Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’m thinking of spending a substantial amount of money on a new iMac. Sigh. Shiny things.

BunkslobsterShoshinWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2020

Fish are shiny. I-likes-Shiny.

Imac or iMac not, There is no Sigh
    Steve 'Yoda' Jobs B)

JeroenWalker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I like shiny too. But these days I check what I actually need shiny things for, and then I come to the conclusion that I actually only need that thing for a few essential tasks. I can do almost everything on my iPad these days. But I have some old USB devices that I need access to, and for that I need a full computer, and my MacBook Air from 2011 is getting ancient.

When I bought that MacBook Air I had this romantic vision of sitting in cafe’s writing books and things, and that totally didn’t happen. Instead I meditated a lot and read a lot of Buddhism. So I don’t think I need a new laptop, that MacBook Air is still quite capable and has a lot of good software on it.

I’ve bought a house, with my mother and stepfather. We move in on Friday, it will be the first time I have lived in a house rather than a flat in many years.

howlobsterBunksShoshin
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

lol @Kerome

You thought my iPhone 5 was ancient? I'm still using my MacBook Pro from 2009. O.o

I've replaced the battery twice, and the HDD once. And I replaced the fans just a couple of months ago.

Electronic devices have become something of a necessity for most of us. It's too bad that they need replacing so often to keep up with software.

I think I've done OK with mine, I know they'll need replacing sooner or later, but I like to keep stuff as long as I can. I can't understand people that replace their phones, computers and cars (?!) every 3-4 years.

edited July 2020

Here in the Netherlands a lot of people still buy Android phones on cheap contracts and end up paying like 10-15 euro’s for the connection and 6-10 euro’s for the phone, which they pay off after two years. But because they buy such cheap phones they are plasticky and wear quickly, and so after two years they will take a new phone and get a new two-year contract.

Android kind of facilitates that, because the update policy is so awful. You get one or maybe two updates in a phone’s lifetime, and people just can’t seem to resist the combination of shiny new software and shiny new hardware.

I’ve been making the argument for ages that an iPhone is more expensive up front, but it is so durable and gets so many updates that you can easily use it for 5-6 years. The iPhone SE 2 was a real sweet-spot product because it is fast, will last 5-6 years and was mid-range in price, I think Apple was clever to position it there.

But we are now reaching the point where phones don’t need to get any faster. The chip that’s in the most recent iPhones is already the equivalent of an Intel Core i5 desktop chip from a few years ago, and it’s in a freaking phone. There just aren’t that many applications that require more processing power. So there are even less reasons to replace your phone so often.

It all comes down to using equipment you buy until it reaches end-of-life. I think you get the most value out of it that way, and it is better for the environment. I’m not a believer in buying and then selling second-hand.

Walkerlobsterperson

But I think computers reached that point of fast-enough quite a few years ago. Last time my dad was buying a Windows computer I advised him, buy something ultra-reliable, like a HP or Lenovo, even if it doesn’t have top of the line specs. It’s going to last you ten years. And that was the second time I was giving him that advice, and the last time it was also good for a decade.

If you replace a MacBook Pro from 2009, or in my case a MacBook Air from 2011, with something up to date, you will notice it. The yearly speed bumps of 10-15% add up over time to something significant, and the number of cores has been going up slowly as well. But it’s replacing something that was competent with something that‘s really slick.

I like to keep my gear so that they keep getting OS updates, that’s my personal limit on when equipment is old, and with Apple they eventually run out, it’s not like Windows which supports even quite ancient gear. My MacBook Air was too old for the last couple of big updates, so it’s been living on borrowed time, although I did notice the Safari web browser updating the other day.

The just-announced transition of the Mac to Apples own ARM processors looks like a good time to upgrade. It seems like Apple is taking the opportunity to think outside the box in terms of processor specs, and I think the new Macs will be supported for a long time. So I was going to wait until the ARM iMacs are released and then buy one.

Walker

Ive done my duty and donated to wikipedia.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Ive done my duty and donated to wikipedia.

Yes, I try to do the same each year....I use them a lot so feel obliged

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I felt as though a Disney soundtrack was supposed to be playing.

Purelander! ;)

Walker

Moving house is sweaty work.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Moving house is sweaty work.

It absolutely is! We moved house recently, too, and are going to collect the last bits of furniture on Saturday. Not looking forward to dragging that sofa bed up two flights of stairs :anguished:

• the tragedy of the bearded dragon is that a certain individual claiming remarkable intellect and aplomb, possessing neither, resembles them in certain head shots.
    Of course, they disregard that when fed their favorite foods such as crickets, worms and broccoli.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2020

LOL @Lionduck

I like my Buddha Naturals wild. My current favourite is a juvenile robin and a singing wren that has adopted me.

Animal friends. What an honour ... I luvs them blues poppy @adamcrossley

adamcrossleyLionduck

I was channeling my inner Caruso last night (ie singing).

adamcrossleylobster

I have moved house now, and even with mover chaps and a big truck it was thirsty work. You are on your feet a lot, constantly making decisions, it’s pretty tiring. But we’re done now, even though most of our stuff is in boxes stacked in the new garage.

WalkerBunksShoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I wonder how often we leave boxes unopened in the garage after we have moved...When moving we carefully pack everything (we think we will need) away in boxes with the intention of unpacking them when we start to settle in to our new place...only to find months, even years down the track, some boxes remain unopened never see the light of day again, or if we do get around to opening some, it's to find a particular item, the rest of the stuff we leave in the box...

Moving is a good time to become aware of attachment & clinging and to develop the art of letting go ....

lobsterBunksJeroenadamcrossley
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

They do say, if you pack a box, seal it and store it, and look at it 6 months later, and cannot recall the contents, you don't need the contents at all. 90% of the time, we hold on to things through association, not through necessity.

Bunksadamcrossley

It seems my iPhone is the most important necessity...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    It seems my iPhone is the most important necessity...

I went to my daughter's house for a week, before lockdown... I forgot my phone. Unbelievable.
    I cannot begin to tell you how liberating it felt to NOT have it on me!

lobsterWalkerBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Glad you are safe Flasher @Shoshin <3

I haz electric bike @how. One of my best purchases. Bikes are in short supply in UK at the moment. B)

ShoshinJeroenBunkshow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

In short supply here as well. Mine was mailed direct to me from the manufacture. Took an hour to assemble from a cardboard box (including me having to redo the Handle bars because I assembled them backward the first time).

ShoshinJeroenBunks

And the Netherlands being so flat, one wouldn't need an electric bike...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I also have a mountain bike which I may have to give away. I whore wore it out. I tend to get the cheapest bikes I can and wear them until service required ... mountain bikes have the best suspension, gearing. Ride slow is my way @federia. I often get overtaken by joggers. The electric bike at 15 mph seemed like greased lightening ... had to learn slow riding technique ...

Are we all lay consumerist geekery Buddhists now?

Just bought a larger tv. It was the cheapest with good reviews I could find at RicherSounds. I may watch it a bit tomorrow. Today had to assemble. Connection to WWW (world wide winternet) was a doddle. Not really for me. Honest. Picture seems incredible. Now to upgrade our broadband ...

OM MANY TEKNO BUD HO HUM o:)

adamcrossley

THIS is a little worrying....
    Another way the "big Guys" are quietly manipulating us to behave the way THEY want us to... ?

@lobster said:
    Just bought a larger tv. It was the cheapest with good reviews I could find at RicherSounds. I may watch it a bit tomorrow. Today had to assemble. Connection to WWW (world wide winternet) was a doddle. Not really for me. Honest. Picture seems incredible. Now to upgrade our broadband ...

Im also doing techie things in the new house today. Cable guy is coming to repair the socket and install our WiFi, I am hoping to find the power extension lead for the television somewhere.

edited July 2020

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:

Im also doing techie things in the new house today. Cable guy is coming to repair the socket and install our WiFi, I am hoping to find the power extension lead for the television somewhere.
    ~

It's far too late to give you moving advice, but ~the next time~ you move, pack boxes and as you do, number them, and put the destination (Kitchen, living room, Bedroom 1, bathroom, etc...). Then, on a separate list, write the number of the box, and list its general contents. When you move into your new place, anyone moving your boxes will know precisely where to put them, and you'll know precisely what's in them.

Jeroenadamcrossley

Very good advice... all the boxes have ended up in the garage and we only roughly know what is in them, we didn’t label them with destination rooms. Part of the problem was that a lot of our stuff was coming out of storage from a previous move. It will take a few weeks to sort things out.

weeks months, would be more accurate!

But at least we have WiFi again, they came and connected us to the cable this afternoon.

You found the extension then...?!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2020

@Kerome
    As a kayaker/campers, we are used to how crazy it can be having identical containers of supplies that are not clearly labeled. In our last move we treated it like a kayak expedition. All boxes were labeled on at least 3 sides so you don't have to move everything around to see what's there, (and as Federica suggests) with florescent tape of the boxes contents and destination. Those labels get covered with a wider strip of clear packing tape so they can't come off in the move through rain or rough handling and some small sliver of sanity can actually be retained through the whole process.

Jeroenadamcrossley

@federica said:
    You found the extension then...?!

No, bought a new one. It’ll turn up sometime, but I can’t get at all the boxes, the bikes are in the way. Not kidding.

@Kerome said:
    I was channeling my inner Caruso last night (ie singing).

My mom has decided I should do this more often and so has given me some singing lessons for my birthday.

@Kerome said:

the bikes are in the way. Not kidding.

Spoken like a true Dutchman. ;)

federica

Morena @Bunks ...Have you stocked up on masks ? "Face mask to be mandatory"

@Shoshin said:

Hi @Shoshin

Masks aren't mandatory where I am but I have a few disposables so wear them when I go to the shopping centre etc. I notice other folk starting to do the same thing.

I have four reusable masks on order that should arrive soon!

Take care.

ShoshinWalker

@Bunks said:

@Shoshin said:

Hi @Shoshin

Masks aren't mandatory where I am but I have a few disposables so wear them when I go to the shopping centre etc. I notice other folk starting to do the same thing.

I have four reusable masks on order that should arrive soon!

Take care.

.....and my ex-wife has been kind enough to make me a mask too :)

Shoshin

That's nice of her @Bunks <3

Bunks

@Shoshin said:
    That's nice of her @Bunks <3

She loves to sew so I think is enjoying it...

Shoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2020

Anybody in the Northern Hemisphere been watching NEOWISE. It was about1/3 the distance down from the lowest star of the big dipper and the earth at about 11:00 PM last night. It's getting fainter with each passing night but is still visible to the naked eye if you're away from light pollution.
    Or ya could wait 7 thousand years for its returning visit. It's strange to think that the most progressive humans to have last seen it were hunter/gatherers.
    I wonder if it might be the same group to see it the next time it swings by?

lobsterfedericaShoshinadamcrossley
  • ShoshinBunkslobsterWalker
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Outstanding @コチシカ

Great demo of mindfulness. 🙏🏽✅🌈

BunksKotishka

Happy Birthday @Kerome

Bunks