Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Different areas of intelligence

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I’ve always considered myself a fairly intelligent human being, but I am beginning to realise that in some areas I am rather dull and stupid. It’s a question of being able to read between the lines, of a certain liveliness. If you ask me about computers I have a lot of insight, quick understanding, the ability to absorb a lot of information and the ability to discuss it sensibly. That is a combination that many would call intelligence.

But if you ask me about relationships then you would discover a rather different person, someone who deciphers clues slowly, who comes to conclusions slowly, who doesn’t pick up on information that isn’t fairly obvious. There is a certain dullness in me about a lot of things. I have a good heart, but perhaps not the greatest measure of emotional intelligence.

It’s actually interesting, I recently had a psychological assessment to look for a general personality structure and check for signs of autism, but there weren’t any indications found, except that I seem to think that things are ok with me.

Have you discovered in yourself these kinds of different areas of intelligence?

Comments

• @Kerome said:
    Have you discovered in yourself these kinds of different areas of intelligence?

Sure EQ
    Emotional intelligence or Emotional Quotient tends to be [warning approaching generalisation] lower in men and Buddhists.

It is why in one sense the Buddha Balanced are independent of personality testing. Some may be more gender specific, intellectual or emotionally developed or underdeveloped.

So for example dervish training is more heart orientated but also values other ways into The Kingdom of Cod Gad God Ella Allah. God I knew we would get there in the end ...

There are other ways in. My first form of spiritual training was physical. It is important to stabilise around our strengths or if a spiritual weakling develop some discipline.

I try and focus on my weaknesses but then I need constant polishing ...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@lobster said:
    Sure EQ
    Emotional intelligence or Emotional Quotient tends to be [warning approaching generalisation] lower in... Buddhists.

I've never heard about this. Is there some research into this or is it a personal observation?

I'm not sure if this is considered psychological canon yet or is still in the realm of hypothesis but there is a view of 9 different types of intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2020

I am still waiting to see if the self analysis of my own intelligence can amount to much more than some mentality just trying to justify its own delusionary efforts at empire building.
    Compartmentalization might have brought us many specialized survival skills over others but in doing so we have generally limited our experiences of much wider intelligences that are unbound by self identification.

KotishkaShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hmm, it would seem I'm a Jill of all trades intelligences, mistress of none...the mind's a bit of a dabbler when it comes to intelligences...at times I surprise my self :)

Kotishka
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2020

@person the ascetic, yogic, precept rule based dharma with accompanying sutra support, favour a denial (training) and transcendence of emotional attachments or is your general experience different?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@how said:
    I am still waiting to see if the self analysis of my own intelligence can amount to much more than some mentality just trying to justify its own delusionary efforts at empire building.

My experience is that if you can talk about something with interest and verve, intelligibly discussing its various points and hows then that is a good indication of intelligence in that field. We don’t train debating so much anymore these days, but it is a key indicator of a lively spirit with a lot of facts at hand.

But I wasn’t so much raising the point of EQ vs IQ, I was thinking more of the mindfulness aspects of this. It’s generally quite hard to observe and form a judgment of how intelligent you are, its one of those things you are on the inside of.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2020

Yes, what eye ever directly sees itself without some artificial aid?
    I was really speaking of discovering how much more helpful intelligence can be when it can freely connect to sources of data that are untouched by conditioned self interest.
    It can be dynamic enough to make it feel as if one is partaking of a much wider field of consciousness than a more traditional "self verse other" view can account for.
    This may well be the origin of many folks spiritual experience and makes the question of the analysis of individual intelligence as limited as trying to work out the variables of a library from a random book that you've borrowed from it.
    It's like asking about the various limited expressions of intelligent anyone might find within the confines of their own sandbox when unlimited intelligence beckons simply from a transcendence of those sandbox walls.

Kotishkalobster
  • Well said!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@lobster said:
    @person the ascetic, yogic, precept rule based dharma with accompanying sutra support, favour a denial (training) and transcendence of emotional attachments or is your general experience different?

I'd have to think about the idea some more, but initially I'm not really sure that framing fits. My experience says that Buddhist training leads one to a greater awareness and sensitivity towards one's own and other's emotions. I guess you could call training a denial of sorts but I think the actual experience when done properly recognizes emotions but consciously redirects attention to more skillful modes of being.

lobster
  • I would be interested in your further insights. I would agree that awareness and sensitivity is possible. In time and with sufficient exposure to right practice it is inevitable. If not becoming more sensitive/aware/mindful ... well might just be a dabblin'-play-buddhist?

So dharma intelligence includes:

• change
    • awareness
    • awareness polishing
    • changes in awareness polishing

Iz plan?