Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Four Types of Intelligence

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

Buddhist texts speak of four types or qualities of intelligence: great intelligence, swift intelligence, clear intelligence, and penetrating intelligence. Because we must analyze the subject matter carefully, we need great intelligence; because we cannot naively conclude that something is the case except on the basis of a meticulous analysis, we needs [sic] clear intelligence; because we need to be able to "think on our feet," we need swift intelligence; and because we need to pursue the full implications of a line of inquiry, we need penetrating intelligence.

HHDL's The Middle Way, p. 15

This is just an odd bit of TB classification that I remember hearing at one point. There was a very brief discussion about types of intelligence on another thread and I thought I'd post.

In general I think it helpful to understand what differing people's dispositions are in order to tailor our message to be most helpful and meet people where they are.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And they're not mutually exclusive of course; they should all be up and running simultaneously.

personhow