Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Listen, observe, feel. Still.

As we all know.

Senses can be highlighted, Thoughts focussed.

We can hear a mediation pin clang drop ... Observe the nurtured mine, mined mine. Feel the arisings.

Still we are.

Ain't it so? Same as it ever is ...

how

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well, I often have a bit of tinnitus, which rather interferes with hearing a pin drop... but I understand the sentiment.

But I often wonder about statements in the sutras to ‘guard the senses’, it’s not entirely clear to me exactly what is meant by that.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2020

@Kerome said:
    Well, I often have a bit of tinnitus, which rather interferes with hearing a pin drop...

No, you're in good company; Nobody has ever heard a pin drop.

Which is different to hearing a pin land ...

But I often wonder about statements in the sutras to ‘guard the senses’, it’s not entirely clear to me exactly what is meant by that

My personal interpretation would be to be cautious or mindful about your reaction, based on what your senses perceive...

• If we hear music we dislike, we should not label it as a strident and unpleasant sound; to some, it might be a thing of beauty..
    • If we see a painting and decide that it is a clash of colours and unfathomable, we should not label it as ugly or inept; to some it would be a welcome adornment to their home..
    • If we smell a fragrance that we consider heavy, sickly and overly sweet, we should not label it as offensive and disgusting; to some it may be an enhancement and delight..
    • If we touch something cold and slimy, we should not recoil in horror and label it revolting; to some it may be tactile and welcome..
    • If we taste something which we consider bitter and unappetising, we should not label it as unpalatable and inedible; to some it may be delicious and 'la crème de la crème'..

In my view....YMMV...

lobsterJeroen
  • Tinnitus can be a very fruitful object to focus lightly on. It becomes a series of notes at various pitches. It’s a handy focus too, it’s always there and is highly portable..😎

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2020

This might just be a Zen specific view but....
    I think of a fruitful object of focus as an object that transcends our manipulative or conditioned reflex of focusing on one sense gate to the exclusion of the others.

Most folks with tinnitus find that any specific focusing upon their tinnitus results in a intensification of its presence which then dominates over all of the other sense gate inputs.

Doing the exact opposite, which is focusing on our wider range of sensory options, brings the tinnitus pushed auditory dominance to heel when it is forced to assume a more collegial position within the 6 senses. This generally gets reported then as a reduction in a tinnitus persons suffering.

• I have tinnitus following a reaction to an antibiotic. I was advised by a teacher to take it as a meditation object, for a time, and not exclusively. I tried it and it was interesting. I found concentration on the sound came easily, and between formal meditation times the sound was less intrusive. Now most of the time I am only aware of it if I consciously choose to be.
    I am not suggesting of course that it would be a skillful means for everyone..we come to these things with a range of emotional responses and personality types.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I do agree that what we think of as obstacles are often exactly the teacher that we best need at that moment. What often gets overlooked though is that the teaching that it offers might just be as much about focusing on something as about not obsessing's on it.

• Well put.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

I very much liked @federica insight and not being swallowed by noise, opinion or partiality.

Personally I am an obsessive. Fanatically or extremely so. I may bee an agent of chaos? [lobster hangs head and tail in shame]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic

How to loosen up, let go, hear the other voices? Well here is the buzzz ...

• Believe in butter better
    • Call on Buddha pow-wow power. Boddhisattvas rule!
    • Friends are family. Mind your beings.

Like @federica and others I was bored born a Catholic. It is why I have monomaniacal monotheistic tendencies. For example the holy trinity - Father, Sun and Mr Spooky [from what I remember].

What if I was as deluded now as I was then? It does not bear thinking about ...

So I don't.
    [in theory]

Lobster rambles off into the sunset ...

...meanwhile ...
    http://doctorlobster.blogspot.com/

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    I very much liked @federica insight and not being swallowed by noise, opinion or partiality.

I agree with you @lobster, there is wisdom in her words.

How to lossen up, let go, hear the other voices? Well here is the buzzz ...

• Believe in butter better
    • Call on Buddha pow-wow power. Boddhisattvas rule!
    • Friends are family. Mind your beings.

It helps to spend some time around the dharma and the sangha, these things relax the mind and bring you into alignment for a little meditation. When in doubt, read dharma books with an aim to being inspired.

• We can hear a mediation pin clang drop

mediation is The Middle Way between

1. meditation and zenning
    2. san-gha and Lady gha-gha
    3. the three jewels. compassion, wisdom and Truth
    4. 8 other Folds of the robbed Robed

Listen, observe, feel. Still moving ...

• I am not suggesting of course that it would be a skillful means for everyone..we come to these things with a range of emotional responses and personality types.

Exactly so. <3
    Believe it or not, the Buddha Nature is Nothing Impersonal. In other words it is:

• Neither black, white or blew
    • Correct in form but varied through expression
    • Unlimited by sane, crazy, dedicated, undisciplined, dharma fan gals ... etc
    • Discerning, aware, open, honest, skilled, additive free etc.
    • A malleable diamond

Choephal
  • @lobster
    HUH? What ya' say? Couldn't hear you over the earbuds.

• Pay attention: Two bucks were having a go at it for herd dominance. The cougar ate well that day.

• DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer

I'm trying to improve my musical taste. And that means in my opinion focusing on a narrower range of artists, rather than flying here and there indulging in mere 'hits.'

It's the difference between a nutritious meal and sugar candy. Or between fine German chocolate and... starbursts... not knocking starbursts but chocolate is ... a more mature dessert. IMHO.

We are all awash in a world of senses, but to truly get the most out of them, you need to pair it all down a bit. You have to seek the Real through these wonderful senses. Then the senses don't run away from you like shocked horses.

lobsterShoshin1

@lobster said:
    Still we are.

It reminds me of a saying by Papaji, that “if you can keep Quiet for just one second, all further searching becomes unnecessary.” Its interesting to see where his teachings are similar to Buddhism, and where they are not. When he was a young man he spent time in the Indian Army, and even towards the end of his life when he was asked by a young man who was about to be conscripted into the Israeli army, he mentioned some positives.