodies, which helps combat self centeredness and it's mutated mob-mentality form....

I'd say its even worse than that. Someone could also just feel a patriotic duty towards their city, state, country to keep the spread low, but even that is lacking from some.

Though it might be ignorance as well. Even now its fairly common to read comments from people about how masks don't work, meaning they don't work to protect the wearer. Even though that hasn't been the reason mask wearing has been recommended for quite a while now. Even though on those particular comment threads lots of people are explaining why mask wearing is important to reduce the amount of potential spreading by the wearer.

Shoshin

To date here in Aotearoa ( NZ) we have had no community transmission.. all the cases have been, people returning home from overseas..

However some of those returnees have through self-centered desires, disregarded the quarantine rules in place to protect other Kiwis, and interacted with others (friends and relatives) increasing the risks of community infections, and transmission....Sadly a thing which is common place in other parts of the world where the virus is now running rampant...

It's one's self centered nature with a big dollop of ignorance which fuels the spread...

It's possible vanity also plays a big part in why some people 'refuse' to wear a face mask when out in public...It's "unbecoming"....

Vanity like Ignorance can be the instruments of death...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Vanity like Ignorance can be the instruments of death ...

Imagine that. We have to eventually take on the karmic ignorance of others as well as the throbbing vane of self ...

Isolate the ignorant. Shield the good. Be Buddha.

Iz plan Eco.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Its not just self centredness though, we have had a few cases of transmission from Black Lives Matter protests where people were not adhering to social distancing rules. People get too involved in what they are doing and don’t stay conscious.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

@Kerome said:
    Its not just self centredness though, we have had a few cases of transmission from Black Lives Matter protests where people were not adhering to social distancing rules. People get too involved in what they are doing and don’t stay conscious.

Self centeredness is not absent in a cause just because one sees that cause as just.
    Few things give folks a chance to be oblivious to their surroundings like self righteousness.

BunksDavid

There is also quite a bit of fatigue around adopting new habits. And there is an issue with social pressure. I live in an area where some places and stores require masks and most people wear them even if they don't and other places where they aren't worn. It takes varying degrees of character to wear a mask even though those around you aren't and some may even look at you like you're stupid or a sheeple.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Stoopid sheeple here!

Now might be a good to mention the veil of the blameworthy or then again ...
    https://www.shriaghoreshwar.org/en/aghor-aghori-and-aughar/

The Malamati is one for whom the doctrine of "spiritual states" is fraught with subtle deceptions of the most despicable kind; he despises personal piety, not because he is focused on the perceptions or reactions of people, but as a consistent involuntary witness of his own "pious hypocrisy".

Wisdom is crazy? Nah. Sanity is crazy. ;)

• Hi community :)

I recommend this dhamma talk from Ven. Ajahn Sona. He talks about COVID-19 briefly and answers the following questions:

1) How do we find equanimity during this time when we are seeing so much injustice, inequity and inequality?
    2) How can we carry any calm and stillness that we have developed during the pandemic, once the pandemic is over?
    3) How do we build our bank account of unconditional love, lovingkindness, Metta, and Karuna?
    4) How do we remain mindful and equanimous when we are bombarded with so much negative news that causes anxiety and depression?

Enjoy and good morning! :)

PD: Spain -my country of birth- is a disaster with COVID-19. A mix of government cuts on healthcare, poor self-control by our own population, and a history of being a police state (we had a dictatorship from 1939-1975/82) has caused the country to experience a severe lockdown. Particularly funny how the police behaved... sighs

However, I currently live in Germany and I feel it has been quite an experience. Not only have I not felt any lockdown at all. I have also engaged with my study and meditation during this time and feel a lot calmer than before. My family is doing great in Spain as they live in a very secluded place, thus I feel sorry for everyone who is suffering / suffered from this...

I recommend to turn off the excessive news -just like Ajahn Sona recommends, but that seems a quite easy-obvious step- and keep the basic health/safety measures. Though I find some of them quite.....strange.

Example: Supermarkets allow only people with shopping trolleys in order to respect or create awareness of the safety distance required. The result is people gather up in haste to grab a shopping trolley and also to park them. Also, unless the supermarket is huge -this one is quite small- it means you are just packing everyone up even more. Like sardines in a can.

Let's remain calm, use logic, and also be compassionate and kind. A nice Buddha cocktail without alcohol. Though my piña coladas seem to do the job sometimes...

AlexlobsterWalkerDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Apparently people are starting to stock pile toilet paper again in my city......what on earth is wrong with people??? O.o

KotishkaWalkerDavid
  • When I saw that happening all over the world -including where I live- I thought... "man, Historians will probably study this phenomenon as one of those irrational and stupid actions people took when they had to face adversities... such as seeking extreme political solutions.

I kind of understand the extreme political solutions -they sell this quick and fantastic solution where someone/something else (not you) is the problem- but toilet paper?

I was once in the tram and two Cuban men -clearly painters or some hard construction job- were laughing at what people were doing. I will always remember what one of them said:

"They think a hurricane is coming..."

BunksJeroenWalker
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I'm not sure on the exact technology. It is based on DNA, rather than a traditional vaccination with dead viruses according to the article.

BTW I didn't interact with the other staff members (we kept a safe distance)...due to my respiratory condition, they thought it best I go home, so I've had the afternoon off...

lobsterBunksWalkerAlex
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited June 2020

Foolish people :(

In Berlin something similar is happening. Big illegal raves, people going to their dealers, people not caring and just thinking about going on holidays (to Spain...).

I'm officially going to isolate myself from the outside world except to pick up my groceries.. It is time I learn the HANNYA HARAMITA SHINGYOOooOoooOOoOooOooO....

BunksWalkerShoshin

We've had a couple months of lockdown so the spread has been pretty low and the virus isn't as bad as we had initially feared. All this seems to have made many people think its not a problem at all and are just going back to life as normal. Now we are beginning to see a rise in cases and the way exponential spread works it starts slow then explodes. I really think in another month the situation, here in the US at least, will have gotten out of control and governments will want to shut down again. This time though lots of people who were willing to comply initially won't and with the already high state of unrest I genuinely worry what's going to happen.

Maybe not though, maybe when it really hits the fan people will rise to the occasion.

WalkerVastmindKotishkaShoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

We live on the south end of an island off the west coast of Canada that has largely escaped the Covid hot spots of the mainland. The Covid that did occur here mostly ended up being isolated on the North end of this Island. It also seems to be a strain with a markedly lesser degree of mortality associated to it. We mask when grocery shopping, clean off everything we bring in from outside and maintain small social bubbles with social distancing for all but are in the midst of reopening back up our travel restrictions that helped isolate this island.
    In the last couple of weeks I have seen a marked change in public attitudes that seems to say "OK All Clear", especially from folks under 30. Kind of a " Well I don't know anyone who got sick from it", statement.
    I hope that the next couple of months doesn't end up being another culling call for the unwary, that seems to be rising up now from around much of the globe.

KotishkaShoshinperson

We’ve had a bit of a heatwave, and it has drawn a lot of young people especially to the beach. Full trains are bad for social distancing...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm sorry, I really have to say it.

People are idiots.
    They are.
    They just are.

https://www.greenmatters.com/p/bournemouth-beach-trash?gm

WalkerAlexShoshin
  • I hope people remember that pollution was / is killing people before COVID-19 entered the stage... I guess it is not as effective as sudden imminent death-virus to evoke mass fear.... :/:(

• @federica Also, I was going to click on Lol, but actually my reaction -suggestion here- is to shed a small tear for such carelessness :(

lobster
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Crews harassed for picking up trash?!

Yep, you're assessment of people is correct.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

People are idiots.

We the people? Wee people? Other peoples? O.o

Came across a new word to describe those who intentionally break the social distancing rules and deliberately put lives at risk .... Covidiots

Bunks

Morena @Bunks ...Are you back in lockdown ?

Kia Ora @Shoshin. How are you?

About 30 suburbs in Melbourne have been put in to lock down but I don't actually live in Melbourne.

There are no cases where I live so I just stay close to home and try and live as normally as possible.

It's a little frustrating as the other states say "Victorians aren't welcome to visit us" when it's only actually a handful of suburbs in the capital that have active cases.

I guess they have to chuck us all in the same boat - human nature :)

Shoshinadamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

People are idiots.

I iz only half people. The rest are ... resting ... z z z ...

To be clear:

“One dervish shared with the other : " Everytime I clean myself a little; I jump straight back in the mud pool.. the idiot hog I am. " The other dervish laughed and replied "Yes mud is attractive !”
    ― Jean de Cabalis

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2020

Just when I was starting to worry about the new G4 EA H1N1pig virus that some have thought had a new pandemic potential, a report has come out saying that many different Corona viruses have now actually been isolated in animals that have the pandemic hall marks of being both aerosol communicable and that can thrive in a humans respiratory tracts.

"Dorothy, We are definitely not in Kansas any more".

BunksShoshinJeroenlobster

@how, that’s quite worrying. There have been some coronavirus outbreaks in slaughter houses, but if that’s true the farming community could be badly hit.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

It's some wild animals as well and they are not suggesting that they know how harmful these virus might be but since every other species is subject to factors of population control, perhaps we might be coming face to face with the fact that we are not actually the apex predator on this planet.

lobsterShoshinKotishka
    edited July 2020

On the local news this evening...a Covidiot... escaped from hotel quarantine. walked to a central city supermarket, did some shopping ....His virus test came back positive ...

NZ is not immune to Covidiots....we have our fair share of them...

@Shoshin said:
    On the local news this evening...a Covidiot... escaped from hotel quarantine. walked to a central city supermarket, did some shopping ....His virus test came back positive ...

NZ is not immune to Covidiots....we have our fair share of them...

OMG! Moron.
    I’ll take your covidiot and raise you one.
    Apparently one of the security guards looking after hotel quarantine had sex with a woman in quarantine and tested positive after returning home to his family.

Wow...That will take some topping @Bunks ....So Victoria goes back into lockdown this evening...

@Shoshin said:
    Wow...That will take some topping @Bunks ....So Victoria goes back into lockdown this evening...

No, just Melbourne. Us country folk have been spared but I’m preparing myself for it again.

Shoshin

That's good news @Bunks ...are your children with you ?

@Shoshin said:
    That's good news @Bunks ...are your children with you ?

Tonight they are but they to and fro between their mum and I.

Stay safe @Bunks

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Hey Bunks - sorry we've had to join the rest of the country in shutting our borders :( Hope you and your family stay safe and sane over the next 6 weeks

@SuraShine said:
    Hey Bunks - sorry we've had to join the rest of the country in shutting our borders :( Hope you and your family stay safe and sane over the next 6 weeks

Hi @SuraShine , as I mentioned to shoshin above, it is only Melbourne that has gone back into lockdown.

Regional Victoria (where I live) is BAU.

Thanks for your well wishes though. I hope you’re safe and well too 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️

SuraShine