Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

DNA...Ancestry Test

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I came across these interesting youtube videos by Jeff Rowan on his DNA Ancestry results...I found it quite fascinating...

Have you had a DNA Ancestry test ?

I haven't, but I would be interested to hear from some who have and if there were any surprises in the family's ancestry closet....

All I know about my family background is, Afro Caribbean father and Anglo Saxon mother, which makes me an "Afro-Saxon" ;);) ...(possibly some French thrown into the mix) ..but I'm sure there are many surprises, hidden in my ancestry closet...

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I think I once saw a video where a number of twins summited samples and received surprisingly different results.

Walkerperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Yes the whole DNA thing is quite interesting in how through DNA, traits & traumas can be passed on to offspring way down the line ....

Transgenerational trauma is interesting...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve never had it done, but I have heard that my family’s curly hair came in with an Indonesian ancestor in the distant past. But most of my DNA is just northwestern european for as far as I know.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I iz almost human 🥰

adamcrossley
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I haven't had one done. But I have a double cousin who has. (Our fathers were brothers and our moms were second cousins).

It pretty much confirmed what we did know of our heritage. Anglo-Saxon, Celtic on our moms' side and Eastern European (Czech) on our dads'. There was a quite high percentage of somewhat generic 'Western European' heritage in her test results too (I believe it was 40%), so we may have had some ancestors from other places in Europe as well.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2020

@how said:
    I think I once saw a video where a number of twins summited samples and received surprisingly different results.

Here's a video of identical twins getting 5 different tests and getting different results. Basically the tests available right now aren't very reliable. "Surprise" results are often just unknown noise in the tests.

My ancestry is mostly German, 3 of my 4 grandparents were 3rd generation German-American immigrants. The remaining line is more interesting and unknown at some point. That line goes back to a colonial immigrant from 1640, the records don't show where he came from but DNA tests seem to suggest Irish.

Vastmind
  • I've been thinking about doing this, but then I thought it would be more interesting to get it for my parents.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2020

When I think of the DNA ancestry test and the possible inherited traits & traumas associated with it, which are passed down through generations and the different ethnic/racial ancestry mix involved, the concept of karma & rebirth come to mind..... In a sense the DNA ancestry test results could be the missing karmic rebirth links so to speak which make up who we are today...Well the human side of rebirth that is :)

Subatomic particles drifting apart, floating around in time & space, then when conditions are right karmically coming together to form another "I" that's carries many traits and possible traumas passed on by previous "I"s with a karmic connection....

Sometimes certain traits one displayed can be traced back through the generations, eg, where an elderly family member might comment on your behaviour/reaction towards something by saying "Your great grandmother/father used to do/be/look like that/you "...

I'm sure there's a karmic connections somewhere...

Just a thought....

"I'm just a vibrating bundle of energy flux held together by karmic glue
    where some ancestral traits and traumas are karmically intertwined too"

personlobster
  • According to Nat'l Geo:
    Touch of Neaderthal (1.5%)
    56% from the British Isles (Including Ireland)
    Mix of Nordic and Iberian origin from the migrations.
    So, I guess, North West European Mutt. =)

lobsterWalkerShoshin

@Shoshin said:
    When I think of the DNA ancestry test and the possible inherited traits & traumas associated with it, which are passed down through generations and the different ethnic/racial ancestry mix involved, the concept of karma & rebirth come to mind..... In a sense the DNA ancestry test results could be the missing karmic rebirth links so to speak which make up who we are today...Well the human side of rebirth that is :)

Subatomic particles drifting apart, floating around in time & space, then when conditions are right karmically coming together to form another "I" that's carries many traits and possible traumas passed on by previous "I"s with a karmic connection....

Sometimes certain traits one displayed can be traced back through the generations, eg, where an elderly family member might comment on your behaviour/reaction towards something by saying "Your great grandmother/father used to do/be/look like that/you "...

I'm sure there's a karmic connections somewhere...

Just a thought....

"I'm just a vibrating bundle of energy flux held together by karmic glue
    where some ancestral traits and traumas are karmically intertwined too"

I've been thinking something similar recently. Maybe you listen to Dan Harris's podcast? He had a guest on that mentioned something about genetic memories that got me relating it to karma.

Anyway he mentioned a study where a rat was put in a cage with an electrified floor and whenever they'd turn it on they'd also add the scent of some flower, orange blossoms maybe? They then had him father some children and kept them completely seperated, they never met. But when the child rats were given the scent of orange blossoms they would jump around like the floor was electrified. Crazy.

So then how does that affect new generations of people who's parents, not sure how many generations back this genetic effect goes, have been subject to trauma or oppression. What kind of karmic burden are many people born with that is completely outside of their control?

I'm thinking of my own life now. My father lost his father when he was 10. I generally have difficult emotions and relations with male authority figures, I put this mostly on my own relationship with my father but now I wonder if it goes even deeper.

lobsterShoshin

@Lionduck said:
    According to Nat'l Geo:
    Touch of Neaderthal (1.5%)
    56% from the British Isles (Including Ireland)
    Mix of Nordic and Iberian origin from the migrations.
    So, I guess, North West European Mutt. =)

Good thing you watch National Geographic and not the History Channel. They might tell you that part of the remaining 30% is alien.

WalkerShoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I know, isn’t it awful? That something called the History Channel would devote time to shows like “the unXplained with William Shatner” when they have all of history to choose from to do good tv?

• @person
    What do you mean, "Might"? B)=)=)

Shoshin