Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Now that lock down allows us to watch movies between practices, what have you been watching?

I watched The Platform, a horrific vision but positively reviewed. It has lobster and other food in it but is not for the squeamish, vegans or nuns and monks who have not done corpse meditation ...

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I’ve been watching series on Netflix, the latest one is this, Dead To Me. It’s pretty good, more drama but almost entirely non-violent, the emotional side of it is very well acted.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    I’ve been watching series on Netflix, the latest one is this, Dead To Me. It’s pretty good, more drama but almost entirely non-violent, the emotional side of it is very well acted.

Yes, have seen the entire series, even the latest one. And apparently, might be more in the pipeline. It's very good. Every episode end is a cliff-hanger. I won't spoil it for you but...

No.
    I won't spoil it for you.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2020

Latest film I have watched is actually on Amazon Prime, titled 'Fasting.' The first 40 minutes are good (save the last 5 or so). The remainder of the film? Mixed feelings. It's broken up into sections, including one on Eating disorders which frankly, could do with enlarging upon and being less focussed on merely 2 individual cases; then there's a section on disease/illness/condition treatment, which has some interesting points, and finally, there's the 'big sell'; Some guy/gal (and this is just MY opinion, ok) jumping on the bandwagon, selling expensive food products labelled under the umbrella of "Fast-mimicking"... Beats me!

It's also completely American-centric. They speak of Fasting prevalent in other cultures, but never touch on any aspect outside the confines of the USA, focusing rather on the Mormon community
    in Utah, who frankly don't really Fast at all. They just skip meals for one day a month...

So basically, you could just take the first 40 minutes and skim the remainder.
    A pity. They had the opportunity to really be able to explore the process of Fasting in much greater depth, with more emphasis on research, global use, efficacy and history.

Frankly? They blew it.

adamcrossleylobsterhaoto
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2020

Now that lock down allows us to watch movies between practices, what have you been watching?

Pandemic

Mind you, I didn't really need to watch the movie....just the news....

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I highly recommend After Life by Ricky Gervais on Netflix. There's 2 seasons at 6 episodes each so not too long. It's about a man, played by Gervais, who loses the love of his life and is absolutely devastated, in lieu of killing himself he decides he can now be as big of an asshole as he feels like because if things go bad he can always just off himself. It shows his journey of grief and trying to find hope again. Very emotional and very human, also very funny.

Vastmindlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Ricky Gervais was great in this.

federicaVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

What have I watched the last 2 months off of work?

Every documentary on Netflix.
    Most of the competition shows on Netflix.
    Tales of the City (original and updated)
    ....and I am now an avid watcher of Animal Crossing! I watch my daughter, Adjua play for a couple hours each day.

adamcrossleylobsterLina_San
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I Am Not Your Negro.

Shoshinlobsterhaoto
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I saw this movie The Space Between Us a few days ago, it was decent. A little bit simplistic perhaps. But good production values.

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran
    edited June 2020

"The Little Hours" is pretty good.

@Vimalajāti said:

Saucy...!

@federica said:

@Vimalajāti said:

Saucy...!

Certainly the trailer was quite... hohum... active.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Just cycling through our largish pile of dvd's, watching Studio Ghibli stuff at the moment, and desperately trying to avoid my wife's complete collection of Dukes of Hazzard episodes.

Ghibli stuff is great - a story is just a story, but visual artwork goes on forever, never get tired of it.

adamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Fosdick said:
    Ghibli stuff is great

Indeed. Sometimes culturally strange but interesting. Beautiful work.

Enjoyed the comedy of “The Little Hours". Nuns behaving badly ...

Talking of animation ... my favourite ... Free

The Man Who Planted Trees

Walkerjustushobbits

I'll recommend Spike Lee's new film Da 5 Bloods on Netflix. It's about vets going back to Vietnam many years later. There is plenty of violence though so be aware if you'd rather avoid that.

I saw this the other day, quite enjoyed it. No violence.

I re-watched "The Game Changers" on Netflix to keep me on the straight and narrow.

incidentally, I also watched a Nutritionist trying to pick holes in this film. I managed to find quite a few counter-arguments to his points. As did hundreds of respondents to his critique.
    In short, understand this film is highly credible, but you must be your own decider on what is presented.

I'm also watching a couple of series, courtesy of my H. One is Warrior Nuns (laughable, really, but chewing-gum for the eyes!) and another on Am.Prime, called 'Hoarders'. My goodness... No. Just....No.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I saw this the other day, quite enjoyed it. No violence.

Que? No violence?
    It included childbirth and emotional horror. 😱🤭

Still it was funny, if you enjoy incompetent (normal) parenting ...

🦞

@lobster said:
    Que? No violence?
    It included childbirth and emotional horror. 😱🤭

Still it was funny, if you enjoy incompetent (normal) parenting ...

Yeah I know, I laughed a few times. The slacker friend group of the male lead was quite amusing.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Pandemic

Excellent pre-covid Hollywood exploration of pandemic ...

Mind you, I didn't really need to watch the movie....just the news....

In the UK 20% of people believe pandemic is faked ... and caused by 5G broadband ... :o

Does we haz vaccination for David Icky stoopid? O.o
    https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-has-no-link-to-covid-19-as-social-media-aims-to-squash-false-conspiracy-theory/

• Return To Gandhi Road

I visited the monastery when in Darjeeling back in the early 1980s when travelling overland from Oz to the UK... bought a rug and woven shoulder bag from the Tibetan refugee centre ...no longer have the rug but I still have the bag

At the monastery 1982

..the young monks will be in their mid to late 30s now 🙏🙏🙏

The documentary will be showing at out local cinema soon...

lobsterLina_San
  • I should have put the above post in the Documentaries thread...Please remove @federica

• LBArt23LBArt23 California New

Cobra Kai

• I am interested in the Kogi

So was interested to see their latest film/documentary

The kogi are descendants/remnants of the Columbian Tairona culture
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tairona

... meanwhile director of Alien and Blade Runner has a cinematic Netflix series ...
    Raised by Cougars Wolves, which is also based around 'The Mother'

edited September 2020

I was watching this documentary called The Salt of the Earth by Wim Wenders, it was very good about the photographer Sebastiao Salgado. In the middle you think “how many disasters and warzones did he follow” and then it takes a turn for the better...

@LBArt23 said:
    Cobra Kai

I'm only through the first season but I really like the way they sort of reverse the roles between Daniel and Jonny. And how it isn't forced but is a natural outgrowth from the consequences of their conflict back when they were young.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

Talking of documentaries, tv series etc:

Feel good factor available here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelous_Mrs._Maisel

Now that I high speed fibre cable can stream 4k from youtube
    ... you can find loads yourself to your preferences ...

I watched The Avengers: Infinity War. It seemed to me that it was largely empty of thought, just a bunch of heroes trying to save the universe with lots of pretty CG footage. Very little with real pathos.

lobster
  • Alice in wonderland 1903 original

lobsterFosdick
  • Now that I high speed fibre cable can stream 4k from youtube

Sorry should be 'Now that I use high speed fibre cable' etc ...

Now back to Oz, Wonderland and Reel Film

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I watched The Avengers: Infinity War.

I started trying to watch that, couldn't get through more than 20 or 30 minutes of it. That CG is really boring, especially in the complete absence of a real story, decent acting, and skilled direction.

• Also just finished watching "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix...

Interesting....

personLBArt23
    edited September 2020

@Fosdick said:

I watched The Avengers: Infinity War.

I started trying to watch that, couldn't get through more than 20 or 30 minutes of it. That CG is really boring, especially in the complete absence of a real story, decent acting, and skilled direction.

It’s just spectacle... super powered blowing up buildings and streets, catapulting into space, feats of daring, that kind of stuff. It’s not real, it’s powderpuff fantasy, distraction.

In my teens I was a bit of a fan of comic books, so I have on occasion enjoyed the resurgence on the movie screen of a lot of these old stories. But I think I have largely outgrown them, i was planning to buy both Infinity War and Endgame, but it’s put me off to such an extent that I haven’t bothered with the second part.

@Shoshin1 said:
    Also just finished watching "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix...

Interesting....

I'm of the opinion that a major cause of the heightened polarization, anger, anxiety and general uneasiness in society is social media and what it is doing to our ability to properly understand the world. What some people are calling a crisis in our sense making apparatus.

Vastmind
  • I can remember a wow moment when something popped into my feed ( I think that's the term internet savvy nerds use) that I was interested in, 'like magic'... not realising that AM (Artificial Intellegence's Artificial Memory) was designed to check all my passed searches and drip feed me with info/ads/YouTube clips/etc which "I" preferred...Thinking for me so to speak...with its subtle subliminal persuasion ( paid for by advertisers) in an attempt to change or re enforce my preferences...

lobsterperson
  • @Kerome said:
    I watched The Avengers: Infinity War. It seemed to me that it was largely empty of thought, just a bunch of heroes trying to save the universe with lots of pretty CG footage. Very little with real pathos.

A few years ago I was walking home and on impulse decided to go see a movie. I bought a ticket to one of the first available screenings, which was one of the Avengers movies. What I did not know was that it was the opening night for the movie: everyone was dressed up in costumes, hugely excited and there was free Champagne!

I was bored out of my mind and left 30 minutes after the start of the movie. :)

JeroenlobsterBunks

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here is Spring Summer Fall Winter... and Spring now on YouTube

• As I can hardly ever go for a walk due to still shielding in London must rewatch
    Wild (2014 film) with Reece Witherspoon about a transformative long hike ...

Great film based on a memoir ...

Jeroen

@lobster said:
    As I can hardly ever go for a walk due to still shielding in London must rewatch

It was on tv here a few days ago... think I recorded it even though I had already seen it.

edited September 2020

Whoops, double post.

Anyway, I have started a strategy of looking up movies on iTunes that I thought were good and worthwhile, and seeing what similar movies show up in the recommendations stream. So far I have looked at:

Good Will Hunting, Eat Pray Love, The Fountain, Cloud Atlas, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

It is a process that takes some time because each film that’s recommended you need to give some attention. It’s surprising how little there is though... once you rule out the thrillers, the action adventures, the romantic comedies, the crime movies, and you get rid of all the rest of the formulaic crap, there aren’t that many movies left, and then if you want to find quality it becomes a high bar.

• Eat Pray Love
    Started watching. Too new agey for me.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    This is fun. A good story well told. Might even say it is a musical ...

@lobster said:
    Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    This is fun. A good story well told. Might even say it is a musical ...

It’s based on Homer’s The Odyssey. Think of that set in the American deep south but with some cracking olde timey music.

lobsterperson

From Tricycle...

BUDDHIST STREAMING SITE TO LAUNCH LATER THIS YEAR

The Buddhist Film Foundation, which presents, preserves and promotes Buddhist films from around the world, will launch the Buddhist Film Channel (BFC), a streaming platform devoted exclusively to Buddhist and mindfulness cinema later this year. Already the organization has obtained licenses for 100 titles and will continue to add new films monthly, including feature films, shorts, television shows, video talks, and interviews. The content will be available on a pay-per-view basis as rentals or download-to-own. Everything will be in English or with English subtitles at first; a special fund has been established to cover the costs of adding subtitles in the most common Asian and European languages. If you simply can’t wait until BFC goes live, Tricycle’s Film Club offers a new Buddhist film every month. Check out September’s film, Darkhan, directed by Gulshat Omarova.

Stu_the_Blessed
  • Great documentary about how to save the world with regenerative agriculture. 💗
    Kiss The Ground

edited September 2020

If you’ve not yet seen the documentary Crazywise there are a few places where it can be seen for free on the internet. Highly recommended, about the connection between craziness and wisdom in the modern world and among primitive cultures.

Here is a Dutch site which is showing the film in English with subtitles.

https://centrumpuur.nl/crazy-wise/

@lobster said:
    As I can hardly ever go for a walk due to still shielding in London must rewatch

Watched it again last night, really enjoyed it (again) on the second viewing.

edited September 2020

@Kerome said:
    If you’ve not yet seen the documentary Crazywise there are a few places where it can be seen for free on the internet. Highly recommended, about the connection between craziness and wisdom in the modern world and among primitive cultures.

Here is a Dutch site which is showing the film in English with subtitles.

https://centrumpuur.nl/crazy-wise/

Here is the trailer.

• Thanks Kerome will look out for crazywise. <3

I am shielding with three crazies, including me.
    Strangely enough I am the most sane :3

Never worry about labels, opinions or trump style witch doctoring. Everyone here is sane enough to be:

Kind
    Considerate
    Genuine

Relax. The world is crazy. Stay calming ...

• Strangely enough I am the most sane :3

🙃

lobster
  • Thanks again @Kerome <3

Followed the dutch link, used the CWDUTCH password. CrazyWise is a great find for those of us who are on the crazy <> sane spectrum or are trying to support ourselves, family or friends ... in other words everyone ...

gonna look at:

• recovery movement
    • families healing together
    • peer counselling

and some of the other great leads <3

Jeroen