Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sat Lurking

Dear Friends, spiritual voyeurs, bodhi lackers and lurkers,

There are many reasons to distrust our thoughts (do not mention fish ... do not mention fish ...). For example who knows, understands and transcends their peccadillos, when silent? In such cases silence can be the same as expression ... or a means to shellfish attachment (gosh ... I was so close :3) ...

What is lurking in our engagement without presence? Emptiness with form, or imprisoned by nothing?
https://wahiduddin.net/favorites.htm

Kotishka

Comments

• When the thought involves action/possible-actions, I aim towards seeing it clearly. Then, all thoughts are actions, inevitably if they take place in the material plane or not. Most certainly, even our thoughts have (and are) the power to shape or subconscious which then leads us to unconsciously take certain paths. Most of the time, these based on impulses and old old habits.... It is better to remain in silent and watch how they emerge, how they arise and fall, like the breath. So easily said, so hard to be done. That is why silence can help considerably. When practicing right speech and action, I consider silent a great form to proceed on the path.

This of course as long as it is not a passive-aggressive tactic to tell your flatmate to clean the dishes (true story..).

For some reason this quote and song came to my mind...

"Do not search for anything outside, for all is idle dust, and you cannot discern the false from the true."

Master Linji Yixuan (Rinzai Gigen)

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The thoughts that lurk in the darkness are generally born of our weaker impulses... it can be a certain memory, something from long ago, or a vestige of self-destructiveness. It is important to be kind to yourself, and kind to others, and since you inter-are with everything else, also kind to all things.

lobsteradamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Weaker impulses or kleshas
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleshas_(Buddhism)

Be kind to ourselves? Can't I just rely on others to be kind to me? ;)
    Practice kindness ... m m m ... stop beating ourselves with a dead fish or a dead hoss?

Seems like a practice plan ... B)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Our expression, like everything we say and do is an expression of our inner being. In other words we are as we present ...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

What we present is only ever an aspect of what we are, I think. It is like a light shining on one feature of a complex sculpture.

Alex
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The aspects 'r not us?

Tsk, tsk ... another get into jail free card ...

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Kerome said:
    The thoughts that lurk in the darkness are generally born of our weaker impulses... it can be a certain memory, something from long ago, or a vestige of self-destructiveness. It is important to be kind to yourself, and kind to others, and since you inter-are with everything else, also kind to all things.

This is the heart of it! Sign me up!

@lobster said:
    Our expression, like everything we say and do is an expression of our inner being. In other words we are as we present ...

@Kerome said:
    What we present is only ever an aspect of what we are, I think. It is like a light shining on one feature of a complex sculpture.

Glad I clicked on this thread. A lot of wisdom coming out!

Jeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Recently a lurker/absentee, contacted me with a private message. Something about not being able to get onto the forum ...
    My problem is the opposite ... 🥰

I am a great believer in public broadcast. We may go wrong, expose our ignorance/wisdom or character.

Being wrong is our right. Being put right is our innate capacity. We iz All-Ah-Buddha ... 👤

Jeffrey